UK Listers - Loco in Enfield

  • Dave Balcombe
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 23, 2003
      Hi All,

      Please forgive the cross-posting but curiosity drives me to ask as many I can.

      Last Friday, Just south of Enfield North London I spotted an old loco. It was about two feet from the pavement, behind chain link fencing, in the forecourt of a timber yard. It was somewhere close to Ponders End Industrial Estate.

      I'm afraid I can't be more precise but I was more occupied with other things at the time. I could not take time to study it as I was actually passing by in a funeral procession. We did happen to get stuck in traffic for a couple of moments though, right beside it.

      I could not see the wheels but would guess that it was 0-4-0 and I'm sure narrow gauge. It was painted in that rich blue so loved by some Indian railways, though the outline seemed to me vaguely Austrian. It was quite scruffy and did not look as if it had been refurbished since it quit service. It had a fairly large balloon stack, the balloon part painted black. At a guess I would say that it has been there for some years, so I thought that possibly someone out there may have some info about it.

      If not, I'll try to retrace my steps, maybe contact the undertakers and check the route we took, and get up there and get some pictures. Hopefully the timber yard owner may have some history. But I thought I'd start with you lot. Anyone?

      Regards

      Dave Balcombe UK

      oldgoat@...

      http://www.teetering.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

      Outgoing Emails are automatically checked for viruses