EMA Plastic Weld Substitute

  • mick7ng
    Message 1 of 8 , May 15, 2013
      Does anybodyknow of a substitute for 'EMA Plastic Weld' in the UK. For model making in plastic I use both 'EMA Plastic Weld' and MEK for buiding, but I find 'EMA Plastic Weld' is better for some plastics and tend to use this in preference to MEK.

      Regards Mike Lee
      Message 2 of 8 , May 15, 2013
        Dichloromethane, available in little bottles at model shows and much cheaper
        by the gallon for the net.

        Frank

        _____

        Message 3 of 8 , May 15, 2013
          Hi Mike
          For your information EMA Plastic Weld contained Chlorine.
          All Chlorine solvents Carbon Tetrachloride; Chloroform and Dichloromethane are now classed as carcinogens and banned from sale except to registered chemistry installations.
          Finding an alternative will not be easy
          Regards
          Howard 215
          EX Chemist
          Message 4 of 8 , May 15, 2013
            Howard,

            Dichloromethane available by the gallon on the net, no problems. On e-bay at
            £24 a gallon, I’m sure I paid half that. Look around.

            Frank, another ex chemist!

            _____

            Message 5 of 8 , May 15, 2013
              way back (early 1970's) I was told (by a proffesional modelmaker) that dichloromethane was 'dodgy' stuff and difficult to get hold of.  Oddly though I just 'googled'  it and found you can buy it from Amazon!
              amongst others.  Read the health warnings before using it. Loads of info. on Google.

              This is like most things these days it seems ......."bad for you" ... HSE rules the world NOT the meek!!!
              What happened to Common Sense?

              Regards,
              Rob
              Message 6 of 8 , May 16, 2013
                Rob wrote:

                "What happened to Common Sense?"

                The last traces disappeared in Britain with the emergence of UKIP.

                Cross the Channel and you will find that it mysteriously reappears in bucket fulls.

                David Woodcock

                Message 7 of 8 , May 16, 2013
                  Friends,

                  Please can we remember that this is a discussion group dealing with model railways (and a bit of prototype, if it helps).
                  It is not a political forum.

                  Adrian - Moderating

                  --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, David Woodcock <dandewoodcock@...> wrote:

                  > Rob wrote:
                  >
                  > "What happened to Common Sense?"
                  >
                  > The last traces disappeared in Britain with the emergence of UKIP.
                  >
                  > Cross the Channel and you will find that it mysteriously reappears in bucket fulls.
                  >
                  > David Woodcock

                • mick7ng
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 23, 2013
                    Thanks for the information everybody. I think for the amount I use I will stick with EMA Plastic Weld.

                    Regards Mike Lee