[7mm NGA] Re: Fw: [16mmngm] Paints / Getting the right colour

  • ralph.gaskin@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 18 , May 3, 2012
      Dear all,

      No one has mentioned Railmatch enamel paints.(they do acrylic as well)
      My friends an I have been using them for years to great effect.
      They spray really well, and one coat is often enough.
      Brush painting is good as well.
      The range of colours covers most railway subjects, not just loco's.

      One of our group has just started using Pete Waterman's range of spray pains,and swears by them.He says it's impossible to get paint to run.

      I hope someone finds this useful.
      Ralph.

      --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Hingley" <pdh@...> wrote:

      > Dear Howard,
      >

      > Many thanks for yours, yes I have used many PP paints but they can be painfully slow drying. I am not really an airbrush expert - ( though I have JUST bought a compressor from Machine Mart, claimed to be ideal for airbrushing and excellent value at £77 !) and if possible I buy aerosols which save great deal of faffing about but PP do not do them for all colours in their range. Incidentally BRJ have recently run a 'rave' review about an Iwata airbrush which sounds excellent and reasonable priced.
      >

      > While on the subject of paint I don't know why people seem to ignore Revell paint, though not in 'railway match' colours it is excellent stuff for either brushing or spraying, goes on beautifully and dries quickly, takes transfers well, I use their red- brown for British PO wagons (red oxide) and North American boxcar red, their matt and satin black are also very good, widely available.
      >
      > PDH

    • Peter Hingley
      Message 2 of 18 , May 3, 2012
        Thank you, that is a really useful message ! Can you tell us what trade name the Waterman paints are sold under ? JLRT or what ??

        One disadvantage I forgot to mention about Revell paints is that they are only available in those soppy little tinlets which are probably fine for 1:76 Spitfires ( or maybe that should be Mustangs!) but not much use for Gauge One locos - PP do good size tins.

        Re airbrushing I have discovered that Boots do really good airtight bottles in various sizes at extremely reasonable prices which are ideal for holding paint ready thinned down for spraying.

        PDH

        Message 3 of 18 , May 3, 2012
          Gents,

          Can we have a bit of thread discipline please and deal with the title. It caused my eyebrows to rise when it was started with 16mm in it but fortunately we've got on to more general matters, suitable for 7mm scale as well!

          Adrian - moderating gently.

        • Roy Wood
          Message 4 of 18 , May 3, 2012
            Knuckles well and truly rapped Adrian. Apologies, but some of us do both 7mm and 16mm and paint is paint after all.

            Back on track, I don't remember anyone else mentioning that getting the right colour is one thing but whether it looks right is another altogether. For some odd reason to do with how our eyes perceive colour, it doesn't always scale as well as we might expect and a lot depends on the surroundings. And that is completely ignoring the effects of differing lighting conditions. Black is a classic example. It's very harsh and on a small model it often looks better toned down very slightly. Bright colours, too, can look harsh and rather strident.

            Mixing scales again (after all, I don't have any metaphors to mix here!), the well known and highly respected James Beeson used to accentuate very slightly certain details of his much admired O gauge locos - things like the proportion of a locomotive's chimney, for example. Although not exact scale (and we are talking very small differences here) it made his locos look more like the real thing. He was a true artist. I think colour is perhaps a bit like that too.
            regards
            Roy Wood

            ________________________________
            Can we have a bit of thread discipline please and deal with the title. It caused my eyebrows to rise when it was started with 16mm in it but fortunately we've got on to more general matters, suitable for 7mm scale as well!

            Adrian - moderating gently.

            --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Hingley" <pdh@...> wrote:

            > Thank you, that is a really useful message ! Can you tell us what trade name the Waterman paints are sold under ? JLRT or what ??
            >

            > One disadvantage I forgot to mention about Revell paints is that they are only available in those soppy little tinlets which are probably fine for 1:76 Spitfires ( or maybe that should be Mustangs!) but not much use for Gauge One locos - PP do good size tins.
            >

            > Re airbrushing I have discovered that Boots do really good airtight bottles in various sizes at extremely reasonable prices which are ideal for holding paint ready thinned down for spraying.
            >
            > PDH

          • Steve
            Message 5 of 18 , May 4, 2012
              --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, Roy Wood <lodgecot@...> wrote:

              > Back on track, I don't remember anyone else mentioning that getting the right colour is one thing but whether it looks right is another altogether.

              Roy is right and unless the aim is for a museum reference model, some deviation is probably necessary to 'look right'. The artist and maker of some fine miniature folk, Aidan Campbell, has a great article on his web site that gives some explanation on 'scale colour'. It can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/73c2rmt
              Using his ideas the same loco in 7mm scale will be lighter than the same one in 16mm scale so dabblers in both will need two tins of paint!
              Regards
              Steve W.
            • Ralph Gaskin
              Message 6 of 18 , May 4, 2012
                Hi Peter,
                             Pete Watermans paint is sold as JLTRT Sprayaway paints.

                Ralph.