Stripping

  • stephenjhowe@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 28, 2009
      Now, that's got your attention, I recently acquired two etched brass and whitemetal GVT coaches via ebay, very nicely built but the wrong colour scheme. Has anyone had experience of paste paint strippers? my problem is I can't 'dunk' the bodies in cellulose or similar fluid because much of the interior detail is styrene, so I need to remove the outer finish only, hence the idea of using paste. I believe there is a substance called 'modelstrip' from the States but I have no experience of it.
      Incidentally Googling 'model strip' produced some interesting - if predictable - results!
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 28, 2009
        Stephen,

        Depends on what it is painted with, but I'm assuming Humbrol or similar.
        From your local supermarket, certainly Sainsbury or Tesco, in the household
        dept, BUSTER. Intended for clearing U bends of hair and grease. You'll also
        need a plastic tub with a lid, and to immerse the models might take more
        than one bottle of Buster. It is strong caustic soda, don't handle the
        liquid without plastic gloves, don't get it in your eyes. I think the safety
        notes on the bottle are scarcely adequate, see if you can find a MSDS for
        caustic soda on the net. If you have kids, dog, cat (or wife) use it where
        they cannot get at it. IF it will take the paint type on the models, it
        isn't good on cellulose. I warm mine on a photo dish heater, 40c, two hours
        is usually enough. If the models have Kadees make sure the steel pins aren't
        touching anything.

        You might need to brush off the last of the paint, wash well, especially
        inside any Kadee couplings or the bronze spring tarnishes.

        AND you can still use the remaining liquid to clear the plug hole.

      • Brian
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 28, 2009
          Stephen,
          Just go to your local hardware store or paint shop and buy paint stripper,
          never mind buying model stuff you will pay twice as much for it, use an old
          paint brush to apply the stripper onto the outside surface you want to
          strip, paint it on and leave it for about 30mins. Wash off with warm water
          and use an old toothbrush to scrub it, any paint that hasn’t come off, just
          dry off the model and re-apply the stripper.
          Brian Millar