Re: [7mm NGA] Re: Lynton and Barnstaple Railway

  • TonyW
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
      OK Paul, I look forward to meeting you all. I’ve written the date down on the calendar! A friend of mine hand built all of his trackwork, albeit in 45mm gauge, but once he had built jigs for the points, he managed, so that would be the way to go I suppose. It’s all a long way from my original idea to recycle some Underground Ernie track! <VBG>

      Regards,

      Tony.

      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 30, 2013
        I see that Lynton & Barnstaple Measured and Drawn has already been recommended! If you are going to model the line this is the 'must have' book. However, you'll eventually obtain all the others too, whether you think you need them or not!

        Beware, the L&B is infectious. I had never really had any interest in the railway particularly as there were plenty of extant narrow gauge railways in the UK. However, I thought I'd better have just one L&B book (the Middleton Press one) in my NG library. That's were it started - just over a year ago - and now I have more books on the L&B than any other NG line and find it a fascinating railway, although I never knew it 'then' and have visited the 'now' just once.

        Ken Crawley
      • John Leach
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 30, 2013
          Thanks Patrick

          John

          I see that Lynton & Barnstaple Measured and Drawn has already been recommended! If you are going to model the line this is the 'must have' book. However, you'll eventually obtain all the others too, whether you think you need them or not!

          Beware, the L&B is infectious. I had never really had any interest in the railway particularly as there were plenty of extant narrow gauge railways in the UK. However, I thought I'd better have just one L&B book (the Middleton Press one) in my NG library. That's were it started - just over a year ago - and now I have more books on the L&B than any other NG line and find it a fascinating railway, although I never knew it 'then' and have visited the 'now' just once.

          Ken Crawley

        • Geoff Loynes
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 31, 2013
            Although, as has been said, 'Measured and Drawn' is by far the best reference work for L&B modellers, there is much material elsewhere, including, over the years a large number of photos published in the L&BR Magazine, many back issues of which are still obtainable from the Woody Bay shop, along with a CD index. It also helps a lot to visit the area. Many L&B layouts have been made, but one I'm still waiting to see built is a depiction of Killington Lane bridge in the early 1930s, with the L&BR going UNDER the bridge, whilst OVER the bridge, at the side of the highway, was a temporary railway which supplied stone from Beacon Down Quarry for construction of the Parracombe Bypass. This was worked by at least one Kerr Stuart 'Wren' class 0-4-0ST. Sadly, so far, no photos of any of the construction trains going over the bridge with an L&B train underneath have turned up!