New Chassis and Motor needed

  • David Barnett
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 6, 2013

      Hi Frank,
      Thanks for the input the problem I have is being new to the 7mm scene and not knowing what this engine is?
      I have been told that this Lima motor is not suitable for DCC operation. The motor is a vertical lollipop shape.Plus plastic gearing.
      Also the wheel  motions are not running freely and the reversing link is bent causing the support hanger to detach itself from the frame.
      That is about the limit of my knowledge to date so any suggestions would be most helpful.

      Regards, Dave Barnett

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 6, 2013

        Dave,

        That’s the one. Basically the chassis is crap, I’ve never found one that runs really well. You used to be able to remotor it with a computer motor, that makes it a bit better, but the chap who made the ‘kit’ in Australia is as far as I know deceased. To use the Mercian chassis you’d need to be able to build a brass chassis, and add outside cranks. You say you are new to 7mm modelling, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that you haven’t made chassis in other scales. I just let on the Mercian HO dock tank chassis as being the right coupled wheelbase and Mercian when asked supplied just the etch, no wheels, gearbox or motor. Incidentally, Russell was just a modified Sierra Leone tank, same coupled wheelbase, slightly shorter total w.b. with the trucks so it should work for the Chivers kit.

        I have remotored one with the computer motor for a friend. I have one to do for myself, that will have the Mercian chassis. Whatever you do, there is very limited clearance for the truck wheels, especially if you use Kadees. I’ve had to cut some of the Kadee box away, and the trucks profit from being weighted, lots of lead.

        There was apparently a version of this kit with an etched chassis.

        When I do make mine up I’ll write it up for Narrow Lines, but Peter Page, don’t get excited, it might be YEARS away.

        Frank

      • ianj0trains
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 6, 2013

          Hi Frank,

          Are you able to elaborate on who in Australia you're referring to ? I know the person who designed the chassis for the Slaters L&M ( and some other etched kits,) has lived here for some years, but I can assure you he is alive and well, he is part of the modelling group I'm in.

          Cheers

          Ian J

          Melb, Aust.

          --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, <frank.j.sharp@...> wrote:

          Dave,

          That’s the one. Basically the chassis is crap, I’ve never found one that runs really well. You used to be able to remotor it with a computer motor, that makes it a bit better, but the chap who made the ‘kit’ in Australia is as far as I know deceased.

          SNIP

          mine up I’ll write it up for Narrow Lines, but Peter Page, don’t get excited, it might be YEARS away.

          Frank

        • Rod Hutchinson