Prices on Fee-bay for Wrightlines models

  • ianj0trains
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 23, 2013
      Hi Daniel & others,

      A custom built 9mm scale Decauville by Bernard Snoodyk is not really comparable with a cast whitemetal 0-16.5mm body kit mounted on a proprietary chassis, either in terms of initial price, or time of construction needed.(Ditto the RTR BM NGG16 Garratts, not exactly comparing apples with apples.) Had this been an original Roy Link brass version of this loco I would have understood why someone could pay that price.

      Graham is totally correct in saying it's worth whatever someone is prepared to pay on the day, and Franks example of the amount of work he is putting in on his modified Roy Link kit would justify the sort of value he is placing on them. (Wish I could work that fast and produce that sort of quality, your 8 days would be my 8 weeks...)

      I'm not sure what the Manning Wardle sold for, but an S&D Andrew Barclay on Ebay at the same time only brought 103 pound. Is the issue here the supposed difficulty people have in obtaining Wrightlines products now ? I've no idea if this kit is still offered, but assuming it is, I would have thought being present at a few exhibitions a year and offering mail order really should be sufficient options for people who really wanted one to be able to obtain it without paying what seems to be a seriously over the odds price.

      It obviously took two people to bid it to that price, so I guess, as Graham said, that's current value.

      Cheers

      Ian J

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 23, 2013
        Ian,

        Give you some idea, I started this morning at ten, a few meal breaks and a
        short walk with next door’s dog, a few e-mails, and I’ve just turned off the
        soldering iron, half past midnight and I just cannot see to put copper wire
        into brass unions any longer. Add eleven hours to what I’ve already done, at
        £10 an hour this is going to have a £1000 of time in it. That’s at a fairly
        low rate, a fraction of what I was getting for ‘real’ work.

        If, and of course I’m not, I was doing this as a full time job would anyone
        be prepared to pay for my time at the rate your plumber would charge?

      • ianj0trains
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 23, 2013
          Hi Frank,

          Am really looking forward to seeing some photos of those Hudswell Clarke well tanks, they're a lovely looking locomotive, pity it isn't offered as an O-16.5mm kit.

          I know I could try and convert one as you are, but there are so many projects already in the "one day" cupboard, I'm trying to resist adding such temptations.

          Cheers

          Ian J

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 24, 2013
            All who are interested,

            Busy Bee went for £265. Nice model, kit still available, but largely white
            metal as I have one in the pile.

            One starts to wonder about insurance valuation.

            G Class mainly grit blasted ready to paint but I’m now adding lead as being
            virtually all brass it is quite light. Paint shop for Wednesday still on. I
            have hopes for Narrow Gauge North on the 9th. As it was delivered to Delhi
            Public Works Department, anyone know where I get an Indian crew?

            Frank.