Re: [7mm NGA] Humble beginnings [Scanned]

  • rsh_bpc_no_1
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 6, 2010
      --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Hingley" <pdh@...> wrote:

      > Don't you mean a Power Dive ??!!

      A power dive !(that made me chuckle!) I guess so, but I've been modelling for years so switching from one subject to another is no big deal (Sssh.... I did buy a Trumpeter 1/48 SU24 fencer last week so I haven't quite kicked the aviation habit ! ha ha !).

      I'm really looking forward to doing this, I've been involved with steam since I was a kid when I was 3 or 4 years old in 1966/67 riding on the footplates of M7's and Q1's shunting carriage stock at Salisbury Station, and riding on 34100 on the coaling road at Salisbury shed (thank god health and safety wasn't around in those days !).
      Then my Dad bought 'Bonnie Prince Charlie' in 1969 with a couple of like minded friends and that was it, but....... I only made model aircraft !

      So now it's a time for a change !

      Cheerio

      Clive Roper 4017
    • David Hughes
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 6, 2010
        Hi Clive,

        Looks good, and I like the 'imagineering'. Do you still live in the Salisbury area? There are 3 of us (14mm gauge) just to the north.

        Cheers,

        David H, #1603

        Wiltshire

        To: 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com
        From: nearlymen@...
        Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 11:47:28 +0000
        Subject: [7mm NGA] Humble beginnings

        Well I've gone from Aviation modeller to Railway Modeller in one fell swoop !

        What attracted me to narrow gauge modelling was that it seemed to have more freedom to use your imagination (not so many rivit counters!), and thus about a year ago I started thinking about building a layout.
        It then struck me what would have happened if the line that run from Salisbury to Fordingbridge and onto Verwood had never been built and instead a Narrow gauge line had been built from Salisbury's original station at Milford, then followed the abandoned workings of the Salisbury & Southampton Canal, then striked south winding its way down to Fordingbridge, and then to connect back to the mainline at Ringwood. My idea for the Salisbury and Fordingbridge Light Railway was born.

        I'm sure I'll make a few errors along the way, it's all part of the learning process but I thought I'd post a few pics of the progress so far. The rolling stock is under way with 5 coaches in the process of being built from a mixture of Peco sides and scratch building (2 No. brakes, 2 No. 3rd's and a 1st/3rd observation coach), and 3 wagons built on Bachmann Chassis. Basically the stock is built from plastic card and based on Lynton and Barnstaple examples, modified to suit chassis length. I've plans for a few more items to build as I go along.

        Link to photos

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/47264558@N08

        As for loco's I intend to build a couple of Manning Wardles 2-6-2's and run these alongside a couple of Bachmann 2-8-0's as the line will be set in the Modern day preservation era, the WHR can have NG15's and NG16's, The Brecon Railway has a Baldwin and so can I !
        Even though the 2-8-0 is slightly underscale it's large physical size makes it fine for 7mm to the ft, and I think it will look great ! (I put a 7mm figure alongside and it looks fine)

        I've also posted a provisional track layout for my my loft, and with min radi of 21" it fits a treat .

        If you have any comments feel free to shout them out as any advice is welcome.

        All the best

        Clive Roper 4017

      • stephen howe
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 6, 2010
          I like the coaches Clive, what is their origin?
          Steve

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 6, 2010
            --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, stephen howe <stephenjhowe@...> wrote:

            > I like the coaches Clive, what is their origin?
            > Steve

            The coaches are scratchbuilt from plastic card and side panels from the Peco Great little trains range. I like these side panels as you can build anything you like from them, but and it's a big but there a bit pricey ! But I've been buying bits for this layout over the last 6 months so I've spread the cost out a bit over time.
            The end panels are just plastic card and microstrip.
            Eventually they'll be mounted on Bachmann Long wheel base arch bar bogies.
            I will though do something different for the roofs as my layout will be set in modern days so no oil lighting, thus the roofs will just have vents as per BR Mk1 coaches (In fact the roofs will look similar to BR Mk1).

            As for prototypes the brake is based on L&B No.15, the open L&B No.11 and the observation coach on L&B No.4. All though have been slightly altered to suit the Peco panels and to standardize the length at 6 compartments.

            The wagons also are based upon Lynton and Barnstaple stock, with the Brake van having a dash of GWR Toad for interest ! (Good Old GWS at Didcot!).

            All the best

            Clive Roper 4017
          • rsh_bpc_no_1
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 6, 2010
              --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, David Hughes <formerchurchwarden@...> wrote:

              > Hi Clive,
              >
              > Looks good, and I like the 'imagineering'. Do you still live in the Salisbury area? There are 3 of us (14mm gauge) just to the north.
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > David H, #1603
              >
              > Wiltshire

              Yes I do !

              Cheers

              Clive Roper 4017
            • David Hughes
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 7, 2010
                Clive,

                From time to time my mate Steve and I hire the village hall in Idmiston to work on his 014 quarry layout. I'll let you know offline when we're next there: you're more than welcome to come along for a chinwag on 7mmNG in general and L&B in particular.

                Cheers,

                David

                To: 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com
                From: nearlymen@...
                Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 18:48:41 +0000

                --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, David Hughes <formerchurchwarden@...> wrote:

                > Hi Clive,
                >
                > Looks good, and I like the 'imagineering'. Do you still live in the Salisbury area? There are 3 of us (14mm gauge) just to the north.
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > David H, #1603
                >
                > Wiltshire

                Yes I do !