Re: [7mm NGA] Dorset Kits W&L loco

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 5, 2009
      Brian,

      That was the method I tried to use - I've done several locos before, y'know.

      However, you haven't read my original message carefully, have you?

      This loco kit is NOT brass, that one can work easily, this one is 20thou nickel silver and the boiler/firebox unit is full thickness all over (ie no half etching). THAT is why it is awkward to get right, not my incompetence!

      Adrian

      --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Millar" <rallim56@...> wrote:

      > Adrian,
      > If ever there is a 'next time' try a piece of rod slightly smaller then the
      > ID of the boiler once its together, you need the rod to be long enough to
      > clamp one end in your vice, and sufficient length protruding slightly longer
      > then the boiler, now using your thumb and index fingers on both hands work
      > the brass a little bit at a time all the way around and progressively roll
      > the brass until the ends meet, keep checking to ensure the end shape is
      > round and not oblong, once this is done you can place in the formers, and
      > try using a gas torch for soldering, you'll find it 100 times better, with
      > instant heat and the solder with run all the way around, giving you the
      > neatest solder joint you have ever seen.
      > Cheers
      > Brian Millar
      > Qld. Aust.

    • Brian Lewis
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 5, 2009
        Adrian,

        Have you never heard of Carr's Hot Tape?

        It is like cellotape, but will withstand normal soldering
        temperatures easily.

        Regards

        Brian Lewis