Ballast Wagon

  • vannerley
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 27, 2013
      Dear All

      I am building a new ballast wagon for the Muehlviertelbahn and would like to fit a control wheel to the gizmo that opens the bottom of the hopper - the sort of thing one might see on a screw reverser, about 15" dia. Suggestions for a suitable brass casting would be very welcome.

      This does not mean that I have finished the coaches project, merely that my shoebox project for the family holiday is different!

      David Vannerley
      2284
    • George Morris
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 27, 2013
        Laurie Griffin / Shedmaster have a couple of general purpose handwheels, see items 16-11 and 12:

        http://www.lgminiatures.co.uk/New_Catalogue_with%20Prices_for_2012.pdf

        he also does castings of actual screw reversers in various shapes and styles

        George!

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 27, 2013
          Allen Doherty of Worsley Works does a small fret of handwheels, based on the brake handwheels on the WHR's South African bogie wagons.

          Adrian

          --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "vannerley" <vannerley@...> wrote:

          > Dear All
          >
          > I am building a new ballast wagon for the Muehlviertelbahn and would like to fit a control wheel to the gizmo that opens the bottom of the hopper - the sort of thing one might see on a screw reverser, about 15" dia. Suggestions for a suitable brass casting would be very welcome.
          >
          > This does not mean that I have finished the coaches project, merely that my shoebox project for the family holiday is different!
          >
          > David Vannerley
          > 2284

        • Frank Hodsman
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 28, 2013
            Hi, re. Handwheels.
            A quick and cheap handwheel supply:- Strip a short length of TV coax cable,
            remove the shielding braid and the centre solid core. The remaining white
            polythene insulation can be sliced thinly and there you have as many
            "handwheels" as you need. They do not come up to the standard of the handwheel
            frets mentioned, but can "Do for the time being" until the better ones arrive.

            Frank Hodsman 1378

            > On 27 August 2013 at 22:03 adriangrayfr <adrian@...>
            > wrote:
            >

            > Allen Doherty of Worsley Works does a small fret of handwheels, based on the
            > brake handwheels on the WHR's South African bogie wagons.
            >
            > Adrian
            >
            > --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com <mailto:7mmnga%40yahoogroups.com> , "vannerley"
            > <vannerley@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Dear All
            > >
            > > I am building a new ballast wagon for the Muehlviertelbahn and would like
            > > to fit a control wheel to the gizmo that opens the bottom of the hopper -
            > > the sort of thing one might see on a screw reverser, about 15" dia.
            > > Suggestions for a suitable brass casting would be very welcome.
            > >
            > > This does not mean that I have finished the coaches project, merely that my
            > > shoebox project for the family holiday is different!
            > >
            > > David Vannerley
            > > 2284

          • Howard Clarke
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 28, 2013
              Hi David
              I bought several different etches of hand wheels from Bill Bedford Models, 32 Hanbury Road, Pontypool, NP4 6QQ Tel: 01495 753931, wheels come in assorted sizes.
              IKB Models sold by Kay Butler does an etch but only 4 wheels suitable for your need on etch.
              Hope this helps
              Howard 215

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 28, 2013
                Grateful thanks for all your helpful suggestions

                David Vannerley