Sierra Leone 2-6-2T

  • Howard Clarke
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2 7:57 AM
      Hi Chaps
      Most of what DT said is correct.
      I do not wish to sound greedy but I had four of these kits at one time as I had considered modelling the SLGR, two are now made up and two I sold through the Association sales. Both the made up ones are assembled from and etched brass chassis that came with the kit, the frames were rather thin brass with slots to take 4mm scale loco turned brass bearings which could be made sprung, compensated or rigid, one of my that was professionally made has a compensated chassis powered by a Portescap motor and the other is rigid powered by a Mashima 16mm diameter can motor through London Road models 40:1 gearbox, both run beautifully.
      During my period as Trade Liaison Officer for the Association I chased this kit up.
      The chap who owned Vulcan, sorry forgotten his name also had another kit under a label ('0' Locos) that produced a kit for a GWR 1361 Class saddle tank and I think an industrial loco as well, it was these kits that Eric Underhill wanted, Eric was not interested in narrow gauge, later the range passed to ABS/Wrightlines and Kay Butler was going to sell the SLGR 2-6-2T under the Keykits label but not sure if she ever did, check with Adrian Gray.
      Interesting point is that I have an '0' Locos GWR saddle tank and that is compensated exactly the same way as the SLGR 2-6-2T is AND the boxes that both kits came in are identical.
      Hope this helps
      Howard Clarke with a snotty cold from Africa.