Re: Lynton and Barnstaple Railway

  • Geoff Loynes
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 31, 2013
      Although, as has been said, 'Measured and Drawn' is by far the best reference work for L&B modellers, there is much material elsewhere, including, over the years a large number of photos published in the L&BR Magazine, many back issues of which are still obtainable from the Woody Bay shop, along with a CD index. It also helps a lot to visit the area. Many L&B layouts have been made, but one I'm still waiting to see built is a depiction of Killington Lane bridge in the early 1930s, with the L&BR going UNDER the bridge, whilst OVER the bridge, at the side of the highway, was a temporary railway which supplied stone from Beacon Down Quarry for construction of the Parracombe Bypass. This was worked by at least one Kerr Stuart 'Wren' class 0-4-0ST. Sadly, so far, no photos of any of the construction trains going over the bridge with an L&B train underneath have turned up!