Re: [7mm NGA] Using Kadee couplers on skips

  • Rod Hutchinson
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 17, 2013
      Hi John,

      What brand are the skips you bought?

      Rod Hutchinson
      On Apr 17, 2013 6:25 PM, "John Dennis" <jdennis412@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Hi All,
      >
      > I have a recollection of reading an article about a method of using Kadee
      > couplers on 7mm NG skips. From memory the couplers were pinned through the
      > shank (so no use of a coupler box) and the inside ends of the coupler
      > shanks were connected by a chain to provide some self-centering.
      >
      > Can anybody remember this? I'm not certain whether I saw this online or in
      > Narrow Lines - and my magazines are currently in a difficult to get to
      > place. I'm happy to hunt through them, but it would be nice if I could get
      > some confirmation as to where this article was.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > John Dennis
      > 2526

    • John Dennis
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 17, 2013
        Rod,

        I haven't bought anything. These will be scratchbuilt (master and cast most
        likely).

        John

        On 17 April 2013 18:41, Rod Hutchinson <rodhutchy@...> wrote:

        > Hi John,
        >
        > What brand are the skips you bought?
        >
        > Rod Hutchinson

      • Rod Hutchinson
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 17, 2013
          I have just bought a Model Co. 7mm Malcolm Moore. Not sure what is going
          to pull just yet.

          Rod Hutchinson

          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 17, 2013
            John,

            Guilty as charged.

            The pins are GEM track pins which whilst still being small enough to go
            through a hole in the coupler are more robust than Peco. The chain needs to
            be heavy enough to centre the couplings.

            The Wrightlines skips are assembled with low melt solder. The frames are two
            sides in the form of a C. Where they join I let in a small piece of the
            smallest KS Metal rectangular box section. Keep them in line with a square
            lollipop stick as you solder. The coupling fits in there. You need a second
            hole next to the 'ring'. You cut the ring off. You'll need something to join
            the chain into this second hole, look on Squires for the 2mm brass rings. At
            the moment they haven't any, try Cornwall Boats. If possible assemble
            coupler and chain then pin.

            I've just done some of Noneminstrie's skips. They are smaller and lower so
            here I've used Kadees with the underslung shank and mounted them on top of
            the frames. On one version I just couldn't get in and the chain is in two
            sections tied together with thread. It is under the skip so out of sight. I
            have toyed with the idea of drilling up the length of the shank once the
            ring has been cut off and running a piece of guitar wire between the
            couplers. I don't think they'd work glued in so the hole would have to be
            quite long and I doubt my ability to drill it long enough and accurate
            enough.

            I've some pictures to take in the next few days for yet another article for
            Peter Page, not the skips but I'll take a few photos for you to see how it
            was done.

            Frank

            _____

            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 17, 2013
              Hi Rod and John,

              Co-incidentally, I have a very similar project on the workbench. I have one
              Malcolm Moore complete, and a second one in the process of being built. I am
              using 16.5 mm Black Beetles, and for the skips, I am using the Bachmann On30
              V-Dump skips. These come standard with Kaydee style couplers, and this
              weekend, I will need to work-out how to couple the skips to the MM which was
              built with the hook and pin coupling.

              I like the Bachmann skips. I know that they are quarter inch scale, but they
              are big. They are also very heavy, and the project I am working on will have
              a moderate grade, and my belief is that this will be OK for the Black
              Beetle, however this will need to be tested in the next few weeks.

              I am not sure from your postings what gauge you are modelling?

              Cheers
              Bruce Wood
              Sydney, Australia

              I have just bought a Model Co. 7mm Malcolm Moore. Not sure what is going
              to pull just yet.

              Rod Hutchinson
              On Apr 17, 2013 6:45 PM, "John Dennis" <jdennis412@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Rod,
              >
              > I haven't bought anything. These will be scratchbuilt (master and cast
              > most
              > likely).
              >
              > John
              >
              > On 17 April 2013 18:41, Rod Hutchinson <rodhutchy@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Hi John,
              > >
              > > What brand are the skips you bought?
              > >
              > > Rod Hutchinson

            • John Dennis
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 17, 2013
                Thanks for your reply Frank,

                Was this published in Narrow Lines? If so, do you recall the issue number?
                I'm sure I can work it out from the article, which if I remember had
                photographs.

                My skips need to be scratchbuilt, and are quite different to those from
                Wrightlines. The prototype was wooden framed to start with, and they were
                equipped with link and pin couplers with a nice spring sitting in clear
                view behind the headstock. I am contemplating trying to use springs myself,
                rather than chains, for the centering, so the main thing I am interested in
                relates to the hacking around of the kadee.

                John

              • John Dennis
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 17, 2013
                  Hi Bruce,

                  If your question about gauge is directed to me, then my gauge will 16.5mm.
                  However the scale is 1/35.

                  John

                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 17, 2013
                    John,

                    I don't seem to have an article in my NL file so maybe not. There doesn't
                    seem to be anything in photo albums here either. I THINK I thought of it,
                    but maybe someone else came up with the idea, I've seen it and
                    subconsciously reinvented it.

                    The photos when I do them will be fairly self explanatory.

                    Frank
                  • John Dennis
                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 17, 2013
                      Frank,

                      Well, if that's the case I have no idea where I saw the idea (maybe online
                      somewhere?) but I would appreciate your photos very much.

                      John

                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 17, 2013
                        Have you explored Narrow Gauge & Industrial Railway Modelling Review?

                        I have an idea Roy Link tried fitting Kadees to some of his little skips.

                        I'm afraid I can't quote chapter and verse as a large number of my Reviews are away being bound.

                        Adrian

                        --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, John Dennis <jdennis412@...> wrote:

                        > Frank,
                        >
                        > Well, if that's the case I have no idea where I saw the idea (maybe online
                        > somewhere?) but I would appreciate your photos very much.
                        >
                        > John
                        >

                        > On 17 April 2013 20:04, Frank Sharp <frank.j.sharp@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > **
                        > >

                        > > John,
                        > >
                        > > I don't seem to have an article in my NL file so maybe not. There doesn't
                        > > seem to be anything in photo albums here either. I THINK I thought of it,
                        > > but maybe someone else came up with the idea, I've seen it and
                        > > subconsciously reinvented it.
                        > >
                        > > The photos when I do them will be fairly self explanatory.
                        > >
                        > > Frank

                      • stuart
                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 17, 2013
                          maybe it was in NG&I mag ?

                          stuart

                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 17, 2013
                            Yes, Roy Link did have such an article, back in issue 13. But that was
                            installing N scale couplers (then Kadee, now Micro-Trains) into Rugga skip
                            chassis. That approach is not suitable for me - the N scale couplers don't
                            work very well with the HO sized I use on other items of rolling stock.

                            Frank's approach uses HO couplings.

                            John
                            On Apr 18, 2013 4:02 AM, "adriangrayfr" <adrian@...>
                            wrote:

                            > **
                            >

                            > Have you explored Narrow Gauge & Industrial Railway Modelling Review?
                            >
                            > I have an idea Roy Link tried fitting Kadees to some of his little skips.
                            >
                            > I'm afraid I can't quote chapter and verse as a large number of my Reviews
                            > are away being bound.
                            >
                            > Adrian
                            >
                            > --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, John Dennis <jdennis412@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Frank,
                            > >
                            > > Well, if that's the case I have no idea where I saw the idea (maybe
                            > online
                            > > somewhere?) but I would appreciate your photos very much.
                            > >
                            > > John
                            > >

                            > > On 17 April 2013 20:04, Frank Sharp <frank.j.sharp@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > > **
                            > > >

                            > > > John,
                            > > >
                            > > > I don't seem to have an article in my NL file so maybe not. There
                            > doesn't
                            > > > seem to be anything in photo albums here either. I THINK I thought of
                            > it,
                            > > > but maybe someone else came up with the idea, I've seen it and
                            > > > subconsciously reinvented it.
                            > > >
                            > > > The photos when I do them will be fairly self explanatory.
                            > > >
                            > > > Frank

                          • tom bell
                            Message 13 of 22 , Apr 17, 2013
                              You might like to know I do a 1:32 skip that takes Kadee 5 boxes - it would
                              also work as a larger On30 skip http://shpws.me/lWat

                              Tom

                            • John Dennis
                              Message 14 of 22 , Apr 17, 2013
                                Thanka Tom,

                                I was aware of your 1/32 skips - but the prototype I am modelling were
                                nothing like those at all. They had wooden underframes to start with,
                                amongst a lot of other things which make modelling interesting (as in
                                difficult), like a pair of coil springs on each axlebox.

                                I have uploaded our drawing of the prototype here, for information:

                                http://s164.photobucket.com/user/duttonbay/media/Stannary%20Hills%20Mining%20and%20Tramway%20Co%20Ltd/SHorehopper_zpseb759e20.png.html

                                tinyurl in case that one gets yahooed: *http://tinyurl.com/c4frqm5

                                *
                                *John
                                *

                                Message 15 of 22 , Apr 18, 2013
                                  John, Tom and all in this thread.

                                  First, there are now some pictures which to save starting another album are
                                  in Canals. They should show up on new photos anyway. I think they are fairly
                                  self explanatory, as I said in an earlier post, either mounted on the frame
                                  and with underslung shanks where needed or through the frames on the
                                  Wrightlines. You'll see on the underside of the U tipper where I've joined
                                  two bits of chain with thread, tweezers or no tweezers I just couldn't do it
                                  any other way.

                                  The link between to coupler and chain on the Wrightlines is a Smiths 4mm
                                  coupling link, but the rest are brass model ship builders rings at a
                                  fraction of the price,

                                  I was wary about the strength of the coupler pocket on the Wrightlines, K S
                                  rectangular box section brass solder in with Carrs 100. I note Tom uses the
                                  same design on printed resin. I've seen an article in Model Rail about
                                  painting printed resin and the pressure of the brush was enough to damage
                                  the model. Will printed resin so fine work reliably Tom?

                                  Hope it helps, sorry about all the spilt concrete in the way!

                                  Frank

                                  P.S. I'm still wondering whether I thought of it or nicked the idea. I used
                                  the same method on a Roy Link Lister years ago. I have a full set of NG&IRMR
                                  now but wouldn't have had then.
                                • tom bell
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Apr 18, 2013
                                    Its not resin these are printed in,m but slithered nylon - it's very strong.

                                    Tom

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Apr 18, 2013
                                      Tom,

                                      Slithered or sintered? The latter I can find on the net and as I was in a
                                      different branch of the plastics industry I follow the principle. I just
                                      slide about on the former.

                                      What's it like for taking and holding paint?

                                      Frank
                                    • tom bell
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Apr 18, 2013
                                        Yes, sintered, sorry my dyslexia kicking in.

                                        Takes paint very well - has a slightly porous surface. I use artists
                                        acrylics on it, I also dye it first a rust brown colour, so that if the
                                        paint gets damaged in future you don't see the white plastic showing
                                        through. Being nylon you can use ordinary fabric on it, I use Rit.

                                        Tom

                                        On 18 April 2013 22:20, Frank Sharp <frank.j.sharp@...> wrote:

                                        > sintered

                                      • Phil Traxson
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Apr 18, 2013
                                          Frank

                                          Have a word with Paul (EDM) he's got some samples of Tom's work. We've just
                                          seen them at a 7mmNGA group meeting in Derby, quite impressed.

                                          Phil T.
                                          Port Wynnstay Models
                                          Slithered or sintered? The latter I can find on the net and as I was in a
                                          different branch of the plastics industry I follow the principle. I just
                                          slide about on the former.

                                          What's it like for taking and holding paint?

                                          Frank

                                          No virus found in this message.

                                          -----

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Apr 18, 2013
                                            hi
                                            i have some of toms products, maine 2ft trucks in on30 freight and
                                            passenger, also some talyllyn wagon turntables in 7mm.
                                            very nice

                                            stuart

                                            > Have a word with Paul (EDM) he's got some samples of Tom's work. We've
                                            > just
                                            > seen them at a 7mmNGA group meeting in Derby, quite impressed.
                                            >
                                            > Phil T.
                                            > Port Wynnstay Models
                                          • John Dennis
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Apr 18, 2013
                                              Thanks Frank,

                                              Much appreciated. You don't know where you got the idea from? I am
                                              wondering where I saw this before? I obviously had seen it otherwise I
                                              wouldn't have asked the question.

                                              John