Re: [7mmnga] Digest Number 438: Sand Tramways

  • david THOMAS
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 23, 2003
      Vincent
      Model Railways September 1983 has an article with colour illustrations by
      Dave Rowe about the original version of his Leighton Buzzard sand railway.
      I've just found it in my collection of cuttings.

      There is a brief description of the sand washing plant including the use of
      typewriter ribbon for the conveyors and PO relays to agitate the screens.
      Also a description of the working excavator he built for the layout but I
      don't know whether he did a more detailed piece with plans on the washing
      plant.
      Dave's model didn't at that stage include a canal though he did build one
      later and referred to it in the 1983 article so it must have been soon
      afterwards and I'm sure I've seen an article including it with colour
      photographs. I think it was in a later MR and Dave did seem to write for MR
      around that time as I've also seen an earlier article about Axford (May
      1980) but it might have been the RM.
      However, you might find it useful to know - if you didn't already- that one
      of the canal side wharves- Garside's wharf- still exists in Leighton Buzzard
      complete with its semi inset track. It was not part of the LBNGR but served
      Grovebury Quarry and connected with other tracks serving quarries and works
      in the area south of the Dunstable branch and East of the Grand Union Canal.
      It appears to have been horse operated at first then used locomotives. The
      last boatload of sand was shipped from the wharf in 1965 and it could be
      useful for dimensions etc. Apart from the wharf there seems to be very
      little other trace of the system remaining but the wharf itself is on the
      towpath side of the canal so is very easy to access. This appears by the way
      to have been the wharf that inspired Dave Rowe to build his model.
      I hope that helps. I'll let you know if I find more.

      David Thomas

      I am doing a 30" X 72" portable layout based on extraction and
      transportation of sand. It will be similar in concept to the Leighton
      Buzzard operation with the sand being dumped into a narrow boat after a trip
      on the tramway.
      Can somebody direct me to the David Rowe articles on a sand processing
      plant. I thought they were in the Review but a search of my copies back to
      #23 reveal nothing. Were they in the Railway Modeller? Or is there a
      better source of information?
      Thanks for the help,
      Vincent Bradley ,1707
    • B.Rumary
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 24, 2003
        David Rowe did a book for Wild Swan, which I _think_ was called
        "Industrial Modelling". This gave much more detail on his Leighton
        Buzzard sand railways layout, and other projects. This book would be
        the best source for such ideas, but I am not sure if it is still in
        print.

        Brian Rumary, England

        http://freespace.virgin.net/brian.rumary/homepage.htm