Re: [7mm NGA] An Introduction From a New Member ...

  • allen.morgan
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 12, 2012
      Hi Tony
      Welcome. Coming here you can't get away from me!
      I concur with Frank that you join the association. The magazine is a little
      smaller than the 16mm one but then there are 6 each year and it covers a
      wide range if aspects in 7mm (and close) NG modelling. While there are some
      superb kits available, reflected in the price the is quite a freelance
      following with many locos being modified from 00 locos and/ ore using the
      chassis only. As for working radii, if you use 00 chassis then they will go
      round 00 curves. About 15'' for an 0-6-0 and even down to 10'' with an 0-4-0
      and very short stock.

      Regards
      Allen Morgan
      W.E.Lt.R.

      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 12, 2012
        Hello Allen !!! At this rate I will soon be asking if you take in boarders !!! <VBG> Mind, in view of all the cups of coffee etc. that I must owe you for all your help on the 16mm group, perhaps not .... <blush> Thanks for letting me know about these working radii however as I can now start thinking about what sort of layout I would like for use in the house, even an old Hornby Trakmat!

        Best regards,

        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 12, 2012
          Thanks for this too Frank. Some good news following on from my other reply is that I now have the car this coming Wednesday after all – I am dropping the wife off at one of her friends in Morley, on my way to Bradford, and then picking her up again on my way back. Hopefully, I will therefore see you at the church, if you would tell me which entrance to use please. In the meantime I will wait until the Membership Secretary is back in circulation before applying on line to join the Association. If it all goes pear shaped on Wednesday I will still see you at the Wakefield show, incidentally.

          Best regards,

          Tony.

          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 12, 2012
            I agree with the comment about the difficulty obtaining British 7mmNG RTR,
            however joining a group of the like-minded brings benefits in many ways.
            Recommended.

            However there may be one or two surprises coming up, so whilst I am writing
            this can I remind you all of the show within a show at the Warley Clubs
            exhibition on 24th & 25th at the NEC, In the Lynton & Barnstaple World,
            there will be 10 layouts from 4mm to 16mm and the large modelling showcase
            kindly sponsored by Accucraft will include many aspect of modelling the L&BR
            and even some 7mm items from my own collection.

            Hope to see you there.

            Tony S

          • peter page
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 12, 2012
              Welcome to the group, Tony.

              I'd also recommend that you join the Association if you decide to model ng in the 0 Gauge group of scales - I did when I moved into 7mm/ft scale narrow gauge nineteen years ago. Our 'Getting Started' Handbook will give you some basic background, the 'Small Layouts Handbook' will provide layout ideas, and the '0n30 Handbook' covers that part of our branch of the hobby, the part that is easiest to start with if you want ready to run and are prepared to model American. These handbooks are available to non-members through the book trade (e.g. Camden), but Association members can buy them direct.

              If you want to get a feel for the size of things without making too much capital commitment, Alphagraphix do a range of card kits of mainly Irish prototypes at prices that won't break the bank - and with a bit of the ingenuity that's essential if you're going to get on in this branch of the hobby, some of them can be made into 'working models' by adding running gear. Unfortunately he's mail order and selected shows only - and there's no website or telephone number in his adverts. On the other hand, whatever scale you work in, the smallest dimension that you can realistically achieve in a detail in your model will not vary - if you've ever worked in Z gauge as well as the larger scales you'll know that. Narrow gauge is not necessarily small - but it can be if you want it.

              Best wishes

              Peter

              ________________________________
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 12, 2012
                Tony,

                Only one way in, so no problem there. To aid identification, we are the
                group without babies!

              • TonyW
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 12, 2012
                  Hmmm ..... yes, that might be a bit of a give away Frank !!! <VBG> There’s just the one entrance though, so thanks.

                  Best regards,

                  Tony.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 12, 2012
                    Thanks for your reply too Peter, and the advice in it. Hopefully between me
                    going to the meeting at Bradford on Wednesday and the Wakefield show at the
                    end of the month, I should get some idea of what I want to do, then join the
                    Association if I decide to go with it, and buy the various handbooks. In
                    respect of which outline to model, I am still hoping to go with a British
                    one, and so there are the Peco and Branchline kits if all else fails. I will
                    write to Alphagraphix though, as I have also seen some of their building
                    kits listed on eBay.

                  • roger_brookes@rocketmail.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 12, 2012
                      Hi Tony
                      You might like to have a look at http://www.clevermodels.net although they are an American site they do some very nice card kits that you download and print on an ordinary printer

                      Regards Roger B

                      --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "TonyW" <tony.wells@...> wrote:

                      > Best regards,
                      >
                      > Tony.

                    • TonyW
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 12, 2012
                        My thanks to you too Roger! Clever Models has been duly bookmarked and some trial models downloaded to see how they work up.

                        Regards,

                        Tony.

                        > I'd also recommend that you join the Association if you decide to model ng
                        > in the 0 Gauge group of scales - I did when I moved into 7mm/ft scale narrow
                        > gauge nineteen years ago. Our 'Getting Started' Handbook will give you some
                        > basic background, the 'Small Layouts Handbook' will provide layout ideas,
                        > and the '0n30 Handbook' covers that part of our branch of the hobby, the
                        > part that is easiest to start with if you want ready to run and are prepared
                        > to model American. These handbooks are available to non-members through the
                        > book trade (e.g. Camden), but Association members can buy them direct.
                        >

                        > If you want to get a feel for the size of things without making too much
                        > capital commitment, Alphagraphix do a range of card kits of mainly Irish
                        > prototypes at prices that won't break the bank - and with a bit of the
                        > ingenuity that's essential if you're going to get on in this branch of the
                        > hobby, some of them can be made into 'working models' by adding running
                        > gear. Unfortunately he's mail order and selected shows only - and there's no
                        > website or telephone number in his adverts. On the other hand, whatever
                        > scale you work in, the smallest dimension that you can realistically achieve
                        > in a detail in your model will not vary - if you've ever worked in Z gauge
                        > as well as the larger scales you'll know that. Narrow gauge is not
                        > necessarily small - but it can be if you want it.
                        >

                        > Best wishes
                        >

                        > Peter

                      • johnbjthompson
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 13, 2012
                          You could do a lot worse than the Smallbrook Studio range as a starting point, £50 for a working loco using a OO chassis and a simple resin body kit, £25 for a coach or £15 for a wagon, both using OO wagon chassis.

                          Michael Rayner who runs Smallbrook attends a lot of shows, and is very helpful, if you can't make a show he's at the website has some very good photos, you can clearly see what you're getting.

                          The kits are basic, not very detailed, but give you something that looks pretty good quickly, and are perfect for personalisation with any little details you want to add.

                          John

                          --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Gunner" <tony.wells@...> wrote:

                          > At the moment I am just gathering what information I can about the hobby, but I would appreciate some help with layout design (including practical working radii, clearances, etc.) and details of component suppliers for such as coach axle boxes and the like. I also wish to know if there are any model railway shops in West Yorkshire that regular carry stocks of 7mm Narrow Guage locos and rolling stocks please, as the admittely few places I have tried so far will only supply "to special order", whereas I would prefer to see what I am buying beforehand please.
                          >
                          > Regards to all,
                          >
                          > TonyW.

                        • TonyW
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 13, 2012
                            Thanks John – there’s some nice looking stuff there, so the site has been bookmarked for a “serious dose of looking at” in due course, even a DeWinton!

                            Regards,

                            Tony.