Re: [7mm NGA] Extended Peco Coaches

  • TonyW
    Message 1 of 9 , May 14, 2013
      Thanks Howard, but I’ve not seen any Peco end panels, only sides, glazing and chasses. Would I therefore have to make those from such as Plastikard or even laminate suitable ends from my card coaches?

      Regards,

      Tony.

      Message 2 of 9 , May 14, 2013
        Tony,

        Howard is quite right, the individual panels do work, they make a much
        taller side than joining the small coaches. However if you starting adding
        it all up, they are expensive and IF you use their glazing you can have a
        lot of unused bits left. The framing inside will cut away and you can glaze
        with normal sheet material. You are on your own for ends, floors and roofs.
        If you settle for 2 inch radius roof I can form plasticard for you as per
        the article in the last NL.

      • Howard Clarke
        Message 3 of 9 , May 14, 2013
          Tony
          The introduction of the PECO individual coach sides came about when I was Trade Liaison Officer for the Association.
          I agreed with Michael Pritchard at the time for the SIDES ONLY so that individual modellers could make up the width to suite their own railway, to this end Michael suggested a groove on the inner sides to take 40 thou thick plasticard for the floor and bogie mounting, I use the Ratio Diamond Frame bogie with 12mm diameter wheels.
          The ends of my coaches are exactly the same as a Peco 4-wheel coach keeping one spare end as a master.
          I wrote an article in Narrow Lines 194 on my methods of coach construction albeit using Port Wynnstay coaches but the same method applies to the PECO coach sides, the coaches won me an Association trophy!
          Yet to be publicised are two more articles on coach construction using the Peco individual coach sides, one covers making 0 gauge coaches for my standard gauge light railway.
          Try the parts and I am sure you will find them far better than using the 4-wheel coach parts.
          Happy modelling
          Howard 215

          Message 4 of 9 , May 16, 2013
            Dear Tony,
            I am suprised that Howard (if you look back 2 or 3 AGMS you will see examples of Howard´s coach work) hasnot mentioned his best tip. Use 4.5 cm,s venetian blind slats for roofs.
            best wishes,
            James Corsi

            --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "TonyW" <tony.wells@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Howard, but I’ve not seen any Peco end panels, only sides, glazing and chasses. Would I therefore have to make those from such as Plastikard or even laminate suitable ends from my card coaches?
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Tony.

          • TonyW
            Message 5 of 9 , May 16, 2013
              Thanks James – a good idea! I am also building some short 4-wheel coaches with some card bodies I re-scaled from 16mm and will also need some roofs for them too, even if these extended coaches don’t work out.