Whisky Still

  • frank.j.sharp@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2013
      I want a 7mm model of a whisky still, the rounded copper type with a tapered top that feeds out one side to the condenser. I've had a look on line but the only 'kits' I can find are HO and not the traditional 'Scottish/Scotch' style.

      I could turn one, but even in solid plastic it will be too heavy for the wagon I want to load.

      Anyone come across anything that might act as a starting point, something the shape of a dome of a Russian Orthodox church for example?

      Frank
    • Martin Rich
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2013
        Sounds like a 3D printing project. I met Andel Models today at a 16mm event at Telford today who showed me some of his projects in 3D printing. You could contact him.

        Regards

        Martin Rich
        Welshpool

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 2, 2013
          There is a Faller HO scale church with an onion spire top that may suit, plenty second hand on EBay.

          image.jpeg

          Sent from my iPad

          On 2 Dec 2013, at 00:09, "frank.j.sharp@..." <frank.j.sharp@...> wrote:

          I want a 7mm model of a whisky still, the rounded copper type with a tapered top that feeds out one side to the condenser. I've had a look on line but the only 'kits' I can find are HO and not the traditional 'Scottish/Scotch' style.

          I could turn one, but even in solid plastic it will be too heavy for the wagon I want to load.

          Anyone come across anything that might act as a starting point, something the shape of a dome of a Russian Orthodox church for example?

          Frank

        • David Hughes
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 2, 2013
            Otex produce a rubber bulb for removing wax from ears, available at most chemists. Google for an image.
            If you have to ask me how I know about it, you'll have to ASK IN A LOUD VOICE!
            David

            To: 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 2, 2013

               Fenris Games has some in various sizes:

              http://www.fenrisgames.com/shop.html#!/~/category/id=2457557&offset=0&sort=nameAsc

              Lots of other nice bits and pieces as well.

              Michael

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 2, 2013

                Michael and all,

                This looks as promising as anything I've seen. They do 'Onion' domes in various sizes and will cast me one 'as hollow as possible'.

                I'm not sure about the on site assembly, raising copper would be a skilled task and one of the reasons I'm interested is that I vaguely recall seeing a picture of one on a cart with a four horse team pulling.

                Ferris Games site is mainly 28mm figure scale, is that about S scale? Some things would do for 7mm though.

                Frank

                ___

              • Roger Whiffin
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 2, 2013

                  Would it not be best to start with a functioning 1:1 design - perfect it, measure up, then if you really care to - do a model?

                  RogerW

                • Rod Hutchinson
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 2, 2013

                    And I can come help test the product :-)

                    Rod Hutchinson
                    Growing Old Disgracefully
                    Mooroolbark, Australia

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 3, 2013

                      28mm is all over the place size wise, it is all rather annoying and embarrassing. The scale for vehicles ranges from 1/56th to 1/48th depending on personal taste, availability and expediency. I had no idea how badly distorted the figures were until I set one beside a Tamiya 1/48th scale figure, that was a sobering experience indeed, I was so used to the distorted 'wargaming standard'  figures the anatomically correct ones look really skinny and odd.

                      Did you see the crane? I bought a couple in April (at the big show Salute in London) but have not dared to tackle them yet, also having this daft new idea about actually finishing things is not helping.

                      Fenris among others do all sorts of useful pieces in resin, metal and lasercut plywood or MDF. I have been able to send of Corel Draw files and get my own things laser cut. Some of the laser cut buildings might be worth a look, the wild west ones would maybe go nicely with an on30 layout.

                      Were the kettles made in one piece or fabricated from sections? Surely the latter though that would be difficult, how do you solder something that size? Not the sort of thing you ask about during a distillery visit I would think, there are more interesting things around you, mostly liquids...

                      Michael