Poll

  • Track Dog
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2012
      That is an interesting poll. It does miss some of the other ways to mount structures and one of them is how I do it. I build structures on a base board of hardwood plywood 1/2". It has an overlapping edge perimeter of about 1" to 2" that is sceniced. That way I can remove to adjust lighting, details, and sound. I can also change eras as I want if I want.

      Regards,

      Lee
    • David Woodcock
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2012
        I, too, normally screw buildings down.

        Also, I am not sure that the "Pendon system" option is included where
        buildings incorporate a substantial base - think of it as a cellar -
        which is then sunk into a matching hole in the scenery. This is
        another method that I have used in the past, and which I continue to
        use where appropriate (for example, where a building is built into
        rising ground) in association with the "screw down" method.

        David Woodcock
      • cp
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2012
          Many layouts is the UK are built for exhibition. Many in the USA are not. Layouts designed for exhibition are by definition portable and thus usually have the buildings permanently fixed to the baseboard. This is surely a significant factor that needs to be taken into account when considering UK/USA differences.

          Christopher Payne

          "Portpyn" 1:34
          "St Pierre" 1:34e
          "Sutton Wharf" 1:25
          "Paradise Mining Co" 1:25
          "Brink Valley Tramway" 1:43.5
        • adrian hoad
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2012
            G'day

            Being on the other side of the world I decided not to enter the poll but I do like the idea of screwing the buildings down on a ply base.
            I normally just glue them down to the baseboard and hope that the lights don't blow or that major rebuilding is not required.

            Thanks for the idea.
            Will use it in the future.

            Adrian Hoad