Re: Austrian ng coaches

  • vannerley
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 12, 2013
      Thank you for the extra info Klaus. I have only recently sent the photos to Worsley Works - I hope he will include the coaches now that the photos are available: it would be worth mentioning your interest to Allen Doherty.

      The prototype coach runs on a modified FMT chassis: the wheel base is almost exactly right but the balconies need extension so I will be writing this up in due course. I have been amassing a heap of chassis ready for the 'great leap forward'.

      As a side issue I have had to develop a range of ideas for using up the FMT coach bodies and have an article on that drafted. Any one want a chicken house?!

      Further details will follow as the project progresses.
    • James C
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 16, 2013
        Dear David, et Al,

        Firstly I have been having computer problems again, 7mm NGA emails turning up in my spam box. Apologies if you have not received emails from me.

        Secondly,David, I have been thinking, but you have probably already thought of this. How well does FMT coaches and box wagons take superglue and are they easy to saw apart? By gluing 2 together and with some appropriate or inappropriate bogies a new range of coaches and waogon could be made.
        I would have done this a long time ago with my Chinese coaches and wagons, but the resin/plastic is thick and I would need a bench mounted circular saw and clamp or vice to get an accurate cut. Just a 4t.
        Best wishes,
        James

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 16, 2013
          It is possible James - indeed I have but no longer run an 8 window bogie coach: the trouble is that it looks out of place and because of the window spacing being much too close it is not very satisfying. The FMT coaches are barely 3/4 the length they should be and sticking two together somehow magnifies that.

          Continental Modeller did an article a very long time ago in which someone at the Peco workshop built such a coach - and used parts of the underframe to create bogies.

          Having said that, I have seen some double length freight stock that looked more convincing, vaguely Bosnian - or perhaps the Mariazellerbahn on a misty day (!) - that might be because the freight stock is more broadly correct in the first place. But there, I guess the (Koenigliche)Ruritanische Staatseisenbahn can run whatever its CME fancies ...

          2284
          David Vannerley
        • James C
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 17, 2013
            Dear David,
            Yes. It is one of the benefits, and no rivet counters.