Re: [7mm NGA] Re: AGM

  • Andrew Young
    Message 1 of 40 , Jun 12, 2013
      Hi Pete,

      Welcome to the Association, thank you for your kind words about the Convention, much appreciated.

      The Association is in the main a happy bunch, surprisingly so for such a 'broad church' association. I'm sure if there's any questions you have, someone on here will be able to answer them.

      Regarding our group's layout, as Paul has mentioned, its taking a rest at the moment (definitely a sleeping Parrott rather than a dead one...) though even when it's back out exhibiting, the chances of it appearing at Burton are slim as those members who would be setting it up in time for the show are instead busy marking out the hall, showing exhibitors & traders where there are and helping set up, providing them with electricity, setting out chairs and tables and sorting out the car park. Then during the day we help man the door and sort those 101 jobs that crop up rather than operate the layout and then in the evening take it all down again. Plus during the day, four of the group members are already busy running Port Wynnstay and EDM Models trade stands. Thus the layout is unlikely to attend the Convention, unless a lot of the work during the day is done by others I'm afraid, we're already first in and last out!

      As for the bar, the Council keep changing who we are allowed to use and this was their first year at it. Seeing as this was also the first time I've seen Tim resorting to drinking the black Irish stuff, if they're the people who we have to get the bar from next year, I'm sure Tim will be having words about bringing enough beer!

      Cheers,
      Andrew
      (Convention Co-Ordinator Chap)

      On Jun 12, 2013, at 23:57, "Pete Lynes" <petedotlynes@...> wrote:

      > Hi All
      >
      > I travelled to the AGM from Dewsbury (but then, everyone's got to come from
      > somewhere)
      >
      > I joined 7mmnga earlier this year, just too late for NGN
      >
      > I liked the look of 7mmnga because the members I spoke to, and read about,
      > were happy to talk about such rarities as fun and enjoyment with our hobby
      >
      > I've been a member of other societies, local and national, and over the
      > years, found that so many of the folk there had started believing their own
      > hype, that membership was serious hard work.
      >
      > I met 7mmnga members at York, and at GOG at Cleckheaton. They've all been
      > approachable, even friendly, articulate, interesting and knowledgeable in
      > their own interests.
      >
      > The impression I got from spending the day at Burton, was of a very neat,
      > friendly exhibition, and an AGM that showed all the signs of a society that
      > was happy with itself
      >
      > My view, for what it's worth, is that the format is spot-on, don't mess with
      > it, though if you could ensure that the bar doesn't run out of beer, I'm
      > sure that it would be appreciated by many!
      >
      > I met and chatted with a whole bunch of modellers, traders (not mutually
      > exclusive categories) and visitors, and came away inspired
      >
      > My only disappointment was that I didn't get another view of the most
      > excellent "Park Road, Ashbourne", even though that must be a nightmare to
      > show for only one day! (you can't have everything!)
      >
      > Many congrats to the whole team, I viewed my day at Burton as well-spent!
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Pete Lynes (#4431)

      > This email has been scanned by iomartcloud.
      > http://www.iomartcloud.com

    • Andrew Young
      Message 40 of 40 , Jun 20, 2013
        Hi Frank,

        Ah yes, knew I'd miss something off by rushing the plan. Didn't look right when I did it but not twigged until you said! The layout is Tony Kell's excellent Raccoon Canyon Mining.

        My address is in Narrow News.... But should you not be able to find one its:
        7 Church Street, Tutbury, Burton-upon-Trent, Staffordshire. DE13 9JE.

        I'm around next week, but then away the week after in Wales so will go through the cd as soon as it arrives.

        Cheers,
        Andrew