Looking out of place??

  • wdrailway@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 29, 2012
      Hello, I have just trawled through the latest 'Daily Digest' from this
      group. The link to Kitwoodhill Models was interesting however being a
      much bigger scale modeller I am still not sure about the scales! Could
      I mix On30 and 0-16.5 in the same layout?? The ore chute on the above
      site looks great...something to buy in the future.

      Kind Regards

      Bill Reynolds

      http://www.amalgamatedconserves.org.uk
    • Howard Clarke
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 29, 2012
        Hi Bill
        0n30 and 0n16.5 both run on same gauge
        Figures can be used for either
        But American narrow gauge trains are considerably bigger than our Festiniog/Talyllyn trains
        Choice is yours so long as both sets of trains do not appear along side of each other, why not?
        This is a hobby and my Railway is MY Railway
        Howard 215

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 29, 2012
          Hi Bill

          Yes you can mix and match with these scales

          On30 is the American version - their O scale is 1/4 inch to 1 ft which is 1:48

          O-16.5 is one UK version - O scale here is 7mm to 1ft which is 1:43

          Oe is a Continental version using 1:45 although some countries use 1:43

          Within each scale there are a host of other gauges depending on the prototype - USA On3 for 3ft gauge and On2 for 2ft gauge, UK O14 14mm for scale 2ft, O21 for scale 3ft. Om continental metre gauge - plus lots of others !!

          The basic question should be - does it look right? If the answer is 'Yes' then go ahead. In real life there are tall, short, fat and thin people in just the same way as there are large and small buildings, large and small locos etc. Perhaps check the kit dimensions against a prototype and see if it would fit your requirements.

          With On30 and O-16.5 the one thing that is the same is that they both run on 16.5mm track gauge.

          Hope that helps and hasn't confused you too much - Good Luck !

          Mike

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 29, 2012
            Bill,

            Yes you can mix them, as both are in effect running to OO or HO wheel and
            track standards. American, On30 is 1:48 scale, UK O gauge and hence O-16.5
            uses 1:43rd scale. However in real life the American stuff was usually much
            bigger than UK narrow gauge. The thing you need to watch is figures. Though
            a 1:48 scale figure looks just small on 1:43rd trains, there are small
            people. It doesn’t look right though when 1:43rd figure stands next to and
            dwarfs a 1:48 doorway. Despite the scale difference unless you are modelling
            Leek and Manifold or Lynton and Barnstaple, or current WHR most of you
            clearance problems will be down to the American stuff.

            My solution has been to modify most of the Bachmann 1:48 to 1:43rd. It means
            lifting cab roofs, and splitting coaches horizontally under the windows and
            inserting a 6mm piece of plasticard strip. A lot of work, but then the
            coaches are taller, so proportionally thinner and look better (in my
            opinion) on 16.5mm track.

            I tell the Americans it is On28¼ , and that the only reason they adopted
            1:48 was that no-one in the USA could divide by 43.5 until George Bush
            Junior came along.