sharpest radius curves used

  • Robert_Kosmider
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 22, 2012
      Hello all

      I normally model in 7mm scale standard gauge but I'm wishing to build a narrow gauge feeder line from my quarry to brickworks.

      I'd like to use 16.5mm (OO) track.

      What is the sharpest curve anyone has used (off goup if you are embarrassed!!).

      I'd only be using a short wheel base loco an 0-4-0 and skip / tipper type wagons. I'd like to use 6 inch (150mm) radius in one place if that's feasible? Any comments please?

      Thank you
      Robert
    • daniel caso
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 22, 2012
        Robert:

               After several 016,5 , 0e and 0n30 layouts I am currently buiulding my third 1/32 scale one 16,5mm gauge using 200mm radius without troubles. The only issue is an obvious limitation on wheelbases and serious attention needed to determine type and position of couplers.
               The bigest  wheelbase I'm able to run is (0-4-0 locos and wagons )42mm but above 39mm one must be carefull at switches.
               This is not unprototypical if you are modelling industrial or agricultural railways. They had curves down to 2,5m radius. That is to say almost 57,5mm in 7mm scale.. Such small curves where just used for human or animal traction. The use of locomotive traction started while opportunity made it possible rather than where  catalogues adviced. Anyway with 200mm radius in 7mm scale you would be at 8,7m.
        From 5m up locomotive traction wasn´t rare and I´ve seen photos of 0-6-0 locos riding on it.

        I ordered my switches from John Vogelaar, a wellknown Dutch modellers with two right hands who can make for you all types of switches and every track diagran you want. And yes, he is a good friend but no, I have no commercial link with him. Actualy we became friends after he made  a dozen of switches for my first 1:32 layout .He has just built my resistance soldering system.

                           Daniel

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 22, 2012
          Robert,

          Not done it but seen it work.

          To watch

          Couplers, I doubt anything couples and uncouples automatically on such a
          tight curve, but Kadees will work once coupled. As soon as you have anything
          with overhang you'll need the longer shank types.

          Flexible track, if you try to bend it in one piece almost certainly you'll
          pull the sleepers off the track. It will also gauge tighten. I'd remove the
          sleepers and buy one of KB Scale or Metalsmith's benders. Bend the rails and
          then slide the sleepers back on one at a time. Though that doesn't solve the
          gauge tightening, there is a half millimetre of slop in the 00 standard
          which might be enough.

        • daniel caso
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 22, 2012
            Robert:

                     Frank is right, for sharp curves you need a long shank coupler. But this don't mean te shanks going too far from the vehicle end: it is just mounting them pivoting at a point as far from the vehicle end as needed.
                    The best way to measure this all is building two flat wagons with just the wheeled frame (if you are going to use 4 wheel ones) or two boguies on a piece of plexiglas or other transparent plastic. That way you will be able to follow exactly what happens at the curves with the couplers and find your best solutions. A row or holes along the car center axle will spare you time by making you able to displace the pivot center by just unscrewing and re screwing it on next -or other- hole.

                          Daniel