RE: [7mm NGA] Mystery Locomotive

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 5, 2013
      Mac,

      If you are an association member you'll find a description in Narrow Lines
      about a year ago. www.7mmnga.org <http://www.7mmnga.org/> for details on
      how to join!

      However the loco is mine. It is a Branchlines kit but modified. Chris
      Peacock of Calstock fame scratch built a version for narrow gauge based on a
      couple of photos of a standard gauge loco. Andy Mullins who then owned
      Branchlines saw it, borrowed it and made a brass kit. As the kit comes it
      makes up as an 'under retort' loco for a gas works, similar to Dougal on the
      Welshpool, squat chimney and no cab. I've added the taller chimney and a
      cab. It has the original 'Eagle' chassis but not the drive, that's now a
      High Level 108:1 gearbox with a Mashima in the boiler. It also has a
      flywheel.

      If you want to build one I hope you'll find the NL article useful.

    • meconicuk
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 6, 2013
        --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Sharp" wrote:

        > Mac,
        >

        > If you are an association member you'll find a description in Narrow
        Lines
        > about a year ago. www.7mmnga.org for details on
        > how to join!
        >

        > However the loco is mine. It is a Branchlines kit but modified. Chris
        > Peacock of Calstock fame scratch built a version for narrow gauge
        based on a
        > couple of photos of a standard gauge loco. Andy Mullins who then owned
        > Branchlines saw it, borrowed it and made a brass kit. As the kit comes
        it
        > makes up as an 'under retort' loco for a gas works, similar to Dougal
        on the
        > Welshpool, squat chimney and no cab. I've added the taller chimney and
        > cab. It has the original 'Eagle' chassis but not the drive, that's now
        > High Level 108:1 gearbox with a Mashima in the boiler. It also has a
        > flywheel.
        >

        > If you want to build one I hope you'll find the NL article useful.

        Frank.

        Thanks for the feedback.
        I found a Branchlines illustration of the Andrew Barclay PEACOCK kit.

        I've looked in the NGA Archives section for the article you mentioned
        but can find nothing that refers to Idryss or Andrew Barclay (maybe I'm
        typing the wrong phrases into the search engine!).
        Do you happen to know the title of the NL article, or the issue of NL it
        appeared in ?

        You might be interested in this Link...http://www.newhamstory.com/image
        <http://www.newhamstory.com/image>
        The WORK Gallery has some good photo's of the Beackton Gasworks engines.

        Mac(4471)

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 6, 2013
          Mac,

          The Peacock, the Eagle and the Dragon, that is the Branchlines kit, the
          Branchlines chassis and Idryss the dragon out of Ivor the Engine!

          Issue 194.

          Frank

          __

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 6, 2013
            Mac,

            The gas works loco is of the same ilk, but standard gauge. The second
            picture when it was 90 years old shows it had been well looked after. Not
            true that it was unique in having outside Stevenson link motion.

          • tom
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 6, 2013
              I know it's an imaginary prototype, but it rather reminds me of a sort of modernised version of this loco http://www.trainweb.org/loggingz/images2/barclay_jura.jpg

              Barclay 1090 of 1906 see here for more info http://www.trainweb.org/loggingz/barclay.html

              Tom
            • meconicuk
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 6, 2013
                Frank & Tom.

                Many thanks for the information provided.

                Mac
              • tom
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 6, 2013
                  As a matter of interest there is a photo of one of the original SG locos here - http://www.engrailhistory.info/r180.html

                  Tom
                • meconicuk
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 6, 2013
                    Thanks for posting this Link Tom. The Double Decked railway at Beckton
                    would make an
                    interesting industrial layout.

                    Mac