Hawk or Testors San Francisco Cable Car Kit

    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 22, 2010
      Please does anyone have this kit, or even the box. I've thrown all my boxes
      but have several in various states of modification. I'm thinking of writing
      it up for Narrow Lines but it would be helpful to show where I started from.
      So does anyone have a kit built up (heaven forbid) straight as it comes, or
      one to build? I'm looking for a photo of either the kit built as intended or
      a decent scan of the box lid with the picture.

      I understand this kit has been re-released, more comebacks than some pop
      stars, and nearly as old, though I don't know who with, a scan of that kit
      box will do.

      Thanks

      Frank

      P.S. I am NOT in the market for anymore kits!!!!!!!!!!

    • Alan Rogers
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 22, 2010

        I have an unmolested kit still in the box but I can't scan it as the box is
        bigger than A4.

        I can sort out a carefully staged photo but that'll have to be tomorrow as
        we've got energy saving light bulbs and they ruin pictures in the evening.

        Let me know if you want me to do this.

        Cheers

        Alan

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 22, 2010
          Alan,

          Yes a photo of the box lid would do fine. However I'd better ask if this is
          the Hawk/Testor 1/48 scale or a larger scale? As I remember the box it would
          easily fit on an A4 scanner, however there is a very nice 1/24 scale version
          out there which is a much larger box.

          Frank

          ._,___

        • Paul Martin
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 22, 2010

            Try this link www.lindberg-models.com/land_model72162.html

            The ones I have are all in bits too.

            The kit has been rereleased, the UK importer doesn't have any but, subject
            to resolving a scale issue, EDM Models should have a supply just before
            Christmas.

            The anomaly is that whilst the kit is clearly the Hawk/Testors kit
            re-released at 1:48 scale there are images, box artwork and descriptions on
            the web that say its 1/25th. The UK importer also thought it was 1/25th and
            is checking. If you click on the "buy now" button it takes you to an Amazon
            page which describes it as 1/25

            As there is a minimum quantity to the bulk order I need to be sure of the
            scale

            Paul Martin, EDM Models

            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 22, 2010
              At 12:23 11/22/2010, you wrote:
              >Please does anyone have this kit, or even the box. I've thrown all my boxes
              >but have several in various states of modification. I'm thinking of writing
              >it up for Narrow Lines but it would be helpful to show where I started from.
              >So does anyone have a kit built up (heaven forbid) straight as it comes, or
              >one to build? I'm looking for a photo of either the kit built as intended or
              >a decent scan of the box lid with the picture.
              >
              > I understand this kit has been re-released, more comebacks than some pop
              >stars, and nearly as old, though I don't know who with, a scan of that kit
              >box will do.
              >
              >Thanks
              >Frank

              Frank:

              Some information is on-line

              <http://www.cable-car-guy.com/html/ccmodel.html#hawk>

              <http://www.megahobby.com/sanfranciscocablecar1-48hawkmodels.aspx>

              <http://www.oldmodelkits.com/index.php?detail=18839&manu=Hawk&searchtext=cable%20car>

              HTH

              Bruce Wilson
              Barrie, Ontario, Canada
              Life Member NMRA
              Member Scale 7 Group Gauge 0 Guild 7mmNGA
              Member Bird Studies Canada Ontario Field Ornithologists
              Ontario Bird Banding Association Brereton Field Naturalists' Club
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 22, 2010
                That's the one Paul, and if you follow the link you gave it does say 1/48 on
                the web page. Interesting too see it is 'skill level' 3, for what is a very
                straight forward kit. I assume level 1 comes in a self opening box.

                The 1/24 or 1/25 kit I mentioned in reply to Alan is I think from either a
                European or Japanese maker and is a very detailed kit with a basic shell
                made from wood. Definitely not a mistake on the packaging as I've seen
                inside a box at Manchester Bus Museum's Tram show earlier this year.

                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 22, 2010
                  Thanks Bruce,

                  I note at least one of the references you give does initially indicate a
                  1:25th scale, however it is obviously the ex Hawk kit.

                  One of the reasons I'm asking for help from members as it avoids any
                  copyright questions.

                  Frank

                  _

                • Alan Rogers
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 22, 2010

                    It's definitely the quarter inch version but the box is 40mm x 125mm by
                    330mm; an A4 sheet is 297mm on its longest side.

                    Alan

                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 22, 2010
                      --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Sharp" <robertfairlie@...> wrote:

                      > That's the one Paul, and if you follow the link you gave it does say 1/48 on
                      > the web page. Interesting too see it is 'skill level' 3, for what is a very
                      > straight forward kit. I assume level 1 comes in a self opening box.

                      No no!!

                      'Punter opens box to see etched brass tracery....That's not a KIT!!!'

                      An experience related to me by Pete McParlin. Aparently that American's expectation of "A Kit" was that you open the box yourself but only have to fix the couplings and, perhaps, a handrail or two, before putting the model on the track and driving it away!!

                      "Two nations divided by a common language."

                      :-)

                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 22, 2010
                        Thanks Alan, I didn't think the boxes I had were that long. However I've
                        long since removed a lot of the parts from the sprues and cut them to fit
                        the 'projects drawer'. A photo of the box would be most appreciated, no
                        rush, I have to make them up as I want them, photograph, and write it all up
                        for PP. He already has enough from me to keep him quiet for a month or two!

                        Frank

                        ,___

                      • Vince Bradley
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 23, 2010
                          Adrian,
                          Actually I would disagree with Pete. While there is the ready to run stuff
                          in the US there have been some very fine Kits such as Fine Scale Miniatures,
                          Grandt line, Tichy, Keystone etc. I think Pete's experience has to do with
                          some of the On30 crowd. They have the simplistic idea about kits probably
                          developed from their time in H.O. I will say that we expect a kit to
                          contain all the parts including wheels and motors and have reasonable
                          instructions.
                          I recently visit a friend's house who does some professional modeling in his
                          spare time and he had just completed 2 of 5 Case steam traction engines from
                          Keith Weismann's company and the detail is amazing. All in white metal. An
                          earlier one had been taken by hand to Greece for a customer. There is a kit
                          to get your teeth into.
                          All in good fun as I don't build kits anymore. I use them for spare parts
                          and scratch build the rest.
                          Take care and enjoy yourself,
                          Vincent Bradley, Cincinnati

                          > That's the one Paul, and if you follow the link you gave it does say 1/48
                          on
                          > the web page. Interesting too see it is 'skill level' 3, for what is a
                          very
                          > straight forward kit. I assume level 1 comes in a self opening box.

                          No no!!

                          'Punter opens box to see etched brass tracery....That's not a KIT!!!'

                          An experience related to me by Pete McParlin. Aparently that American's
                          expectation of "A Kit" was that you open the box yourself but only have to
                          fix the couplings and, perhaps, a handrail or two, before putting the model
                          on the track and driving it away!!

                          "Two nations divided by a common language."

                          :-)

                        • icress
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 24, 2010
                            Hi all
                            just picked up this item
                            herewith copy of the Hawk box, I also have some of the original transfers
                            hope this of help
                            Irvine Cresswell

                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 1, 2010
                              The Lindberg version is confirmed at being 1:48 scale and I should have a
                              supply this side of Christmas.

                              With the kit commercially available I am doodling some ideas for laser cut
                              parts to make a mod kit for narrow gauging these cable cars.

                              I'll say more when I have the kits here

                              Paul Martin, EDM models

                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 1, 2010
                                Hi All,

                                In light of the recent posts about these kits, I have just uploaded four photographs (folder is Ian J's models) of coaches and combines built from these kits around 25 to 30 years ago by my late father.

                                The first person to build an On30 (then called On2&1/2) carriage using these kits was I believe David Gast, who wrote about it in the American magazine Railroad Model Craftsman, probably around 1963/64. My father corresponded with David for some years, and later on built five carriages (obviously using 10 kits,) plus two combines, which used the ends, side windows, and roofs of the kits.

                                Sadly he never got to see them run on a layout, and my own attempt at building a layout some years ago came to nothing as long term readers of Narrow Lines may recall. I intend commencing on another layout next year, so they will, hopefully, finally get to be used.

                                Cheers

                                Ian J
                                Melb, Aust.
                              • William Uffelman
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 1, 2010
                                  A very nice and memorable collection -- you are lucky.

                                  The Nevada County NG in California had a couple of former cable cars as excursion cars -- one of Dave Gast's inspirations.

                                  There are photos of a non-cable car passenger car from Pennsylvania with platform hoods obviously made of metal instead of wood -- the car body has the look of a long cable car.

                                  Early US NG is fun!

                                  Bill Uffelman
                                  Las Vegas NV

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 3, 2010
                                    Hi Ian, Bill and Group,
                                    just because most of the cable trams stated out as standard gauge, not all of them remained that way. Here are two that are now on 2' gauge in Australia
                                    Car 430 from Melbourne (US design)

                                    http://www.ilrms.com.au/car_430.htm

                                    and
                                    Car 95 from Sydney (Australian design)

                                    http://www.ilrms.com.au/car_95.htm

                                    and 4 more photos of exteriors and interiors of each are now in the Oztrainz album in the photos area.

                                    A quickie "near-enough" Car 430 can be made from a bogied Bachmann On30 streetcar. I'll add some photos of the models of Car 95 and Car 430 to the Yallah2 album shortly.

                                    I look forward to seeing some photos of your models in action on your layout Ian,
                                    Regards,
                                    John Garaty
                                    Unanderra in oz