Re: 'Peter' by Stephen Lewin

  • Noel
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 10, 2013
      Leigh

      Brian Madge was building a model of Peter -
      see http://www.madge00n3.co.uk/peter.htm

      He presumably had pictures to work from. There's a link to contact him at the bottom of that page.

      Noel
      4235

      --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "bobafett_42" <BobaFett_42@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone know where I can find pictures of Stephen Lewin's Peter as ran onthe Torrington and Marland?
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Leigh
      > 4414

    • Roy Wood
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 10, 2013
        Do you have the 'Lewin' book. There are two photos of Peter there on page 61. I can scan them for you if you don't have the book but they are not the best quality. They are L&GRP photos, nos 23891 and 23892. I guess the originals might be better.
        Kind regards
        Roy Wood

        ________________________________
        Brian Madge was building a model of Peter -
        see http://www.madge00n3.co.uk/peter.htm

        He presumably had pictures to work from. There's a link to contact him at the bottom of that page.

        Noel
        4235

        --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "bobafett_42" <BobaFett_42@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know where I can find pictures of Stephen Lewin's Peter as ran onthe Torrington and Marland?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Leigh
        > 4414

      • nicholas420203
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 10, 2013
          Scale drawing and good photos in NORTH DEVON CLAY (Messenger/Twelveheads Press/1982) ... available from good secondhand book dealers (inc me!)

          --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "bobafett_42" <BobaFett_42@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone know where I can find pictures of Stephen Lewin's Peter as ran onthe Torrington and Marland?
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Leigh
          > 4414

        • Chris
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 11, 2013
            Hi everyone

            I have completely lost the current contact details for the above.

            Can someone help please?

            Chris
          • Wooi Michael
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 11, 2013
              Hi Chris

              Kevin Trim

              Wollongbar
              92 Wimborne Road West
              Wimborne
              Dorset
              BH21 2DS
              United Kingdom

              Tel 01202 881255

              Have one of his kits, still incomplete. Very nice etches

              Mike

              Sent from my iPhone

              On 11 Apr 2013, at 22:16, Chris <chris@...> wrote:

              > Hi everyone
              >
              > I have completely lost the current contact details for the above.
              >
              > Can someone help please?
              >
              > Chris

            • Wooi Michael
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 11, 2013
                Kevin Trim

                E-mail : kevintrim@...

                Sent from my iPhone

                On 11 Apr 2013, at 22:16, Chris <chris@...> wrote:

                > Hi everyone
                >
                > I have completely lost the current contact details for the above.
                >
                > Can someone help please?
                >
                > Chris

              • Chris
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 11, 2013
                  Thanks Mike

                  Chris
                  On 11/04/2013 22:23, Wooi Michael wrote:

                  > Hi Chris
                  >
                  > Kevin Trim
                  >
                  > Wollongbar
                  > 92 Wimborne Road West
                  > Wimborne
                  > Dorset
                  > BH21 2DS
                  > United Kingdom
                  >
                  > Tel 01202 881255
                  >
                  > Have one of his kits, still incomplete. Very nice etches
                  >
                  > Mike
                  >
                  > Sent from my iPhone
                  >
                  > On 11 Apr 2013, at 22:16, Chris <chris@...
                  > <mailto:chris%40crislis.co.uk>> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Hi everyone
                  > >
                  > > I have completely lost the current contact details for the above.
                  > >
                  > > Can someone help please?
                  > >
                  > > Chris

                • Chris
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 11, 2013
                    At last we are now able to start giving members access to Narrow Lines
                    back issues on line.

                    Thus far, issues 1 to 80 have been scanned and uploaded.

                    If you are a member, simply log on and follow the main menu link to the
                    archives.

                    If you aren't - well, there is yet another benefit which you are missing
                    out on!

                    Chris
                  • Arthur Budd
                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 11, 2013
                      Kevin moved from that address back in 2009. He's now at;
                      Dorset Kits, 8 Southwood Close, Ferndown, Dorset, BH22 9HW. Phone 01202 875570

                      Arthur

                      On 11 Apr 2013, at 22:23, Wooi Michael wrote:

                      > Hi Chris
                      >
                      > Kevin Trim
                      >
                      > Wollongbar
                      > 92 Wimborne Road West
                      > Wimborne
                      > Dorset
                      > BH21 2DS
                      > United Kingdom
                      >
                      > Tel 01202 881255
                      >
                      > Have one of his kits, still incomplete. Very nice etches
                      >
                      > Mike
                      >
                      > Sent from my iPhone
                      >
                      > On 11 Apr 2013, at 22:16, Chris <chris@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> Hi everyone
                      >>
                      >> I have completely lost the current contact details for the above.
                      >>
                      >> Can someone help please?
                      >>
                      >> Chris

                    • William Uffelman
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 11, 2013
                        And an electronic only membership for someone in North America costs?????

                        Bill Uffelman

                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 11, 2013
                          Hi Bill

                          I am not sure I see the relevance of the question. Whether one is in the
                          UK or abroad this remains a new benefit for members only included in
                          their subscription. And it is an archive - it does not bring current or
                          recent issues to everyone digitally.

                          Chris

                          On 11/04/2013 22:44, William Uffelman wrote:

                          > And an electronic only membership for someone in North America costs?????
                          >
                          > Bill Uffelman
                          > --- On Thu, 4/11/13, Chris <chris@...
                          > <mailto:chris%40crislis.co.uk>> wrote:
                          >
                          > From: Chris <chris@... <mailto:chris%40crislis.co.uk>>
                          > Subject: [7mm NGA] Narrow Lines
                          > To: 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com <mailto:7mmnga%40yahoogroups.com>
                          > Date: Thursday, April 11, 2013, 2:38 PM
                          >

                          > At last we are now able to start giving members access to Narrow Lines
                          > back issues on line.
                          >
                          > Thus far, issues 1 to 80 have been scanned and uploaded.
                          >
                          > If you are a member, simply log on and follow the main menu link to the
                          > archives.
                          >
                          > If you aren't - well, there is yet another benefit which you are missing
                          > out on!
                          >
                          > Chris

                        • William Uffelman
                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 11, 2013
                            The last time I looked membership was for a paper product with mailing charges based on global location so I was inquiring whether there was an electronic membership that was not discriminate  based on location.

                            Bill Uffelman

                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 11, 2013
                              Bill,

                              The correct way to get an answer to this question is to address it to the Membership Secretary, who has all the details at his fingertips.
                              members (at) 7mmnga (dot) org (dot) uk should be your target.

                              Adrian - Committee Member

                              --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, William Uffelman <ufffam@...> wrote:

                              > The last time I looked membership was for a paper product with mailing charges based on global location so I was inquiring whether there was an electronic membership that was not discriminate  based on location.
                              >
                              > Bill Uffelman

                            • William Uffelman
                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 11, 2013
                                Thank you.

                                The correct way to get an answer to this question is to address it to the Membership Secretary, who has all the details at his fingertips.
                                members (at) 7mmnga (dot) org (dot) uk should be your target.

                                Adrian - Committee Member

                                --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, William Uffelman <ufffam@...> wrote:

                                > The last time I looked membership was for a paper product with mailing charges based on global location so I was inquiring whether there was an electronic membership that was not discriminate  based on location.
                                >
                                > Bill Uffelman

                              • bobafett_42
                                Message 15 of 24 , Apr 14, 2013
                                  Thanks for all the suggestions

                                  Leigh
                                  4414
                                • Paul Holmes
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Apr 15, 2013
                                    Hi
                                    When you loose this email, he is listed on ukmodelshops at

                                    http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/suppliers/40430-Dorset_Kits#.UWu13Il5mc0

                                    Having recently bought examples of all his Leek and Manifold range, I can recommend him wholeheartedly. He has no web site, no PayPal, no credit card facility but is happy to discuss on the phone and then pay by good old cheque in the post.
                                    The kits are very complete. I was surprised to find the carriages came with all wheels couplings glazing and even seats. All that was missing was the William Morris wallpaper for the first class compartments and lamp shades. However, The lamp shades are now available from Zamzoodled via shapeways 3D printers. I am working on the correct wallpaper with the archivist of Sandersons....
                                    Paul
                                    --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, Arthur Budd <ajbudd@...> wrote:

                                    > Kevin moved from that address back in 2009. He's now at;
                                    > Dorset Kits, 8 Southwood Close, Ferndown, Dorset, BH22 9HW. Phone 01202 875570
                                    >
                                    > Arthur
                                    >

                                    > On 11 Apr 2013, at 22:23, Wooi Michael wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Hi Chris
                                    > >
                                    > > Kevin Trim
                                    > >
                                    > > Wollongbar
                                    > > 92 Wimborne Road West
                                    > > Wimborne
                                    > > Dorset
                                    > > BH21 2DS
                                    > > United Kingdom
                                    > >
                                    > > Tel 01202 881255
                                    > >
                                    > > Have one of his kits, still incomplete. Very nice etches
                                    > >
                                    > > Mike
                                    > >
                                    > > Sent from my iPhone
                                    > >
                                    > > On 11 Apr 2013, at 22:16, Chris <chris@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > >> Hi everyone
                                    > >>
                                    > >> I have completely lost the current contact details for the above.
                                    > >>
                                    > >> Can someone help please?
                                    > >>
                                    > >> Chris

                                  • James C
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Apr 16, 2013
                                      Dear Paul,
                                      Does Kevin do catalogues? If so how canI get one?
                                      best wishes,
                                      James Corsi

                                      --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Holmes" <heatonwood@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi
                                      > When you loose this email, he is listed on ukmodelshops at
                                      >
                                      > http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/suppliers/40430-Dorset_Kits#.UWu13Il5mc0
                                      >
                                      > Having recently bought examples of all his Leek and Manifold range, I can recommend him wholeheartedly. He has no web site, no PayPal, no credit card facility but is happy to discuss on the phone and then pay by good old cheque in the post.
                                      > The kits are very complete. I was surprised to find the carriages came with all wheels couplings glazing and even seats. All that was missing was the William Morris wallpaper for the first class compartments and lamp shades. However, The lamp shades are now available from Zamzoodled via shapeways 3D printers. I am working on the correct wallpaper with the archivist of Sandersons....
                                      > Paul
                                      > --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, Arthur Budd <ajbudd@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Kevin moved from that address back in 2009. He's now at;
                                      > > Dorset Kits, 8 Southwood Close, Ferndown, Dorset, BH22 9HW. Phone 01202 875570
                                      > >
                                      > > Arthur
                                      > >

                                      > > On 11 Apr 2013, at 22:23, Wooi Michael wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > > Hi Chris
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Kevin Trim
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Wollongbar
                                      > > > 92 Wimborne Road West
                                      > > > Wimborne
                                      > > > Dorset
                                      > > > BH21 2DS
                                      > > > United Kingdom
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Tel 01202 881255
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Have one of his kits, still incomplete. Very nice etches
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Mike
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Sent from my iPhone

                                    • Paul Holmes
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Apr 16, 2013
                                        Hi James

                                        There is a duplicated sheet type catalogue - no photos though!! I am at work now and will try and remember to dig it out this evening and cross check what I have forgotten! but from memory :-

                                        Leek and Manifold -
                                        All Third Brake composite carriages
                                        Bogie goods van
                                        Short transporter waggon - both 1904 and 1907 style
                                        Open bogie waggon

                                        I am not sure about long transporter but otherwise ALL the stock that the L+M possessed. Kits are all etched brass bodies, whitemetal cast bogies and fittings, all glazing material, cast-in-stone type resin seats with whitemetal armrests, all wheels. Couplings are scale choppers but in whitemetal so I am replacing with John's zamzoodled ones. The transporter waggons are scale width which means that a standard O gauge waggon will not fit - either the back to back on the standard gauge needs to be opened up or better still fit regular scaleseven wheelsets from Slaters.

                                        I have now built all these and they go together well. The carriages are time consuming to build but good level of detail - if I can get them finished you can see them at Burton. More kits here to hone your new found soldering skills! From memory, Carriages are about £125 each or two for £220 waggons £35-45ish.

                                        Welshpool and Llanfair -

                                        Original Beyer Peacock locos The Earl and The Countess
                                        original third and brake carriage (as wonderfully represented by the Boston Lodge replicas in GW brown and cream)
                                        I will await comment from Adrian Gray on these as he has built at least the carriage (as he did it so beautifully and wrote it up in an MRJ many moons ago) - not sure how he is doing with the loco??

                                        There are also a couple of other items, I think from memory Snailbeach trucks??

                                        It is a shame that Kevin only deals via specialist shows or on a one to one order system. I think he could sell rather more if he was more accessable but it does make the models a little more exclusive!

                                        Paul
                                      • Paul Holmes
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Apr 16, 2013
                                          I have now added three photos showing the transporter with Dapol PO waggon, the bogie open and the Slater's loco - all in bare metal finish. Listed under 'Hulme End' in the photo section or link below

                                          Paul
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Apr 16, 2013
                                            James,

                                            Either write to Kevin with an SAE - address details given elsewhere in this thread - or ring him up and ask about the kits. Kevin is very keen and will talk about them very happily.
                                            Kevin is a professional kit designer - which is to say that he dos the job for other manufacturers, mainly for SG prototypes.

                                            The Welshpool carriage that Paul was so kind about was Kevin's first on his own account and his experience showed very clearly - it was very well designed and, granted that I've done a lot of etched kits in my time, I though it a doddle to put together.
                                            The Welshpool wagons, standard whitemetal kits, are also very well made and go together nicely.

                                            By the time Kevin got to doing the Welshpool locos he was well into his stride and the kits are both comprehensive, well-designed and pretty challenging. I confess I got about halfway through and had to break off from modelling for both health and family reasons and it hasn't been the first model I've picked up to try and get back into the swing of things!

                                            Both Welshpool and Leek & Manifold railways had pretty generous loading gauges, so be careful to make sure the models will fit on your proposed layout - the L&M carriages are enormous!!

                                            Adrian

                                            --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "James C" <jamesmcorsi@...> wrote:

                                            > Dear Paul,
                                            > Does Kevin do catalogues? If so how canI get one?
                                            > best wishes,
                                            > James Corsi
                                            >
                                            > --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Holmes" <heatonwood@> wrote:
                                            > >

                                            > > Hi
                                            > > When you loose this email, he is listed on ukmodelshops at
                                            > >
                                            > > http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/suppliers/40430-Dorset_Kits#.UWu13Il5mc0
                                            > >
                                            > > Having recently bought examples of all his Leek and Manifold range, I can recommend him wholeheartedly. He has no web site, no PayPal, no credit card facility but is happy to discuss on the phone and then pay by good old cheque in the post.
                                            > > The kits are very complete. I was surprised to find the carriages came with all wheels couplings glazing and even seats. All that was missing was the William Morris wallpaper for the first class compartments and lamp shades. However, The lamp shades are now available from Zamzoodled via shapeways 3D printers. I am working on the correct wallpaper with the archivist of Sandersons....
                                            > > Paul
                                            > > --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, Arthur Budd <ajbudd@> wrote:
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Kevin moved from that address back in 2009. He's now at;
                                            > > > Dorset Kits, 8 Southwood Close, Ferndown, Dorset, BH22 9HW. Phone 01202 875570
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Arthur

                                          • David Woodcock
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Apr 17, 2013
                                              Paul's transporter wagons look every bit as good as Paul's previous work BUT how did THAT P.O. wagon get to be on a L&MVLR transporter wagon?

                                              David Woodcock
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Apr 17, 2013
                                                Paul put it there, of course!!!!

                                                :-)

                                                Adrian - who knows what you David is driving at!

                                                --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, David Woodcock <dandewoodcock@...> wrote:

                                                > Paul's transporter wagons look every bit as good as Paul's previous work BUT how did THAT P.O. wagon get to be on a L&MVLR transporter wagon?
                                                >
                                                > David Woodcock

                                              • Paul Holmes
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Apr 18, 2013
                                                  Hi David and Adrian
                                                  Absolutely.. Messrs Allen and Co had an arrangement with Catterley and Whitfield coal merchants of Tunstall, to supply house coal to Hulme End in 1906 whilst Mr Catterley was in hospital with a hernia.
                                                  In reality, mostly as Dapol had it RTR and it looked pretty....
                                                  Paul