Scottish group.

  • bill2475dw
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31, 2011
      Hi all,
      My name is in the Narrow Lines, and i am trying to see if there is enough interest in Scotland to start up a group.
      The idea is to start a group and have some king of premises in which to build a narrow gauge layout to show at exhibitions and to swop ideas and ways to model.
      You will find my tel number on the front page or just email me.
      Cheers
      Bill Ferguson.
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2011
        Bill,

        Little known, but English fire stations nearly all have a 'community room'.
        It may only be typical house room size but sometimes it can be quite large.
        It is free to use though obviously you need to book it. There's usually
        access to a toilet, though there may not be a 'kitchen' area.

        As a Scot no doubt you latched onto the free bit! I've used the one in
        Todmorden for the photographic society several times. You couldn't build a
        permanent layout there but it would do for preliminary meetings, assuming of
        course that this applies north of the border.

        Frank

        __

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2011
          Bill,

          Bit of a 'P.S.' to the last message, but as Scotland is a big place, using
          fire station community rooms would allow group meetings to 'move around' so
          the same folk wouldn't always be the long distance travellers.

        • bill2475dw
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2011
            Thanks Frank,
            That is a idea worth thinking about.
            Where are you, i live in Dunfermline.
            I was trying to see what the numbers would be to see if it is possible.
            I have had two phone calls so far.
            One in the same town and the other in the Highlands.
            Unfortunatly the latter never left a phone number.
            But yes, you are right, Scotland does cover a wide area.
            Cheers
            Bill.
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1, 2011
              Bill,

              I'm in a remote part of Scotland, or one of the bits we recovered after
              Prince Charlie's march, otherwise Halifax! So more a YAG (Yorkshire Area
              Group) aka David Charlesworth's mob. It was just a suggestion for a meeting
              room.

              I have friends on Mull. There used to be a fairly active model railway group
              there. You might recall an article on Model Rail years ago telling how they
              got a grant and built a clubroom next to the Isle of Mull narrow gauge
              railway up by the ferry. I never went but knew two members, both died so I
              don't know whether it still functions. Not as far as I'm aware any narrow
              gauge.

              Frank

              __

            • bill2475dw
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 1, 2011
                Hey Frank,
                Cheers for that. I will to see if there are any more responses.
                Bill