Re: [7mm NGA] Re: Leek & Manifold Livery

  • Nigel Auckland
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 12, 2013
      No I had a serious senior persons moment by the look of it!!!!!

      Please remove it.

      Nigel

      On 12 Feb 2013, at 12:42, Paul Holmes wrote:

      > Hi Nigel
      >
      > Is this message for the group?? Looks like Julia was the intended recipient!!!?
      >
      > Paul
      >
      > --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, Nigel Auckland wrote:
      > >
      > > Julia
      > >
      > > I haven't seen it but I will have a check and see if there is one at Collingwood as I am off there in a minute.
      > >
      > > 88
      > >
      > > Nigel

    • Andrew Young
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 12, 2013
        On Feb 12, 2013, at 10:37 AM, "Paul Holmes" <heatonwood@...> wrote:

        > Robert Gratton's book states deep purplish red as the wagon livery in the early days - now is this the same as North Staffs Madder Lake or a deeper tone? If deeper, then I fancy the idea of Caledonian Purple, which adorns a model of Taliesin I have recently built and is a good match for the current FfR deep maroon of Tal, Merddin and Palmerston.

        Paul,

        They are different, Madder Lake was used for locomotives and passenger stock, the purplish red was a different shade, but there's little evidence to say what it actually was, I wonder whether your Caledonian Purple would be quite close. A friend of mine is a member of the North Staffs modelling group and from what I've seen of their newsletters, they have trouble agreeing what shade it should be! However, I will pass on your question and see what answer results.

        Going off on a tangent slightly, the colour currently worn by 'Sir Haydn' in Corris guise is Madder Lake, well it said so on the tin!

        Cheers,
        Andrew
        (In North Staffs Country)

      • David Woodcock
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 13, 2013
          Paul

          Gratton's book specifically says "NSR red" and if you look at the back of the dust cover you will see a reproduction of a transporter wagon painted in it, I imagine that Bob and Roy will have gone to some trouble to ensure that it was depicted as correctly as possible.

          It may well be worth contacting the NSR Study Group (google) for advice on the best proprietary paint to use, their secretary John Sherratt seemingly recently contributed an article to the Group's journal about some aspects of NSR livery, and their webmaster David Moore is an active modeller (and member of the MMRS) and is probably in a position to give pertinent advice.

          That said, remember that wagon painting had two main purposes, to protect the wood- and iron-work from the worst of the weather and to identify the owner and owner's number; they certainly weren't painted to look pretty and costs were minimised to the extent that interior woodwork wasn't painted at all. All wagon paint of that era was based on one of the available lead-based paints, in this case red lead oxide, sometimes (and probably in this case) with a small amount of "colour" pigment added to aid quick recognition. Even when wagons were freshly painted there were probably shade variations between each painting batch and, even on a very restricted railway like the L&MLR, weathering effects would have quickly varied between wagons.

          David
        • Paul Holmes
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 13, 2013
            Hi all
            Thanks all the for advice. I suppose with no knowledge of Knotty matters at all I initially did not know if the NSR purplish red was the same as NSR madder lake - it sounds as if it is not. The precision Caledonian purple madder is definitely a much deeper shade than MR or LMS red. The RCL book cover depicts the transporter as two tone - with a browner shade at the top with a maroon below, so I will take up the suggestions made so far
            Paul