FW: Minimum track radius

  • David Clark
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 9, 2013
      Hi There
      What would members suggest for the minimum radius to get the following locomotives round, a Leek and Manifold locomotive and a K1?
      I think these are the longest locomotives I am likely to run.
      Regards David

      This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please reply to this email and then delete it. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the sender company.The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The sender company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. Copyright in this e-mail and any attachments created by the sender belong to the sender company.

    • Howard Clarke
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 9, 2013
        Hi David
        Not sure about K1 but a Slaters L&M 2-6-4T would squeeze around a 4-foot radius curve with a bit of luck
        Howard 215

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 9, 2013
          Thank you Howard 214.
          Now to learn Templot.
          Regards David

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 9, 2013
            Hi David
            Scale radii are 6 foot (L &M - 4 chains) and 115cm (WHR - 50metres). Note imperial for ancient railway and metric for modern. The curve off the Brittannia Bridge in Porthmadog is 50m.
            My Leek loco is unpowered as yet but will push round a 1 in 8 point and I think will go round a tighter than 6 foot radius. The layout though will only have a six foot minimum. That is with three chassis modifications as recommended here in old posts. Get rid of daft springs on trailing bogie; create more clearance above both front truck and rear bogie. I think then it would PROBABLY go round a four foot curve but have not tried. As my track gauge is 17.5mm I have not been able to push round any flexitrack.
            Paul
          • Stephen Holland
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 9, 2013
              Just found the photos I posted of the L&M frame modifications to get the model to go round curves - they are at
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/7mmnga/photos/album/983120085/pic/list
              Ashamed to say that the thing is still not finished!

              Regards

              Steve

              On 9 Jul 2013, at 18:58, "Paul Holmes" <heatonwood@...> wrote:

              > Hi David
              > Scale radii are 6 foot (L &M - 4 chains) and 115cm (WHR - 50metres). Note imperial for ancient railway and metric for modern. The curve off the Brittannia Bridge in Porthmadog is 50m.
              > My Leek loco is unpowered as yet but will push round a 1 in 8 point and I think will go round a tighter than 6 foot radius. The layout though will only have a six foot minimum. That is with three chassis modifications as recommended here in old posts. Get rid of daft springs on trailing bogie; create more clearance above both front truck and rear bogie. I think then it would PROBABLY go round a four foot curve but have not tried. As my track gauge is 17.5mm I have not been able to push round any flexitrack.
              > Paul

            • John C
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 10, 2013
                My 14mm gauge K1 will happily go around 28" radius curves although I had rearranged the pivot points and added compensation. The curves are superelevated and have a degree of gauge widening.

                John

                --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, David Clark <david.clark@...> wrote:

                > Hi There
                > What would members suggest for the minimum radius to get the following locomotives round, a Leek and Manifold locomotive and a K1?
                > I think these are the longest locomotives I am likely to run.
                > Regards David
                >

                > This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please reply to this email and then delete it. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the sender company.The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The sender company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. Copyright in this e-mail and any attachments created by the sender belong to the sender company.

              • Bob Thornton
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 10, 2013
                  G'day,

                  K1 managed 1½ chains in Tassie...... :-))

                  and 1 in 25.

                  cheers
                  Bob

                  --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Holmes" <heatonwood@...> wrote:

                  > Hi David
                  > Scale radii are 6 foot (L &M - 4 chains) and 115cm (WHR - 50metres). Note imperial for ancient railway and metric for modern. The curve off the Brittannia Bridge in Porthmadog is 50m.
                  > My Leek loco is unpowered as yet but will push round a 1 in 8 point and I think will go round a tighter than 6 foot radius. The layout though will only have a six foot minimum. That is with three chassis modifications as recommended here in old posts. Get rid of daft springs on trailing bogie; create more clearance above both front truck and rear bogie. I think then it would PROBABLY go round a four foot curve but have not tried. As my track gauge is 17.5mm I have not been able to push round any flexitrack.
                  > Paul

                • ianj0trains
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 10, 2013
                    Hi David,

                    Regrettably I never seem to finish layouts I start, but on the current project I have a 180 degree curve that is just over 3' radius, and the L&M will go around that without difficulty.

                    However, as noted by others, it does need to be modified. Mine has the lateral springing in the rear bogie reduced to about 50% of the original pressure, and the front truck clearance in the frames needs to be opened up. I think I also lengthened the front truck mounting slightly to give it a bit more clearance from the cylinders.

                    Regards

                    Ian J
                    Melb, Aust.