York Model Railway Show

  • Robin Edwards
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 17 11:40 AM
      Hi everyone,

      Just recovering from an excellent three days at York over Easter.  Roger Brown helped me exhibit Ashcross and we were in good company.  We were next to the 7mm NGA stand and had the pleasure of our Chairman's company on the Saturday and even found time to operate Ashcross.  There was plenty there for the narrow gauge modeller, although I felt somewhat inadequate alongside Bob Dawson's excellent "Aber Wryst Watch" (see April's Railway Modeller) and Otto Schouwstra's exquisite "Eneret".  The show broke with tradition this year in that it was held over three instead of four days, but succeeded in turning around attendance and had more than 9000 visitors.

      The three days was barely enough to get around all 118 stands when you have the inconvenience of operating one yourself and a number of the trade stands had some interesting-looking bits.  Tower Models from Blackpool had discounted Bachmann On30 stock and the O scale trams - these are mounted on 40mm wheelbase underfloor drive units with wheel that are about 17 or 18mm in diameter.  At about £26 they are equivalent to a SPUD and seem to drive better - I suspect that the larger wheels means that they can get a higher gear ratio and the longer wheelbase gives more scope for a larger motor.  They certainly sold quickly and I think it would be useful if anyone who has one could give the rest of us some details.

      Mike Cook, the show organiser, was occasionally on a demonstration table building one of the Agenoria Hunslet locos - this looked to be an excellent kit and Mike seemed pleased with the design and the ease of construction.  I think one of these would look very nice in 14mm gauge!  (something else to divert my time!).

      The next show for Ashcross is a one day "Celebration of Larger Scale Railway Modelling" on Saturday 19th May (one week after the 7mm NGA AGM/Convention) at the Oasis Leisure Centre, North Star Avenue, Swindon.  Opening time is 10:00 to 16:30, Admission is £3-50 for adults (accompanying wife/partner £2-50), OAPs/children £2-50, family (2+2) £8-00.  The advert says (which is the only information I have at the moment) there will be layouts and test tracks in 7mm & 1 Gauge, friendly workshops and full trade support (at least 60 traders in 7mm, 10 plus in 1 Gauge).  This should be an interesting (and hopefully not too expensive!) day.

      Things are quiet until September (my own club's show at Gloucester), October (West Kirby, Wirral) and December (Manchester) - more details of these later.

      Looking forward to the AGM/Convention.

      Regards,

      Robin Edwards.
    • John Carpenter
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 18 11:58 AM
                     Oi! Things are quiet until September?

                     I should coco!

                    This weekend is Wimborne Railway Society's bi-annual mega-colossus show - not only will the fabulous 0-9 "Gideon Poseltwaite-Millwrights & Engineers" layout be there, but probably the worlds largest 009, built by the club - I am reliably informed you need binoculars to see the far end from standing at t'other.

        Quiet, indeed!

        All joking aside, Wimborne IS a great, two day show,

        John Carpenter

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 18 2:14 PM
          Umm,

          I meant quiet for me!

          The Wimbourne show sounds very interesting, shame its so close after York - I need to catch up on more mundane things (like digging a garden pond).

          Any more exhibition info out there?

          Cheers,

          Robin.