Another Phishing Scam ....

  • TonyW
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2013
      .... or two as yet another has just arrived! A word of warning though
      people. For a week now I have been pestered with messages purporting to be
      from PayPal, asking me to confirm my password details "as they had had a
      request for it to be changed from Germany". I contacted PayPal about this
      but they said they could do nothing about it as the email actually came from
      Paypal not them - note the lower case second "p" rather than the correct
      upper case"P", something it took me a while to spot. I have now received a
      similar email allegedly from eBay this time, threatening to freeze my Apple
      account if I don't confirm my account details !!! In both cases there is an
      attachment that they senders wish me to open, but which I deleted instead.
      Still, whoever has got my email details may well have other peoples' too,
      hence this warning.

      Take care!

      Tony Wells.
    • ROBERT TAMS
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2013
        Thank you, I too have been getting these (Paypal ?) emails and just mark them as spam.
        Damn nuiscance, My only problem is even I can't remember my own passwords most of the time so they are phishing in dead waters here!!!!

        Rob (Oxfordshire UK)

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2013
          In my job I see lots of phishing scams, the most dangerous for fooling people are the ones that purport to be from HMRC saying that you have a tax refund. They even have HMRC in the email address, but it should be .gov.uk, apart from the fact that HMRC will never email you - they send you a brown envelope!
          Any  members who are in business need to be aware of VAT phishing emails - in this case never reply to the email, instead log on through the official HMRC site or use a contact phone number from the same site. If you have an accountant processing your Vat  Returns then HMRC would usually be contacting them instead of you anyway.

          For members importing from abroad you may be susceptible to the rash of DHL/UPS and more recently Royal Mail  emails saying that your shipment has been delayed and to ring a number - a very expensive phonecall. As before, if you think it might be genuine then find the official phone number and ring that number, not the one off the email.

          As for marking these emails as spam, that is OK, but some IT people believe that you should never Block Sender, as that tells the sender that it is a live email address, so they then bombard you with spam emails.

          Finally, some people still use their full name as their email address, and worse, some even add their year of birth, eg alansmith1950@... - what a gift to the identity thief and so simple to change.

          Just my thoughts and I stand to be corrected. All hints and tips from others can only be beneficial

          Ken Dickson 4047