Re: OBB Loco Class 2091 drawings dimensions

  • James C
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 11, 2011
      Dear Ian,
      Many thanks for the info. My vague plan is to cut down a Bachmann American diesel loco chassis, or a DMU chassis or heaven forbid use 2 inspection Ernie chassis if they will work together. But not for the forseeable future, I have too much to do.
      best wishes,
      James #3469

      --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "ianathompson" <ianathompson@...> wrote:

      > James,
      >
      > Re length of OBB 2091. My, admittedly freelanced loco, based on the 2091 measures 21 cms.
      >
      > I don't know how far you have thought about building your model but I based mine around the Fleischmann industrial diesel shunter chassis, which runs well and is a reasonable puller, especially when weighted. The two pony trucks were added to this and fitted with pick ups to aid running. If I remember correctly D Cox built a 009 version around a bogie chassis and disguised the central section behind the frames. This is probably an easier constructional option provided that you can find a reasonable chassis as the pony truck pivots are difficult to arrange and my model is the very devil to take apart fot maintenance.
      >
      > The body was amde from styrene but to give it strength I used a type
      > of converted U section along the whole of the chassis. This formed the bonnet for the motor and the cab and luggage section were built outside this. Although it is now some years old the footplate has remained straight.
      >
      > The occasional photo of the loco has appeared in NL as part of the AFK series. If you want to see more photos, if it helps, I can post them on the website or send them to you off site.
      >
      > Ian Thompson

    • Howard Clarke
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 12, 2011
        Hi James
        Underground Ernie is not the best of chassis even in pairs.
        May I suggest an Athearn switcher/GP chassis, plenty on the second-hand market for around £20-£25.
        Regards
        Howard
        Many thanks for the info. My vague plan is to cut down a Bachmann American diesel loco chassis, or a DMU chassis or heaven forbid use 2 inspection Ernie chassis if they will work together. But not for the forseeable future, I have too much to do.
        best wishes,
        James #3469

        --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "ianathompson" <ianathompson@...> wrote:

        > James,
        >
        > Re length of OBB 2091. My, admittedly freelanced loco, based on the 2091 measures 21 cms.
        >
        > I don't know how far you have thought about building your model but I based mine around the Fleischmann industrial diesel shunter chassis, which runs well and is a reasonable puller, especially when weighted. The two pony trucks were added to this and fitted with pick ups to aid running. If I remember correctly D Cox built a 009 version around a bogie chassis and disguised the central section behind the frames. This is probably an easier constructional option provided that you can find a reasonable chassis as the pony truck pivots are difficult to arrange and my model is the very devil to take apart fot maintenance.
        >
        > The body was amde from styrene but to give it strength I used a type
        > of converted U section along the whole of the chassis. This formed the bonnet for the motor and the cab and luggage section were built outside this. Although it is now some years old the footplate has remained straight.
        >
        > The occasional photo of the loco has appeared in NL as part of the AFK series. If you want to see more photos, if it helps, I can post them on the website or send them to you off site.
        >
        > Ian Thompson

      • Russell Evans
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 12, 2011
          Hello Howard,
          You mention that there are plenty Athearn switchers available on the second hand market. How does someone like me well away from centers of population access this market?
          Regards
          Russell Evans
          Many thanks for the info. My vague plan is to cut down a Bachmann American diesel loco chassis, or a DMU chassis or heaven forbid use 2 inspection Ernie chassis if they will work together. But not for the forseeable future, I have too much to do.
          best wishes,
          James #3469

          --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "ianathompson" <ianathompson@...> wrote:

          > James,
          >
          > Re length of OBB 2091. My, admittedly freelanced loco, based on the 2091 measures 21 cms.
          >
          > I don't know how far you have thought about building your model but I based mine around the Fleischmann industrial diesel shunter chassis, which runs well and is a reasonable puller, especially when weighted. The two pony trucks were added to this and fitted with pick ups to aid running. If I remember correctly D Cox built a 009 version around a bogie chassis and disguised the central section behind the frames. This is probably an easier constructional option provided that you can find a reasonable chassis as the pony truck pivots are difficult to arrange and my model is the very devil to take apart fot maintenance.
          >
          > The body was amde from styrene but to give it strength I used a type
          > of converted U section along the whole of the chassis. This formed the bonnet for the motor and the cab and luggage section were built outside this. Although it is now some years old the footplate has remained straight.
          >
          > The occasional photo of the loco has appeared in NL as part of the AFK series. If you want to see more photos, if it helps, I can post them on the website or send them to you off site.
          >
          > Ian Thompson

        • Howard Clarke
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 13, 2011
            Hi Russell
            Not sure where you live but if you can access the internet and look up where the NMRA have their meets in your area you might find a second-hand trader there, I used to visit the Calder Northern meets who now have their monthly meets in the old Crewe station North signal box, bought most of locos/chassis from there.
            Regards
            Howard 215
            You mention that there are plenty Athearn switchers available on the second hand market. How does someone like me well away from centers of population access this market?
            Regards
            Russell Evans
            Many thanks for the info. My vague plan is to cut down a Bachmann American diesel loco chassis, or a DMU chassis or heaven forbid use 2 inspection Ernie chassis if they will work together. But not for the forseeable future, I have too much to do.
            best wishes,
            James #3469

            --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "ianathompson" <ianathompson@...> wrote:

            > James,
            >
            > Re length of OBB 2091. My, admittedly freelanced loco, based on the 2091 measures 21 cms.
            >
            > I don't know how far you have thought about building your model but I based mine around the Fleischmann industrial diesel shunter chassis, which runs well and is a reasonable puller, especially when weighted. The two pony trucks were added to this and fitted with pick ups to aid running. If I remember correctly D Cox built a 009 version around a bogie chassis and disguised the central section behind the frames. This is probably an easier constructional option provided that you can find a reasonable chassis as the pony truck pivots are difficult to arrange and my model is the very devil to take apart fot maintenance.
            >
            > The body was amde from styrene but to give it strength I used a type
            > of converted U section along the whole of the chassis. This formed the bonnet for the motor and the cab and luggage section were built outside this. Although it is now some years old the footplate has remained straight.
            >
            > The occasional photo of the loco has appeared in NL as part of the AFK series. If you want to see more photos, if it helps, I can post them on the website or send them to you off site.
            >
            > Ian Thompson

          • James C
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 13, 2011
              Dear Howard,
              Many thanks for your info and suggestions, always welcomed.
              best wishes,
              James

              --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Howard Clarke" <carrage32@...> wrote:

              > Hi James
              > Underground Ernie is not the best of chassis even in pairs.
              > May I suggest an Athearn switcher/GP chassis, plenty on the second-hand market for around £20-£25.
              > Regards
              > Howard

            • James C
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 13, 2011
                Dear Howard,
                Just had a look in the stock box and I have enough, one 17 cms American 2nd hand Model Power made in Yugoslavia,the chassis will be made into another Hungarian MK 49 and 2 new Bachmanns one 21cms and one 17 cms. My cup overfloweth, I just have to get back to the UK and find somewhere to live in Suffolk near my Mum.