RE: [7mm NGA] Re: Lynton and Barnstaple Railway

  • David Hughes
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
      Tony,Paul, John Clutterbuck and I will be manning a finescale demo table at the Convention in Burton. Do come along for a chat before you commit!Best wishes,David H#1603, Wiltshire UK
      To: 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com
      From: tony.wells@...
      Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 14:04:39 +0000
      Subject: Re: [7mm NGA] Re: Lynton and Barnstaple Railway

      Hello David,

      Unfortunately I've arrived at the L&B after starting to buy track and locos,

      and whilst I could cut 2.5mm out of the middle of the sleepers to reduce the

      track to 14mm gauge, I am not so sure that I can do the same with my locos,

      some of which are Bachmann I hope to be able to re-body - I know that I can

      re-body one into a Hunslet "Russell" for example. Having said that, a friend

      of mine in the Yorkshire branch of the Association has built in 0-14, so I

      can always ask him first, before I start laying track. More on this anon

      therefore!

      Regards,

      Tony.

      From: tony.wells@...

      Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 13:06:52 +0000

    • TonyW
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
        OK David, I hope to see you there!

        Regards,

        Tony.

        To: 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com

        From: tony.wells@...

        Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 13:06:52 +0000

      • tony
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
          Make sure you ask John Clutterbuck to show you his 14mm L&BR track sample of pre and post SR period. Fascinating stuff if 14mm is the chosen route.

          Tony S.

          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
            This sounds interesting Tony, but would I have to hand build all my own sets of 14mm gauge points please? Also, what code rail would I use, still Code 100 as Peco use?

            --- In mailto:7mmnga%40yahoogroups.com, "TonyW" <tony.wells@...> wrote:

            > OK David, I hope to see you there!
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Tony.

          • Paul Holmes
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
              Tony,
              Even if you choose to continue on 16.5mm gauge, done well, hand built track looks so much better than Peco.
              see you at Burton, but I shan't be demonstrating 14mm gauge this time, but 17.5mm. I shall be bringing a couple of 14mm FR locos to run in John's track.
              Paul

              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
                Hi Tony
                It is interesting, and yes you would have to build points etc - but it's NOT THAT HARD!! Seriously it's all 'jolly good fun' building trackwork and quite easy.
                Wait till Burton and we will show you how. You could use Peco or look at Kalgarin - John will be able to enlighten further. I am using Peco for my next project but code 80 flat bottom, it all depends on what your prototype used.
                Paul

                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
                  OK Paul, I look forward to meeting you all. I’ve written the date down on the calendar! A friend of mine hand built all of his trackwork, albeit in 45mm gauge, but once he had built jigs for the points, he managed, so that would be the way to go I suppose. It’s all a long way from my original idea to recycle some Underground Ernie track! <VBG>

                  Regards,

                  Tony.

                  It is interesting, and yes you would have to build points etc - but it's NOT THAT HARD!! Seriously it's all 'jolly good fun' building trackwork and quite easy.
                  Wait till Burton and we will show you how. You could use Peco or look at Kalgarin - John will be able to enlighten further. I am using Peco for my next project but code 80 flat bottom, it all depends on what your prototype used.
                  Paul

                  SNIP

                • ken.crawley
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 30, 2013
                    I see that Lynton & Barnstaple Measured and Drawn has already been recommended! If you are going to model the line this is the 'must have' book. However, you'll eventually obtain all the others too, whether you think you need them or not!

                    Beware, the L&B is infectious. I had never really had any interest in the railway particularly as there were plenty of extant narrow gauge railways in the UK. However, I thought I'd better have just one L&B book (the Middleton Press one) in my NG library. That's were it started - just over a year ago - and now I have more books on the L&B than any other NG line and find it a fascinating railway, although I never knew it 'then' and have visited the 'now' just once.

                    Ken Crawley
                  • John Leach
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 30, 2013
                      Thanks Patrick

                      John

                      I see that Lynton & Barnstaple Measured and Drawn has already been recommended! If you are going to model the line this is the 'must have' book. However, you'll eventually obtain all the others too, whether you think you need them or not!

                      Beware, the L&B is infectious. I had never really had any interest in the railway particularly as there were plenty of extant narrow gauge railways in the UK. However, I thought I'd better have just one L&B book (the Middleton Press one) in my NG library. That's were it started - just over a year ago - and now I have more books on the L&B than any other NG line and find it a fascinating railway, although I never knew it 'then' and have visited the 'now' just once.

                      Ken Crawley

                    • Geoff Loynes
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 31, 2013
                        Although, as has been said, 'Measured and Drawn' is by far the best reference work for L&B modellers, there is much material elsewhere, including, over the years a large number of photos published in the L&BR Magazine, many back issues of which are still obtainable from the Woody Bay shop, along with a CD index. It also helps a lot to visit the area. Many L&B layouts have been made, but one I'm still waiting to see built is a depiction of Killington Lane bridge in the early 1930s, with the L&BR going UNDER the bridge, whilst OVER the bridge, at the side of the highway, was a temporary railway which supplied stone from Beacon Down Quarry for construction of the Parracombe Bypass. This was worked by at least one Kerr Stuart 'Wren' class 0-4-0ST. Sadly, so far, no photos of any of the construction trains going over the bridge with an L&B train underneath have turned up!