Using Kadee couplers on skips

  • John Dennis
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 17, 2013
      Hi All,

      I have a recollection of reading an article about a method of using Kadee
      couplers on 7mm NG skips. From memory the couplers were pinned through the
      shank (so no use of a coupler box) and the inside ends of the coupler
      shanks were connected by a chain to provide some self-centering.

      Can anybody remember this? I'm not certain whether I saw this online or in
      Narrow Lines - and my magazines are currently in a difficult to get to
      place. I'm happy to hunt through them, but it would be nice if I could get
      some confirmation as to where this article was.

      Thanks,
      John Dennis
      2526

    • Rod Hutchinson
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 17, 2013
        Hi John,

        What brand are the skips you bought?

        Rod Hutchinson
        On Apr 17, 2013 6:25 PM, "John Dennis" <jdennis412@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I have a recollection of reading an article about a method of using Kadee
        > couplers on 7mm NG skips. From memory the couplers were pinned through the
        > shank (so no use of a coupler box) and the inside ends of the coupler
        > shanks were connected by a chain to provide some self-centering.
        >
        > Can anybody remember this? I'm not certain whether I saw this online or in
        > Narrow Lines - and my magazines are currently in a difficult to get to
        > place. I'm happy to hunt through them, but it would be nice if I could get
        > some confirmation as to where this article was.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > John Dennis
        > 2526

      • John Dennis
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 17, 2013
          Rod,

          I haven't bought anything. These will be scratchbuilt (master and cast most
          likely).

          John

          On 17 April 2013 18:41, Rod Hutchinson <rodhutchy@...> wrote:

          > Hi John,
          >
          > What brand are the skips you bought?
          >
          > Rod Hutchinson

        • Rod Hutchinson
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 17, 2013
            I have just bought a Model Co. 7mm Malcolm Moore. Not sure what is going
            to pull just yet.

            Rod Hutchinson

            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 17, 2013
              John,

              Guilty as charged.

              The pins are GEM track pins which whilst still being small enough to go
              through a hole in the coupler are more robust than Peco. The chain needs to
              be heavy enough to centre the couplings.

              The Wrightlines skips are assembled with low melt solder. The frames are two
              sides in the form of a C. Where they join I let in a small piece of the
              smallest KS Metal rectangular box section. Keep them in line with a square
              lollipop stick as you solder. The coupling fits in there. You need a second
              hole next to the 'ring'. You cut the ring off. You'll need something to join
              the chain into this second hole, look on Squires for the 2mm brass rings. At
              the moment they haven't any, try Cornwall Boats. If possible assemble
              coupler and chain then pin.

              I've just done some of Noneminstrie's skips. They are smaller and lower so
              here I've used Kadees with the underslung shank and mounted them on top of
              the frames. On one version I just couldn't get in and the chain is in two
              sections tied together with thread. It is under the skip so out of sight. I
              have toyed with the idea of drilling up the length of the shank once the
              ring has been cut off and running a piece of guitar wire between the
              couplers. I don't think they'd work glued in so the hole would have to be
              quite long and I doubt my ability to drill it long enough and accurate
              enough.

              I've some pictures to take in the next few days for yet another article for
              Peter Page, not the skips but I'll take a few photos for you to see how it
              was done.

              Frank

              _____

              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 17, 2013
                Hi Rod and John,

                Co-incidentally, I have a very similar project on the workbench. I have one
                Malcolm Moore complete, and a second one in the process of being built. I am
                using 16.5 mm Black Beetles, and for the skips, I am using the Bachmann On30
                V-Dump skips. These come standard with Kaydee style couplers, and this
                weekend, I will need to work-out how to couple the skips to the MM which was
                built with the hook and pin coupling.

                I like the Bachmann skips. I know that they are quarter inch scale, but they
                are big. They are also very heavy, and the project I am working on will have
                a moderate grade, and my belief is that this will be OK for the Black
                Beetle, however this will need to be tested in the next few weeks.

                I am not sure from your postings what gauge you are modelling?

                Cheers
                Bruce Wood
                Sydney, Australia

                I have just bought a Model Co. 7mm Malcolm Moore. Not sure what is going
                to pull just yet.

                Rod Hutchinson
                On Apr 17, 2013 6:45 PM, "John Dennis" <jdennis412@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Rod,
                >
                > I haven't bought anything. These will be scratchbuilt (master and cast
                > most
                > likely).
                >
                > John
                >
                > On 17 April 2013 18:41, Rod Hutchinson <rodhutchy@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Hi John,
                > >
                > > What brand are the skips you bought?
                > >
                > > Rod Hutchinson

              • John Dennis
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 17, 2013
                  Thanks for your reply Frank,

                  Was this published in Narrow Lines? If so, do you recall the issue number?
                  I'm sure I can work it out from the article, which if I remember had
                  photographs.

                  My skips need to be scratchbuilt, and are quite different to those from
                  Wrightlines. The prototype was wooden framed to start with, and they were
                  equipped with link and pin couplers with a nice spring sitting in clear
                  view behind the headstock. I am contemplating trying to use springs myself,
                  rather than chains, for the centering, so the main thing I am interested in
                  relates to the hacking around of the kadee.

                  John

                • John Dennis
                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 17, 2013
                    Hi Bruce,

                    If your question about gauge is directed to me, then my gauge will 16.5mm.
                    However the scale is 1/35.

                    John

                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 17, 2013
                      John,

                      I don't seem to have an article in my NL file so maybe not. There doesn't
                      seem to be anything in photo albums here either. I THINK I thought of it,
                      but maybe someone else came up with the idea, I've seen it and
                      subconsciously reinvented it.

                      The photos when I do them will be fairly self explanatory.

                      Frank
                    • John Dennis
                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 17, 2013
                        Frank,

                        Well, if that's the case I have no idea where I saw the idea (maybe online
                        somewhere?) but I would appreciate your photos very much.

                        John

                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 17, 2013
                          Have you explored Narrow Gauge & Industrial Railway Modelling Review?

                          I have an idea Roy Link tried fitting Kadees to some of his little skips.

                          I'm afraid I can't quote chapter and verse as a large number of my Reviews are away being bound.

                          Adrian

                          --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, John Dennis <jdennis412@...> wrote:

                          > Frank,
                          >
                          > Well, if that's the case I have no idea where I saw the idea (maybe online
                          > somewhere?) but I would appreciate your photos very much.
                          >
                          > John
                          >

                          > On 17 April 2013 20:04, Frank Sharp <frank.j.sharp@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > **
                          > >

                          > > John,
                          > >
                          > > I don't seem to have an article in my NL file so maybe not. There doesn't
                          > > seem to be anything in photo albums here either. I THINK I thought of it,
                          > > but maybe someone else came up with the idea, I've seen it and
                          > > subconsciously reinvented it.
                          > >
                          > > The photos when I do them will be fairly self explanatory.
                          > >
                          > > Frank

                        • stuart
                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 17, 2013
                            maybe it was in NG&I mag ?

                            stuart

                            Message 13 of 22 , Apr 17, 2013
                              Yes, Roy Link did have such an article, back in issue 13. But that was
                              installing N scale couplers (then Kadee, now Micro-Trains) into Rugga skip
                              chassis. That approach is not suitable for me - the N scale couplers don't
                              work very well with the HO sized I use on other items of rolling stock.

                              Frank's approach uses HO couplings.

                              John
                              On Apr 18, 2013 4:02 AM, "adriangrayfr" <adrian@...>
                              wrote:

                              > **
                              >

                              > Have you explored Narrow Gauge & Industrial Railway Modelling Review?
                              >
                              > I have an idea Roy Link tried fitting Kadees to some of his little skips.
                              >
                              > I'm afraid I can't quote chapter and verse as a large number of my Reviews
                              > are away being bound.
                              >
                              > Adrian
                              >
                              > --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, John Dennis <jdennis412@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Frank,
                              > >
                              > > Well, if that's the case I have no idea where I saw the idea (maybe
                              > online
                              > > somewhere?) but I would appreciate your photos very much.
                              > >
                              > > John
                              > >

                              > > On 17 April 2013 20:04, Frank Sharp <frank.j.sharp@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > > **
                              > > >

                              > > > John,
                              > > >
                              > > > I don't seem to have an article in my NL file so maybe not. There
                              > doesn't
                              > > > seem to be anything in photo albums here either. I THINK I thought of
                              > it,
                              > > > but maybe someone else came up with the idea, I've seen it and
                              > > > subconsciously reinvented it.
                              > > >
                              > > > The photos when I do them will be fairly self explanatory.
                              > > >
                              > > > Frank

                            • tom bell
                              Message 14 of 22 , Apr 17, 2013
                                You might like to know I do a 1:32 skip that takes Kadee 5 boxes - it would
                                also work as a larger On30 skip http://shpws.me/lWat

                                Tom

                              • John Dennis
                                Message 15 of 22 , Apr 17, 2013
                                  Thanka Tom,

                                  I was aware of your 1/32 skips - but the prototype I am modelling were
                                  nothing like those at all. They had wooden underframes to start with,
                                  amongst a lot of other things which make modelling interesting (as in
                                  difficult), like a pair of coil springs on each axlebox.

                                  I have uploaded our drawing of the prototype here, for information:

                                  http://s164.photobucket.com/user/duttonbay/media/Stannary%20Hills%20Mining%20and%20Tramway%20Co%20Ltd/SHorehopper_zpseb759e20.png.html

                                  tinyurl in case that one gets yahooed: *http://tinyurl.com/c4frqm5

                                  *
                                  *John
                                  *

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Apr 18, 2013
                                    John, Tom and all in this thread.

                                    First, there are now some pictures which to save starting another album are
                                    in Canals. They should show up on new photos anyway. I think they are fairly
                                    self explanatory, as I said in an earlier post, either mounted on the frame
                                    and with underslung shanks where needed or through the frames on the
                                    Wrightlines. You'll see on the underside of the U tipper where I've joined
                                    two bits of chain with thread, tweezers or no tweezers I just couldn't do it
                                    any other way.

                                    The link between to coupler and chain on the Wrightlines is a Smiths 4mm
                                    coupling link, but the rest are brass model ship builders rings at a
                                    fraction of the price,

                                    I was wary about the strength of the coupler pocket on the Wrightlines, K S
                                    rectangular box section brass solder in with Carrs 100. I note Tom uses the
                                    same design on printed resin. I've seen an article in Model Rail about
                                    painting printed resin and the pressure of the brush was enough to damage
                                    the model. Will printed resin so fine work reliably Tom?

                                    Hope it helps, sorry about all the spilt concrete in the way!

                                    Frank

                                    P.S. I'm still wondering whether I thought of it or nicked the idea. I used
                                    the same method on a Roy Link Lister years ago. I have a full set of NG&IRMR
                                    now but wouldn't have had then.
                                  • tom bell
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Apr 18, 2013
                                      Its not resin these are printed in,m but slithered nylon - it's very strong.

                                      Tom

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Apr 18, 2013
                                        Tom,

                                        Slithered or sintered? The latter I can find on the net and as I was in a
                                        different branch of the plastics industry I follow the principle. I just
                                        slide about on the former.

                                        What's it like for taking and holding paint?

                                        Frank
                                      • tom bell
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Apr 18, 2013
                                          Yes, sintered, sorry my dyslexia kicking in.

                                          Takes paint very well - has a slightly porous surface. I use artists
                                          acrylics on it, I also dye it first a rust brown colour, so that if the
                                          paint gets damaged in future you don't see the white plastic showing
                                          through. Being nylon you can use ordinary fabric on it, I use Rit.

                                          Tom

                                          On 18 April 2013 22:20, Frank Sharp <frank.j.sharp@...> wrote:

                                          > sintered

                                        • Phil Traxson
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Apr 18, 2013

                                            Have a word with Paul (EDM) he's got some samples of Tom's work. We've just
                                            seen them at a 7mmNGA group meeting in Derby, quite impressed.

                                            Phil T.
                                            Port Wynnstay Models
                                            Slithered or sintered? The latter I can find on the net and as I was in a
                                            different branch of the plastics industry I follow the principle. I just
                                            slide about on the former.

                                            What's it like for taking and holding paint?

                                            Frank

                                            No virus found in this message.

                                            -----

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Apr 18, 2013
                                              hi
                                              i have some of toms products, maine 2ft trucks in on30 freight and
                                              passenger, also some talyllyn wagon turntables in 7mm.
                                              very nice

                                              stuart

                                              > Have a word with Paul (EDM) he's got some samples of Tom's work. We've
                                              > just
                                              > seen them at a 7mmNGA group meeting in Derby, quite impressed.
                                              >
                                              > Phil T.
                                              > Port Wynnstay Models
                                            • John Dennis
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Apr 18, 2013
                                                Thanks Frank,

                                                Much appreciated. You don't know where you got the idea from? I am
                                                wondering where I saw this before? I obviously had seen it otherwise I
                                                wouldn't have asked the question.

                                                John