Re: [7mm NGA] Pro-scale Ffestiniog kit

  • stephen
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 7, 2011
      --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Sharp" <robertfairlie@...> wrote:

      > Steve,
      > This sounds awfully like the Mercian kit.
      > Frank
      >
      > I wondered that Frank, but having checked Mercian's website, their version has matchboarded sides whereas my kit has plain panelling. Thats not to say of course that the artwork may have been modified in the interim.
    • Taylor, David
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 7, 2011
        Hi Steve,

        I vaguely remember this kit being announced in a very early edition of Narrow Lines, (No.8?) and being reviewed by Don Mason.
        IIRC it was considered below standard even then, but I will look it up and confirm later.

        I dont think Pro-Scale produced any other narrow gauge kits, and they withdrew from the model-railway field several years ago.

        Maybe our Highly Esteemed TLO can shed more light on the matter?

        Cheers,
        Dave.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 7, 2011
          Hi

          The trail starts in NL 7 with a review by GAT (Geoff Thorne ?) of what is decribed there as a Welsh Highland Railway coach which includes the lovely words 'When completed it is obvious as to which prototype this kit is based on.' NL 8 has a review of a Proscale FR quarryman's coach and a response from Proscale to the two reviews. NL9 refers to a second bogie coach '100% better than the first offering' - a review was promised but I've not found it.

          Hope that helps.

          Best wishes

          Peter

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 7, 2011
            I can only recall three 7mm NG kits, the FR Quarryman's (later style) which
            I think was the most successful of the three, an open bogie WHR coach which
            had the holes for the grab handles on the opening bit of the doors and the
            hole for the door handle on the coach body(!) and the FR bogie coach which I
            think had ends that were too narrow and guard duckets that just didn't fit.

            I am really dragging the depths of my memory!

            Regards,

            Robin

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 7, 2011
              ________________________________
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 7, 2011
                But you are spot on Robin! I had one of each of the bogie carriages, faulty as you describe and only ever part built, and three of the quarrymens, all built but then sold.
                The apparent promise for 7mm FR modelling of these kits was such a disappointment when the bogie carriages were so poor was one reason why I dropped out of the Association after a couple of years in the very early days (Memb no 60 something, I think) in favour of joining in with Scalefour modelling friends.

                The Mercian kits for the FR brake van conversions are only related in the prototype and were completely new when launched. They are good!

                Adrian

                --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Robin Edwards" <robin@...> wrote:

                > I can only recall three 7mm NG kits, the FR Quarryman's (later style) which
                > I think was the most successful of the three, an open bogie WHR coach which
                > had the holes for the grab handles on the opening bit of the doors and the
                > hole for the door handle on the coach body(!) and the FR bogie coach which I
                > think had ends that were too narrow and guard duckets that just didn't fit.
                >
                > I am really dragging the depths of my memory!
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Robin

              • stephen
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 21, 2011
                  I've uploaded a few pics of this 'project' in the second Helford Valley album. The roof inexplicably went missing when the photos were taken!
                  Steve