Re: [7mm NGA] Prices on Fee-bay for Wrightlines models

  • narolines
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 23, 2013
      The bottom line is that a model, like anything else, is "worth" what someone is prepared to pay for it. If you advertise a model (for the sake of argument) for sale and the highest bid you get is ten quid, then ten quid is what it was "worth" on that day; if the highest bid you get is £500, then on that day it was "worth" £500. Would I pay £400 for a kit-built loco? No, partly because I don't have £400 to spare, but mainly because I'd rather have the enjoyment of building the kit for myself, which is beyond price. But if someone IS prepared to pay that sort of figure, then that's their choice and, probably, a stroke of luck for the seller. I'm not sure there's any mileage in speculating what a model is "worth" - average going rate, possibly, but even then it's a bit of a pointless exercise.

      Graham

      --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Sharp" <frank.j.sharp@...> wrote:

      > Ian, Daniel, Stuart,
      >

      > At a close look, the Wrightlines kit with the simplified valve gear. But
      > think it through, kit about £100, could you build it, paint it and line it
      > in 30 hours? At that it is only £10 per hour, hardly craftsman rate.
      >

      > I'm on with a KB Scale (ex Roy Link) Hudswell Clarke G class well tank. True
      > I've modified the frames to suit the first two built to 2ft 6 ins gauge and
      > changed the motor and gearbox but I'm doing maybe 8 hours a day at it, have
      > been for eight days and I reckon it might hit the paint shop on Wednesday if
      > all goes well.
      >

      > On sheer time £400 won't touch it.
      >

      > There is a Branchlines Manning Wardle on e-bay, last seen at £77 with a day
      > to go. At least as good a build as the Bagnall, but the kit is still readily
      > available from Branchlines, interesting to see what that makes.
      >

      > Remember Backwoods sold all 50 made up NG16s at over £1000.
      >

      > Frank

    • daniel caso
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 23, 2013
        Bernard Snodijk -an astonishing Australian modeller- is selling his rtr 9mm scale Decauville type 1 (0-4-0) at 1.200 euro. And I asure you, if I had the money I would buy one or even two of them.

        Daniel

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 23, 2013
          Hi Daniel & others,

          A custom built 9mm scale Decauville by Bernard Snoodyk is not really comparable with a cast whitemetal 0-16.5mm body kit mounted on a proprietary chassis, either in terms of initial price, or time of construction needed.(Ditto the RTR BM NGG16 Garratts, not exactly comparing apples with apples.) Had this been an original Roy Link brass version of this loco I would have understood why someone could pay that price.

          Graham is totally correct in saying it's worth whatever someone is prepared to pay on the day, and Franks example of the amount of work he is putting in on his modified Roy Link kit would justify the sort of value he is placing on them. (Wish I could work that fast and produce that sort of quality, your 8 days would be my 8 weeks...)

          I'm not sure what the Manning Wardle sold for, but an S&D Andrew Barclay on Ebay at the same time only brought 103 pound. Is the issue here the supposed difficulty people have in obtaining Wrightlines products now ? I've no idea if this kit is still offered, but assuming it is, I would have thought being present at a few exhibitions a year and offering mail order really should be sufficient options for people who really wanted one to be able to obtain it without paying what seems to be a seriously over the odds price.

          It obviously took two people to bid it to that price, so I guess, as Graham said, that's current value.

          Cheers

          Ian J

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 23, 2013
            Ian,

            Give you some idea, I started this morning at ten, a few meal breaks and a
            short walk with next door’s dog, a few e-mails, and I’ve just turned off the
            soldering iron, half past midnight and I just cannot see to put copper wire
            into brass unions any longer. Add eleven hours to what I’ve already done, at
            £10 an hour this is going to have a £1000 of time in it. That’s at a fairly
            low rate, a fraction of what I was getting for ‘real’ work.

            If, and of course I’m not, I was doing this as a full time job would anyone
            be prepared to pay for my time at the rate your plumber would charge?

          • ianj0trains
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 23, 2013
              Hi Frank,

              Am really looking forward to seeing some photos of those Hudswell Clarke well tanks, they're a lovely looking locomotive, pity it isn't offered as an O-16.5mm kit.

              I know I could try and convert one as you are, but there are so many projects already in the "one day" cupboard, I'm trying to resist adding such temptations.

              Cheers

              Ian J

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 24, 2013
                All who are interested,

                Busy Bee went for £265. Nice model, kit still available, but largely white
                metal as I have one in the pile.

                One starts to wonder about insurance valuation.

                G Class mainly grit blasted ready to paint but I’m now adding lead as being
                virtually all brass it is quite light. Paint shop for Wednesday still on. I
                have hopes for Narrow Gauge North on the 9th. As it was delivered to Delhi
                Public Works Department, anyone know where I get an Indian crew?

                Frank.