Re: Ground signals

  • David Woodcock
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 30, 2012
      There is an excellent three-quarter angle view of a standard WHR
      weighted point lever as installed in 1923 at the top of page 82 in the
      second (2009) edition of Peter Johnson's "An Illustrated History of
      the Welsh Highland Railway".
    • Ron Houghton
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1 4:26 AM
        David, Thanks for the reference. Unfortunately, I have the first edition of the book published in 2002, which does not have that photograph. I wonder how much new information is contained in the 2009 edition, and is it worth buying? Cheers Ron
        > To: 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com
        > From: dandewoodcock@...
        > Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 23:27:05 +0200
        > Subject: [7mm NGA] Re: Ground signals
        >
        > There is an excellent three-quarter angle view of a standard WHR
        > weighted point lever as installed in 1923 at the top of page 82 in the
        > second (2009) edition of Peter Johnson's "An Illustrated History of
        > the Welsh Highland Railway".

      • David Woodcock
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1 11:55 AM
          Having checked right through my copy of the 1st edition of Peter
          Johnson's "An Illustrated History of the Welsh Highland Railway" I can
          confirm that it doesn't include any useful views of a WHR weighted
          point lever.

          On the question of whether it is worth obtaining the 2nd edition if
          one has the 1st, I would say that I have never seen a situation where
          two editions of the "same" book have been so different. If the 2nd
          edition hadn't had to fit into OPC's (ie Ian Allan's) Illustrated
          History series I have little doubt that it would have been given a
          different title - there is much of interest in the 1st which is isn't
          in the 2nd and vice versa. I usually intensely dislike having to
          splash out £20 to buy a 2nd edition which has a little more text and a
          handful of different photos, when I already have the 1st, but in this
          case I am pleased to have both.

          David Woodcock
        • peterliddell2002
          Message 4 of 9 , May 1 3:24 PM
            --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, David Woodcock <dandewoodcock@...> wrote:

            > Having checked right through my copy of the 1st edition of Peter
            > Johnson's "An Illustrated History of the Welsh Highland Railway" I can
            > confirm that it doesn't include any useful views of a WHR weighted
            > point lever.

            I find this observation just a little surprising!

            The photograph identified by David in the second edition of Peter Johnson's book (top of page 82) also appears in the first edition. It can be found on the very first page (Frontispiece) and shows two trains crossing at South Snowdon (still identified as "Snowdon" when the picture was taken. The same picture can be found in at least seven other references, but if the first edition of Johnson's book is to hand then that will clearly suffice.

            > On the question of whether it is worth obtaining the 2nd edition if
            > one has the 1st, I would say that I have never seen a situation where
            > two editions of the "same" book have been so different. If the 2nd
            > edition hadn't had to fit into OPC's (ie Ian Allan's) Illustrated
            > History series I have little doubt that it would have been given a
            > different title - there is much of interest in the 1st which is isn't
            > in the 2nd and vice versa. I usually intensely dislike having to
            > splash out £20 to buy a 2nd edition which has a little more text and a
            > handful of different photos, when I already have the 1st, but in this
            > case I am pleased to have both.
            >
            > David Woodcock

            I can only echo David's observation - there are significant differences between the two editions and I also am pleased to have both versions in my library!

            Peter.
          • Ron Houghton
            Message 5 of 9 , May 2 10:29 AM
              David, Thanks for your comments, and it looks like a 2nd edition is on the cards. I appreciate you point about the cost of buying second or third editions and try not to for the same reasons as you. However, in recent years, especially with narrow gauge there have been 2nd editions which have been well worth buying. We have expensive hobbies............................. Kind regards Ron