RE: [7mm NGA] Re: Convention 2011 at Burton-upon-Trent

    Message 1 of 19 , May 10, 2011
      Adrian,

      As the one who suggested the fire station idea to Bill when he was looking
      at setting up a Scottish area group let me chip in. Though one or two of the
      larger stations do have a fair sized room, none that I know of would suit
      half as well as Burton town hall. The old fire station at Rochdale, now I
      think a museum, was for many years the venue of Rochdale MRC's annual
      exhibition, and at the time was the active local station. They had a huge
      open room upstairs, but bear in mind that it was probably incorporated as a
      local amenity as the fire station was old local authority built. So, though
      I've thrown in the odd idea of how to use the present venue differently the
      location suits, though oddly putting it back a month will cause me a
      problem.

      What may be of interest to anyone looking for a meeting room is that any new
      fire station is or at least was required to have a community room. The one
      we've used for the photographic club in Todmorden is only about the size of
      the Green Room at Burton, but perfectly adequate for a small group and free.
      As Bill wasn't envisaging huge numbers and a Scot, I thought size and cost
      would be of interest.

      I'm just glad that no-one asked on Saturday what was "behind the green
      door". Those who've led a sheltered life may look it up and find the
      connection with soap powder!