Re: Hello...and help

  • S Davies
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 27, 2012
      Hi Gary,

      My first post on here too, so hello everyone else!

      Yes, I've had exactly the same problem as you with an old Hornby donor
      on Peco O16.5 points. The problem was the back-to-backs of the wheels
      being too narrow. The solution I used was to widen it by gently (or as
      gently as I could) by forcing the wheels further out on the axle with a
      screw driver blade or similar between wheel and chassis. However, if
      it's anything like mine then it is a horrendously tight fit and needs
      both a fair amount of force and bravery to get the wheels to move!

      If it's one of the older British build chassis like mine you might also
      find that once it's going through the points OK, it either won't move or
      it goes off like Usain Bolt off the blocks...the only 'fix' I've found
      for this is to add lots of weight...I'd be interested to hear if others
      have an alternative and more effective fix?
      rgds
      Simon
    • gary.kearley
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 27, 2012
        I did exactly the same, using a small screwdriver between the chassis and the wheels. It seems to have worked. Thanks to all for their advice. Joining the society has already paid for itself.

        --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, S Davies <simon.davies@...> wrote:

        > Hi Gary,
        >
        > My first post on here too, so hello everyone else!
        >
        > Yes, I've had exactly the same problem as you with an old Hornby donor
        > on Peco O16.5 points. The problem was the back-to-backs of the wheels
        > being too narrow. The solution I used was to widen it by gently (or as
        > gently as I could) by forcing the wheels further out on the axle with a
        > screw driver blade or similar between wheel and chassis. However, if
        > it's anything like mine then it is a horrendously tight fit and needs
        > both a fair amount of force and bravery to get the wheels to move!
        >
        > If it's one of the older British build chassis like mine you might also
        > find that once it's going through the points OK, it either won't move or
        > it goes off like Usain Bolt off the blocks...the only 'fix' I've found
        > for this is to add lots of weight...I'd be interested to hear if others
        > have an alternative and more effective fix?
        > rgds
        > Simon

      • Howard Clarke
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 28, 2012
          Hi Gary
          Do yourself a favour and put the chassis in the dustbin.
          If you want to make a reliable 7mm scale body look for a reliable quality chassis.
          I would recommend a Fleischmann 'Black Annie' chassis, not cheap but far better than a Hornby toy.
          Howard 215
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 28, 2012
            Hi everyone,

            My name is Peter Jackson and have been a member of the Association for many years but until retiring last year have not been able to do much in the way of real modelling. Things went well for a few months, got a couple of base boards made, got some rolling stock built, but then got involved with the Surrey Area Group, started helping other members with operating layouts, made some vague noises about helping the Association, got elected as Secretary, and the amount of modelling went down. Come the darker evenings ....

            To reply to Gary, don't be disheartened. I started out with a couple of Smallbrook locos, a new Hornby chassis and one off the second hand stall. Like you, I found problems with points but had an OO Society back to back gauge bought at Ally Pally and with a screwdriver simply eased the wheels out to the correct gauge. They moved very easily and no more problems. Both chassis have been converted to DCC using the very helpful step by step guides from the Hornby web site (I assure you I am no expert) and the two locos run very well. I took a layout and the two locos to the recent Surrey Area Group members' day, and they ran all day long with most members playing with them without a hiccup.

            The Hornby chassis may not be the best in the world, but they are a very good starting point, pretty bombproof, and cheap, so meet my purchasing criteria. I may get round to changing the wheels to something better, but while they run OK, why bother?

            Hope this helps