Re: [7mm NGA] Orphan seeks parent

  • Sonnie Raee
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 6, 2011
      Frank,
      Could your Spud be looking for a De Winton to play with.
      Regards Sonnie

      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 6, 2011
        Anyone know how easy (or otherwise) it is to put extended axles and outside
        cranks on a a Spud?

        Steve

        ________________________________

        Frank,
        Could your Spud be looking for a De Winton to play with.
        Regards Sonnie

        --->

        > ------------------------------------
        >
        > This group is:
        > 1 - for people interested in modelling narrow gauge
        > railways in 7mm:1ft scale or thereabouts
        > 2 - not restricted to members of the 7mm Narrow Gauge
        > Association although membership of said organisation is
        > thoroughly recommended
        > 3 - moderated by current serving members of the 7mm Narrow
        > Gauge Association committeeYahoo! Groups Links
        >

        >     7mmnga-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      • Mick
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 6, 2011
          Hi all!
          I have used SPUDs by extending the axles on my D&HR Class 'D' Garratt. See the photo-file!
          The axles are 2mm steel rod - easily available for mini gear sets.
          The wheels are 14mm dia. from the usual sources.
          I 'crimp' the axle in the centre to grip the gear.
          The ends of the axles are 'reduced' by rotating in an Expo drill and using a file until small enough to run a die down them to suit Romford outside cranks with brass balance weights added. The pick-ups will need attention to rub on the rims of the larger wheels. It has worked well for me & I will probably use the same methods again. The valve gear is modified from a suitable etch from Comet, but Branchlines do sets of cranks & coupling rods for SPUDs.
          Happy cobbling from a sunny Gloucestershire, Robert. No. 2823.

        • andrewyoung@mypostoffice.co.uk
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 6, 2011
            Somone else has already pointed out it could be from a De Winton. What
            chassis is supposed to go under the WD Tin Turtles the 40Hp simplexes?

            Andrew

            > In a drawer I've turned up a brand new Tenshodo SPUD, 31 mm wheelbase. No
            > kit, no notes, all forlorn on its own. I've had it quite a while from what
            > it is buried under, and maybe it was bought in error for a shorter
            > wheelbase
            > or as part of a job lot.

            http://www.netintelligence.com/email
          • ianj0trains
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 6, 2011
              Hi All,

              The Branchlines flycranks and rods were/are for the 31mm Spud. I've got two sets of them that have been sitting here for probably around 15 years or so, maybe longer, but only one 31mm Spud. No idea now why either...

              Cheers

              Ian J

              --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Mick" <diggypatch@...> wrote:
              >> Hi all!

              SNIP

              > The valve gear is modified from a suitable etch from Comet, but Branchlines do sets of cranks & coupling rods for SPUDs.

              > Happy cobbling from a sunny Gloucestershire, Robert. No. 2823.

            • Bruce Wilson
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 6, 2011
                At 17:15 4/6/2011, you wrote:
                >Somone else has already pointed out it could be from a De Winton. What
                >chassis is supposed to go under the WD Tin Turtles the 40Hp simplexes?
                >
                >Andrew

                Tenshodo WB28.7 according to the kit I have.

                > > In a drawer I've turned up a brand new Tenshodo SPUD, 31 mm wheelbase. No
                > > kit, no notes, all forlorn on its own. I've had it quite a while from what
                > > it is buried under, and maybe it was bought in error for a shorter
                > > wheelbase
                > > or as part of a job lot.

                >This email has been scanned by Netintelligence
                >http://www.netintelligence.com/email

                -
                Bruce Wilson
                Barrie, Ontario
                Life Member NMRA Member Gauge 0 Guild
                Member Scale 7 Group Member 7mm NGA
                Member Bird Studies Canada Member Ontario Bird Banding Association
              • Brian Rumary
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 8, 2011
                  Andrewyoung@... wrote:

                  > What
                  > chassis is supposed to go under the WD Tin Turtles the 40Hp simplexes?

                  I doubt it would matter too much, as the wheels and chassis of these
                  locos were completely hidden! Rather like on the PECO kit for the Glyn
                  Valley locos.

                  Brian Rumary, England

                  www.rumary.co.uk
                • Geoff Loynes
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 9, 2011
                    I used a Tenshodo Spud when I built one from a Wrightlines kit. ISTR that the cast brackets holding the chassis in place underneath occasionally grounded on pointwork, so I had to take a file to the castings to improve the clearances!

                    Geoff L