Re: Design a diesel question.

    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1, 2013
      Evening Simon,

      What Howard Clarke has written is true - the vehicle you describe would be a railcar and entered in the passenger stock section of the competitions.
      However, entries from that section can be entered in other, theme, classes as appopriate, SO, your self-designed diesel railcar will certainly qualify for entry in the Howard Clarke 'Design a Diesel' class for 2013.
      Bring it along, we look forward to seeing you in Burton.

      Regards,

      Adrian Gray - Competition Steward

      --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, S Davies <simon.davies@...> wrote:

      > Hello all,
      >
      > First post on this list so by way of introduction: name is Simon and I
      > do O9 and O16.5 (with a bit of G now and then), have been a member of
      > 7mmnga for two or three years now after finding OO9 too fiddly for my
      > limited skills.
      >
      > I notice that the Howard Clarke Trophy for this year is "Design a
      > Diesel", so thought that I might have a go at entering model, for the
      > first time, in the AGM competitions this year. Problem is that I'm not
      > sure if the diesel that I'm currently working on would be allowable
      > within the rules as it is sort of a diesel railcar - a bit like the
      > Ixion Coffee Pot but with a diesel rather than steam engine and only the
      > rear part of the 'coach' is enclosed (yep, it's a bit of a lash up to
      > use up all of my spare bits and pieces). Would the fact that it is, in
      > part, a passenger carrying vehicle exclude it? And if so, would it be OK
      > if I left the seats out, filled it with bits of old rail and tools, and
      > called it a maintenance truck?
      >
      > Many thanks for any help that anyone can offer (and apologies if this
      > appears twice....not getting on with yahoogroups at the moment).
      >
      > rgds
      > Simon

    • S Davies
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 2, 2013
        Many thanks Howard and Adrian. Shall certainly bring it along and pop
        it into whatever class will have it. Although 'it' is now a 'them' as
        I've started one in O9 too - found an old minitrains baldwin with a
        burnout motor that will work nicely with half a kato at the rear.
        rgds
        Si
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 2, 2013
          Simon,

          Competition rules state 'One entry per class, per member" so you will not be able to enter both models in the same year - well not unless they are coupled back to back!

          I'm afraid I enforce this rule strictly as there are one or two who would otherwise flood the classes with models.

          Adrian - Competitions Steward

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 2, 2013
            Adrian,

            Would it not be possible to enter one in 'Design a Diesel' and the other in
            the coach and railcar section as Simon is saying there will be some
            passenger accommodation?

            As regards coupling back to back, as they are both different gauges, if you
            can put them on the track, I'll photograph them!

            Frank with large spoon.

            _

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 2, 2013
              Frank,

              Grasping spoon, however sticky.......NO!

              Five main classes - Locos x 2; passenger; freight; buildings.

              Entries for HESC, FR, L&B and Monckton Wylde arise from and are subsidiary to, those main classes.

              Y'gotta be in the first to be in t'other...........

              Sorry, them's the rules.........

              Adrian

              --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Sharp" <frank.j.sharp@...> wrote:

              > Adrian,
              >

              > Would it not be possible to enter one in 'Design a Diesel' and the other in
              > the coach and railcar section as Simon is saying there will be some
              > passenger accommodation?
              >

              > As regards coupling back to back, as they are both different gauges, if you
              > can put them on the track, I'll photograph them!
              >

              > Frank with large spoon.
              >

              > _

            • Mike Brown
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 3, 2013
                On 2 Apr 2013, at 23:13, adriangrayfr <adrian@...> wrote:

                > I'm afraid I enforce this rule strictly as there are one or two who would otherwise flood the classes with models.
                >
                > Adrian - Competitions Steward

                Hmmm, If you didn't we'd be up to our knees in HC's little yellow diesels! lol! (ducks back behind parapet...)

                Mike
                008
              • Howard Clarke

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 3, 2013
                    Wrong Mike
                    My diesel is silver
                    Howard 215

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 3, 2013
                      But I remember a time when you were a very prolific builder of the the little yellow devils! lol!

                      Mike
                      008

                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 3, 2013
                        And very long, and if you look in Gallery, 2012 exhibition on our web site
                        it can be even longer. One photo Peter didn't use!

                        Frank

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 3, 2013
                          Hi Simon
                          Will look forward to meeting you at Burton.
                          Suggestion - Bring plenty of money as the traders there are not often found elsewhere
                          And it is a good day to make new friends and renew old acquaintances
                          Happy modelling
                          Howard 215
                          On the Staffordshire Moorlands still with snow