Re: [7mm NGA] Sierra Leone Hunslet 2-6-2T Kitm (& Dougal)

  • ianj0trains
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1, 2010
      Hi Stephen,

      This intrigues me as I wasn't aware Wrightlines ever released this loco as a whitemetal body, in fact I'm pretty positive they didn't. The only 0-16.5mm model I'm aware of was the Vulcan kit, later sold by others, which was all etched brass. I've two of these, and while the chassis is not easy to put together, it's certainly a better design than several others have been. A fair number of these I think were fitted to Lima 08 chassis as people didn't feel confident to build the brass one, hence (I suspect) the occaisional inference that it was sold as a "body only" kit.

      I've no idea who has the phototools and casting patterns for that kit now, but Adrian Swain would probably be as likely a person to have them as anyone, so is this chassis to be designed by Kevin Trim for a whitemetal body, or a replacement chassis for the etched brass one ?

      Cheers

      Ian J
      Melb, Aust

      --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, stephen howe <stephenjhowe@...> wrote:

      > Tim
      > There may be a glimmer of hope on this particular horizon, talking to Adrian Swain at Shepton he told me he was working with Kevin Trim of Dorset Kits to develop a chassis kit for his whitemetal (Wrightlines) body kit. Kevin corroborated this but said he would not be able to start work on the kit design until early this summer. Given the superb etchings he produced for his Welshpool loco, it is to be hoped this plan comes to fruition. I for one want at least one Sierra Leone loco as do, I suspect many more, perhaps concerted gentle pressure on both manufacturers might help it along?

    • Chris Holmes
      Message 2 of 13 , May 1, 2010
        Chaps,

        I have one of the original "Merlin Models" (Tom Cooper) versions of what became the Vulcan Models kit. It is awaiting my finding the "Round To It" now I am retired. This kit was originally designed to fit directly on a Lima 08 chassis - with the raised spring and axlebox detail rubbed off the Lima outside frames - with Eames (remember them) valvegear supplied with the Merlin etches and whitemetal castings. If the Vulan version had a brass chassis, that was an improvement.

        Regards
        Chris Holmes
        7mmNGA Member No. 42

        Message 3 of 13 , May 1, 2010
          Hi Chris,

          Thanks for that, that explains why the one that was just on Fleabay had a packet of valve gear attached to the box in the photo, it was an original, pre Vulcan, version of the kit.

          Cheers

          Ian J

        • stephenjhowe@btinternet.com
          Message 4 of 13 , May 1, 2010
            --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "ianj0trains" <ianaj@...> wrote:

            > Hi Stephen,
            >
            > This intrigues me as I wasn't aware Wrightlines ever released this loco as a whitemetal body, in fact I'm pretty positive they didn't. The only 0-16.5mm model I'm aware of was the Vulcan kit, later sold by others, which was all etched brass.

            Ian,
            This may have been an over-generalisation on my part, I believe the kit was originally by Vulcan and Adrian bought it, I was not aware though that it was all etched, I assumed from ABS's extensive whitemetal ranges that it was whitemetal.

            Incidentally there was a lengthy thread on this subject and other defunct 7mm narrow gauge kits on ngrm-online, a good site to join for those who haven't found it yet. The thread is at:

            http://ngrm-online.com/forum/index.php?topic=1475.0

            Some readers may also not be yet aware that Matt Chivers, son of Roger of Finelines, is reintroducing his Dad's range of 7mm narrow gauge loco body kits under a new label. Details and pictures are on the thread.
            Steve
          • Taylor, David
            Message 5 of 13 , May 1, 2010
              Hi Mick,

              The page you want is this one http://ngrm-online.com/ but its not easy to navigate to, there seems to be no link to it from the index page.
              I reached it by editing the address in the web-browser's address box.

              Cheers,
              Dave.

              Message 6 of 13 , May 1, 2010
                Hi Chris,

                That must be a collectors item now! The kit passed to Vulcan when Merlin decided to concentrate on 16mm scale; from there to Eric Underhill, and finally Wrightlines. Vulcan were the only outfit to produce it in any numbers; I dont think Eric Underhill actually produced any, but sold the remaining stocks with his own label stuck on the Vulcan box. I've certainly only ever seen it in Vulcan packaging. Wrightlines didnt produce any, and I dont think they acquired any stock.

                As for the kit, it was originally designed to fit on a Lima Diesel Shunter chassis. I beleive it was Vulcan who added the choice of etched brass chassis and valvegear. The wheelbase though still matched the 00 diesel (so you still the choice of using that) and is therefore not prototypically correct for the SLR loco. It still looks great though.

                Keep looking, they do come up secondhand quite regularly. Asking the Association Secondhand Sales Officer to look out for one may help.
                I've got one, which is rapidly approaching the top of the "to do" pile.

                Cheers,
                Dave.T

                This intrigues me as I wasn't aware Wrightlines ever released this loco as a whitemetal body, in fact I'm pretty positive they didn't. The only 0-16.5mm model I'm aware of was the Vulcan kit, later sold by others, which was all etched brass. I've two of these, and while the chassis is not easy to put together, it's certainly a better design than several others have been. A fair number of these I think were fitted to Lima 08 chassis as people didn't feel confident to build the brass one, hence (I suspect) the occaisional inference that it was sold as a "body only" kit.

                I've no idea who has the phototools and casting patterns for that kit now, but Adrian Swain would probably be as likely a person to have them as anyone, so is this chassis to be designed by Kevin Trim for a whitemetal body, or a replacement chassis for the etched brass one ?

                Cheers

                Ian J
                Melb, Aust

                --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, stephen howe <stephenjhowe@...> wrote:

                > Tim
                > There may be a glimmer of hope on this particular horizon, talking to Adrian Swain at Shepton he told me he was working with Kevin Trim of Dorset Kits to develop a chassis kit for his whitemetal (Wrightlines) body kit. Kevin corroborated this but said he would not be able to start work on the kit design until early this summer. Given the superb etchings he produced for his Welshpool loco, it is to be hoped this plan comes to fruition. I for one want at least one Sierra Leone loco as do, I suspect many more, perhaps concerted gentle pressure on both manufacturers might help it along?

              • Mick
                Message 7 of 13 , May 1, 2010
                  Hi Dave!
                  Many thanks for the info!
                  I have now registered & look forward to browsing.
                  Thanks again, Mick.

                  --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Taylor, David" <DLTaylor@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Mick,
                  >
                  > The page you want is this one http://ngrm-online.com/ but its not easy to navigate to, there seems to be no link to it from the index page.
                  > I reached it by editing the address in the web-browser's address box.
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  > Dave.
                • ianj0trains
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 1, 2010
                    Hi All,

                    Thanks to those of you who have been able to fill out the gaps in my knowledge of the history of that kit. I wasn't aware the wheelbase was incorrect, but then I've never checked it against a drawing ! As it looks fine, it's not a problem as far as I'm concerned.

                    Given the interest though that obviously exists for this kit, and the (presumed,) increase in modelling of the W&L since the introduction of Kevin Trims kits, it would seem an ideal model to be placed high on the list of "desired" re-releases.

                    Cheers

                    Ian J
                    Melb, Aust.

                    --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Taylor, David" <DLTaylor@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Chris,
                    >
                    > That must be a collectors item now! The kit passed to Vulcan when Merlin decided to concentrate on 16mm scale; from there to Eric Underhill, and finally Wrightlines. Vulcan were the only outfit to produce it in any numbers; I dont think Eric Underhill actually produced any, but sold the remaining stocks with his own label stuck on the Vulcan box. I've certainly only ever seen it in Vulcan packaging. Wrightlines didnt produce any, and I dont think they acquired any stock.
                    >
                    > As for the kit, it was originally designed to fit on a Lima Diesel Shunter chassis. I beleive it was Vulcan who added the choice of etched brass chassis and valvegear. The wheelbase though still matched the 00 diesel (so you still the choice of using that) and is therefore not prototypically correct for the SLR loco. It still looks great though.
                    >
                    > Keep looking, they do come up secondhand quite regularly. Asking the Association Secondhand Sales Officer to look out for one may help.
                    > I've got one, which is rapidly approaching the top of the "to do" pile.
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    > Dave.T

                  • BrianH
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 3, 2010
                      > Also, whilst on the Welshpool theme; does anyone have any ideas about making a little Dougal?
                      >
                      > Regards, Tim

                      Hi Tim,

                      I have made a Dougal lookalike by using a Branchlines Peacock kit. It is not to scale but by replacing the tanks and some of the other details it doesn't look too bad. If you are going to Burton on Saturday, let me know and I'll bring it along.

                      Brian
                    • Tim Halket
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 3, 2010
                        Most regrettably I can't make Burton - do you have any photos you could send
                        me/post on a website?

                        Tim

                        _____

                        > Also, whilst on the Welshpool theme; does anyone have any ideas about
                        making a little Dougal?

                        > Regards, Tim

                        Hi Tim,

                        I have made a Dougal lookalike by using a Branchlines Peacock kit. It is not
                        to scale but by replacing the tanks and some of the other details it doesn't
                        look too bad. If you are going to Burton on Saturday, let me know and I'll
                        bring it along.

                        Brian

                        06:27:00