W&L Wasp

  • BrianH
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 6, 2009
      I spoke to Alan Doughty(?) at ExpoNG on Saturday about the possibility of producing a 7mm version of the 4mm kit for the Wasp which he does. Obviously he will need to cover costs to make it viable, so if anyone else would be interested please let me know. As the kit is a 'scratch aid', the roof and motor will need to be provided by the builder. Alan says he can do a flat roof version as in the 4mm etch or a roof with half etched lines where only the ends will need filling and shaping, apparently he has done this for 16mm. For anyone not familiar with the Wasp I will post a photo. I saw a 4mm sample and noted etched lines on the ends to help with pianting the stripes.

      Brian
    • Tony Spencer
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 6, 2009
        Lynton & Lynmouth

        7mm scale trains running on N.G. track. A carefully researched
        representation of the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway in its heyday.The last
        mile of that railway as it approaches Lynton and Lynmouth station is
        recreated here in full details of both railway and scenery.

        This is built by Phil Craythorn. Can anyone fill in any more details
        p[lease.

        Tony S.

        I spoke to Alan Doughty(?) at ExpoNG on Saturday about the possibility of
        producing a 7mm version of the 4mm kit for the Wasp which he does. Obviously
        he will need to cover costs to make it viable, so if anyone else would be
        interested please let me know. As the kit is a 'scratch aid', the roof and
        motor will need to be provided by the builder. Alan says he can do a flat
        roof version as in the 4mm etch or a roof with half etched lines where only
        the ends will need filling and shaping, apparently he has done this for
        16mm. For anyone not familiar with the Wasp I will post a photo. I saw a 4mm
        sample and noted etched lines on the ends to help with pianting the stripes.

        Brian

        19:52:00

      • Brian Millar
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 6, 2009
          Brian,
          I would have to check and see if I still have the packet but here in Oz we
          use to be able to buy decal sheets with stripping on it in a couple of
          different sized stripes as well as colours, so you wouldn't need etch lines
          etc.

          Cheers
          Brian Millar
          Qld. Aust.
          >I spoke to Alan Doughty(?) at ExpoNG on Saturday about the possibility of
          >producing a 7mm version of the 4mm kit for the Wasp which he does.
          >Obviously he will need to cover costs to make it viable, so if anyone else
          >would be interested please let me know. As the kit is a 'scratch aid', the
          >roof and motor will need to be provided by the builder. Alan says he can do
          >a flat roof version as in the 4mm etch or a roof with half etched lines
          >where only the ends will need filling and shaping, apparently he has done
          >this for 16mm. For anyone not familiar with the Wasp I will post a photo. I
          >saw a 4mm sample and noted etched lines on the ends to help with pianting
          >the stripes.
          >
          > Brian

          19:51:00
        • stuart
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 6, 2009
            tony
            this is a question i have asked on the list maybe a year or so ago.
            not much info was forthcoming tho.
            i think it was the same layout i saw at keighley a few years ago
            and very nice it was.
            stuart

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 6, 2009
              Allen Doherty, to be correct, and his business is called Worsley Works.

              I, too had a conversation with Allen at Swanley, probably soon after Brian, during which Allenb asked me to put the request for support for a 7mm scale 'Wasp' into my Trade News report, asking members to contact Allen directly - so I have!

              May I ask members who read Brian's message AND my report in the next Narrow News to contact EITHER Allen OR Brian, but NOT BOTH!
              It would be unfair on Allen if support appeared greater than the fact.

              Thank you,

              Adrian - TLO

              --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "BrianH" <brianhunt@...> wrote:

              > I spoke to Alan Doughty(?) at ExpoNG on Saturday about the possibility of producing a 7mm version of the 4mm kit for the Wasp which he does. Obviously he will need to cover costs to make it viable, so if anyone else would be interested please let me know. As the kit is a 'scratch aid', the roof and motor will need to be provided by the builder. Alan says he can do a flat roof version as in the 4mm etch or a roof with half etched lines where only the ends will need filling and shaping, apparently he has done this for 16mm. For anyone not familiar with the Wasp I will post a photo. I saw a 4mm sample and noted etched lines on the ends to help with pianting the stripes.
              >
              > Brian

            • Gary Cox
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 6, 2009
                Tony

                The layout was built by Phil Craythorn and is based in the West Midlands. I
                think Phil names his layout 'Lynton and Lynmouth' The track plan is
                faithfully recreated although there has had to be a compromise with scale
                length.

                I think Phil still occasionally exhibits the layout but not as regularly as
                he once did.

                The layout is 14mm gauge, all hand laid track and pretty much all scratch
                built stock. Phil did tell me once that he found it easier to scratch build
                the locos than construct the kits that were available at the time.

                There is a slide show on the O Gauge Guild web site (number 148) - I think
                you may need to be a member to access this though. I am certain that at
                least 1 article has been published but I don't have a copy so I am not sure
                which magazine.

                I hope this helps a little

                Gary

                _____

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 6, 2009
                  An article appeared in Railway Modeller, I'm sure, but don't ask me which issue, nor how long ago!

                  Adrian

                  --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Cox" <gary.cox3@...> wrote:

                  > Tony
                  >

                  > The layout was built by Phil Craythorn and is based in the West Midlands. I
                  > think Phil names his layout 'Lynton and Lynmouth' The track plan is
                  > faithfully recreated although there has had to be a compromise with scale
                  > length.
                  >
                  > I think Phil still occasionally exhibits the layout but not as regularly as
                  > he once did.
                  >
                  > The layout is 14mm gauge, all hand laid track and pretty much all scratch
                  > built stock. Phil did tell me once that he found it easier to scratch build
                  > the locos than construct the kits that were available at the time.
                  >

                  > There is a slide show on the O Gauge Guild web site (number 148) - I think
                  > you may need to be a member to access this though. I am certain that at
                  > least 1 article has been published but I don't have a copy so I am not sure
                  > which magazine.
                  >

                  > I hope this helps a little
                  >

                  > Gary
                  >

                  > _____

                • Taylor, David
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 7, 2009
                    I'm sure I saw a colour feature on it in British Railway Modelling, but I can't find the issue.
                    A few pictures (by Barry Norman) appeared in the Wild Swan book Narrow Gauge Railway Modelling by Peter Kazer

                    Hope this helps,
                    Dave.T
                    An article appeared in Railway Modeller, I'm sure, but don't ask me which issue, nor how long ago!

                    Adrian

                    --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Cox" <gary.cox3@...> wrote:

                    > Tony
                    >

                    > The layout was built by Phil Craythorn and is based in the West Midlands. I
                    > think Phil names his layout 'Lynton and Lynmouth' The track plan is
                    > faithfully recreated although there has had to be a compromise with scale
                    > length.
                    >
                    > I think Phil still occasionally exhibits the layout but not as regularly as
                    > he once did.
                    >
                    > The layout is 14mm gauge, all hand laid track and pretty much all scratch
                    > built stock. Phil did tell me once that he found it easier to scratch build
                    > the locos than construct the kits that were available at the time.
                    >

                    > There is a slide show on the O Gauge Guild web site (number 148) - I think
                    > you may need to be a member to access this though. I am certain that at
                    > least 1 article has been published but I don't have a copy so I am not sure
                    > which magazine.
                    >

                    > I hope this helps a little
                    >

                    > Gary
                    >

                    > _____

                  • Andrew Young
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 9, 2009
                      A feature on the 'Lynton & Lynmouth' layout appeared in Narrow Lines No 89, article available from the Archivist.

                      It wasn't overly dificult to find:
                      1) Go to http://www.7mmnga.org.uk/sales/archives.asp
                      2) Type in 'Lynton'
                      3) Click search