Tralee & Dingle Hunslets

  • stephenjhowe@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2009
      Hi all,

      I wonder if anyone has any information regarding the layout of the tank tops on these locos?

      I am planning a version designed to fit a 2-6-2 chassis I have acquired and whilst I have plenty of reference of the beasts from all angles plus a reasonable drawing showing side and front, I have not located any details of the plan view. The indications are that the tank tops were flush with the top of the boiler and the front views show the tank fronts fitted around the boiler. Were the tank tops carried right across as a flat sheet enclosing the boiler or did they finish at the boiler's outer circumfrence and leave a gap not visible from the ground?

      Any views on the matter would be appreciated.

      Steve
    • Mick
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2009
        Hi,
        I expect you have already investigated tinternet but, just in case, the following link might shed some light!
        http://www.tdlr.org.uk/pixold1.htm
        Good luck, Robert, No. 2823.

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2009
          Thanks very much for this Robert, I had found this site some while back - and then forgotten to bookmark it, interesting to see the older views show some locos without the closed in tank fronts showing clearly the width of the tanks and the gap between them and boiler. Also the superb model by Paul Titmuss indicates the tank tops stop short, leaving a gap. I wonder if later rebuilds had tanks with inner faces shaped to follow the boiler profile - possibly to increase capacity?

          Steve

          --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Mick" <diggypatch@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          > I expect you have already investigated tinternet but, just in case, the following link might shed some light!
          > http://www.tdlr.org.uk/pixold1.htm
          > Good luck, Robert, No. 2823.

        • Mick
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2009
            Hi! Again!
            I have noticed that it was common practice to have tanks which were rectangular in cross-section & 'stood' on the footplate. A 'filler' plate was often fitted, filling the gap between tank & boiler. I suspect that these plates got 'lost' sometimes! This infill panel is very noticeable on Brigadelok & Pechot-Bourdon locos. The smokebox to tank gap at the front was also filled but, I suspect, that this was a 'structural' part of the whole assembly!
            Hope you find the info you need, Robert. No. 2823.

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 1, 2009
              -- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "stephenjhowe@..." <stephenjhowe@...> wrote:
              I wonder if later rebuilds had tanks with inner faces shaped to follow the boiler profile - possibly to increase capacity?

              > Steve

              I don't think so, on several, practical, grounds.

              1. A simple, rectangular, tank is very easy to construct - curved shapes are complicated and, importantly, expensive to build.
              2. A side tank that followed the profile over the top of the boiler would be a nightmare in the workshop - if you wanted to lift the boiler the tanks would have to come off frst and, as they were built wth the footplate as their base......
              3. There would have been no need to increase tank capacity, the line was well-served with watering places.

              Adrian
            • stephenjhowe@btinternet.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 2, 2009
                Adrian,
                Your observations make absolute sense of course. It may have been that there was platework on the tops of the tanks to close the gap to the boiler as Robert suggests, most pictures show the tank fronts closed in apart from a couple of photos of 3T where either this was not done or they had been taken off and show the profile of the tanks clearly as rectangular.

                Cheers
                Steve

                --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "adriangrayfr" <adrian@...> wrote:

                > -- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "stephenjhowe@" <stephenjhowe@> wrote:
                > I wonder if later rebuilds had tanks with inner faces shaped to follow the boiler profile - possibly to increase capacity?
                > >
                > > Steve
                > >
                > I don't think so, on several, practical, grounds.
                >
                > 1. A simple, rectangular, tank is very easy to construct - curved shapes are complicated and, importantly, expensive to build.
                > 2. A side tank that followed the profile over the top of the boiler would be a nightmare in the workshop - if you wanted to lift the boiler the tanks would have to come off frst and, as they were built wth the footplate as their base......
                > 3. There would have been no need to increase tank capacity, the line was well-served with watering places.
                >
                > Adrian

              • Taylor, David
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 2, 2009
                  What a superb site, a lot of photos I've never seen before.
                  Thanks very much,
                  Dave.T