RE: [7mm NGA] MEK substitute

    Message 1 of 5 , May 12, 2013
      Ian,

      Perhaps more for our UK members, but may apply to Dutch products too. I had
      for a long time used Polypipe's Pipe Cleaner. Intended to clean PVC pipe
      prior to using PVC pipe adhesive or primer on ABS pipe. It worked well and I
      assumed it was fairly pure MEK. Recent purchases simply don't work, there is
      much less solvating action, and though it still smells of MEK it is not as
      strong smelling as before and I'm guessing there is something else in there.
      Maybe that's to placate the Health and Safety regulations and moves it down
      into some lower category.

      The solution, dreadful pun, was to go on line and buy a gallon bottle. I
      also bought a gallon of Dichloromethane which is a better solvent for some
      grades of ABS. Unfortunately I couldn't find a supplier who had both so it
      cost two lots of courier charges, the post office won't touch it, though I
      doubt the courier drivers have any better training or a clue as to what
      either is or does or what to do if the container bursts. I'm fortunate on
      living alone, no kids or pets to worry about with this sort of thing about,
      even then it is kept locked away.

      Frank

      ._,___

    • Howard Clarke
      Message 2 of 5 , May 12, 2013
        If you find a printer that still uses that old type method then he will get a 5 litre can of MEK (Buto-1-one) for around £11 (Plus VAT if you do not have cash)
        Howard

        Message 3 of 5 , May 12, 2013
          Hello all!
          Why look for substitutes when the real thing is available from API chemicals on 'fleabay'.
          Try METHYL ETHYL KETONE MEK 500ML BUTANONE
          Item: 121056670255
          At £8.45 it sounds reasonable compared with the usual small quantity prices. I am not connected with this company but am a happy customer for MEK and iso-propanol.
          Happy modelling from a very damp Gloucestershire, Mick J. No. 2823.
        • Kevin Staddon
          Message 4 of 5 , May 15, 2013
            Thanks for the tip.
            Ordered on line Tuesday, arrived following morning by Royal Mail.
            Kev S
            www.exemrs.co.uk