Re: [7mm NGA] Dick Kerr P/E 0-14 chassis (proposed) Was: Re: Dick Kerr P/E wheels

  • Rod Hutchinson
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2013
      Hi Mike,

      I would be very interested in following your chassis build. Would you be
      in a position to provide a story in pictures?

      Rod Hutchinson
      Growing Old Disgracefully
      Mooroolbark, Australia

      On 4 September 2013 03:37, Michael Havron <pennsytrains@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Dick Kerr P/E 0-14 chassis (proposed)
      >
      > Hello Rod,
      >
      > Brian Wilson informs me that the Slaters' wheels have 1/8th inch axels.
      > This plays directly into what I had hoped to do. I have some Bowser bearing
      > blocks for 1/8th inch axels, as supplied in their old HO kits with brass
      > frames. The frame plates for these bearings are 1/32nd thick brass. So the
      > plan is to create a simple frame with two side plates cut out for these
      > bearings (and sprung), with two cross plates or bars, that will be attach
      > to the S&D body with the screws that hold the body together.
      >
      > Northwest Short Line makes small gearboxes for 1/8th inch axels, so two of
      > these will supply power transmission to the wheels. I have not yet decided
      > how to power the gearboxes. A "conventional" power truck design, with one
      > motor and an end tower could be used. Photos of such a truck are on the
      > Internet. I will probably opt for two motors, one for each gearbox. There
      > is plenty of room inside the shell for two small motors, a decoder and a
      > small speaker.
      >
      > As you can tell, only the two frame plates, bearing retainers and the
      > spacers have to be manufactured. Everything else is straight forward
      > assemble of commercial parts.
      >
      > Anyway, that's the plan . . .
      >
      > Mike Havron
      >
      > Lebanon OH USA

    • trainsinlebanon
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 5, 2013

        OK   Thanks for the tip.

         &*() Spell Check anyway!   It's the "there- their - they're" problem . . .

        Mike H.
        --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, <heatonwood@...> wrote:

        Hi Mike. Don't forget to get two 6v motors wired in series not 12v in parallel. Otherwise your decoder will not know which back emf voltage is from which and will get its knickers in a twist.
        BTW do you really spell axles like that? I knew that Americans can't spell colour but not that one.... Paul
      • trainsinlebanon
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 5, 2013

          Hi Rod,

          Well, OK, if you insist . . .    But be advised that my writing and photo skills are equal or below my spelling ability . . .   And I will be several days (or weeks) acquiring all the bits and pieces.

          More whan I actually have something to show.

          Mike H.