W&L Cattle vans

  • iais303emd <gsoutham@virtualcity.com.au>
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 28, 2003
      Can anyone let me know if there is a kit for the W & L Cattle vans.
      Or if not where I can get some information.
      All I have is a half picture in the Steam Days article on the line.
      I know Pt Wynstay do a kit for the sheep vans.
      Hoping someone can help

      Cheers

      Graham Southam
    • Tony Clark
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 28, 2003
        Hi There
        There were a lot of W&L drawings in the Model Railway Constructor in the 50's.
        If you have no luck elsewhere e-mail me off list and I will look and see if
        I have a drawing.
        regards Tony

        At 05:30 29/01/2003 +0000, you wrote:
        >Can anyone let me know if there is a kit for the W & L Cattle vans.
        >Or if not where I can get some information.
        > All I have is a half picture in the Steam Days article on the line.
        >I know Pt Wynstay do a kit for the sheep vans.
        >Hoping someone can help
        >
        >Cheers
        >
        >Graham Southam

      • David Leslie Taylor
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 29, 2003
          Hi Graham,
          Have you checked the Narrow Lines index? There
          were some drawings of W&L freight stock some years ago (or
          was it just the brake vans? I don't have the index to
          hand) These would be available from Archives.
          There is a kit for the cattle vans, a resin casting
          but I can't vouch for the quality. I forget the name of the
          manufacturer, but have you looked at the data sheets on kit
          availability?
          All the best,
          Dave.

          On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 05:30:50 -0000 "iais303emd
          <gsoutham@...>"
          <gsoutham@...> wrote:

          > Can anyone let me know if there is a kit for the W & L Cattle vans.
          > Or if not where I can get some information.
          > All I have is a half picture in the Steam Days article on the line.
          > I know Pt Wynstay do a kit for the sheep vans.
          > Hoping someone can help
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Graham Southam

          ----------------------
          David Leslie Taylor
          University of Exeter
        • Vincent Bradley
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 29, 2003
            Greetings,
            Just got my new Review and I must say Roy has done it again.
            It is amazing how good this magazine gets. I am presently
            working on converting some 0-4-2 Porters into 0-4-0's due to
            a very sharp curve. Has anybody revised the tank on these
            engines to look less like a Porter and more conventional? If
            so how?
            Take care, Vincent 1707

            <gsoutham@...> wrote:

            > Can anyone let me know if there is a kit for the W & L Cattle vans.
            > Or if not where I can get some information.
            > All I have is a half picture in the Steam Days article on the line.
            > I know Pt Wynstay do a kit for the sheep vans.
            > Hoping someone can help
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > Graham Southam

          • howardmartin
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 29, 2003
              Vince

              Brian Fayle has anglicised 2 of his Porters to make them look 'Bagnall
              like', to extent that Wrightlines do a conversion kit, whcih can be ordered
              through Association Sales. An article did appear in Narrow Lines about a
              year ago on how he did it

              Howard Martin
              > Just got my new Review and I must say Roy has done it again.
              > It is amazing how good this magazine gets. I am presently
              > working on converting some 0-4-2 Porters into 0-4-0's due to
              > a very sharp curve. Has anybody revised the tank on these
              > engines to look less like a Porter and more conventional? If
              > so how?
              > Take care, Vincent 1707

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Vincent Bradley
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 29, 2003
                Howard,
                I have seen these in person and they capture the essence but still have the
                tell tale dome and tank shape. I was wondering if somebody makes or has
                made a replacement tank or modified the existing tank.
                Take care, Vincent

                > Just got my new Review and I must say Roy has done it again.
                > It is amazing how good this magazine gets. I am presently
                > working on converting some 0-4-2 Porters into 0-4-0's due to
                > a very sharp curve. Has anybody revised the tank on these
                > engines to look less like a Porter and more conventional? If
                > so how?
                > Take care, Vincent 1707

              • Alan Rogers
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 29, 2003
                  Vince

                  Have a look at http://www1.seaple.icc.ne.jp/nkoizumi/Btank.htm for a
                  conversion by fellow member N Koizumi. Judging by his site, his English is
                  far better than my Japanese! He refers to an article in Narrow Gauge & Short
                  Line Gazette but he doesn't say if this is a write-up of his conversion or
                  one that he followed.

                  Either way, I think that this is something close to what you're looking for.
                  He has even written a book for which he provides a free English translation
                  for download from his site. The bad news is that this is a scratch
                  conversion - there is no kit as far as I know

                  Hopefully, this is some help.

                  Alan Rogers
                  DreamGenius on the WWW
                  Thin Controller on the SHIRly
                • Vincent Bradley
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 29, 2003
                    Alan,
                    Thanks for the site. I must have missed this in the Gazette. I will look
                    it up and see how it was done. Very nice modeling. I don't mind scratch
                    building and the picture shows he raised the boiler to cover the motor.
                    That had not occured to me. A very nicely proportioned engine.
                    Vincent

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 29, 2003

                      According to my old and well thumbed copy of Leleux’s index you want Constructors page 122 1953, page 81 1955 and page 123 1956. Constructors stadted a new volume in Jan each year and the pages for each month followed on from the previous month. Page 81 1955 has the van, cattle and sheep trucks, the brake van and the open. If you cannot find copies, let me know and next time I go to the Keighley and Worth valley I’ll pop into the Vintage Carriages trust magazine room and see if they have back copies.

                      There were a lot of W&L drawings in the Model Railway Constructor in the 50's.
                      If you have no luck elsewhere e-mail me off list and I will look and see if
                      I have a drawing.
                      regards Tony

                      At 05:30 29/01/2003 +0000, you wrote:
                      >Can anyone let me know if there is a kit for the W & L Cattle vans.
                      >Or if not where I can get some information.
                      >  All I have is a half picture in the  Steam Days article on the line.
                      >I know Pt Wynstay do a kit for the sheep vans.
                      >Hoping someone can help
                      >
                      >Cheers
                      >
                      >Graham Southam

                    • Andrew Young
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 29, 2003
                        Graham,

                        For the Mercian Models kit, follow this link to the web page:
                        http://www.modelrailways.tv/narrow_gauge/rolling_stock.htm

                        Andy

                        > On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 05:30:50 -0000 "iais303emd
                        > <gsoutham@...>"
                        > <gsoutham@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > Can anyone let me know if there is a kit for the W & L Cattle vans.
                        > > Or if not where I can get some information.
                        > > All I have is a half picture in the Steam Days article on the line.
                        > > I know Pt Wynstay do a kit for the sheep vans.
                        > > Hoping someone can help
                        > >
                        > > Cheers
                        > >
                        > > Graham Southam

                      • Vincent Bradley
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 30, 2003
                          Alan,
                          Looked it up last night, very good article. Must have missed it drooling
                          over the Red Stag Layout. Thanks for the help. I am going to raise my
                          boiler about half the amount he did and build a saddle tank similar in shape
                          to a Hunslet Alice.
                          Take care, Vincent

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 30, 2003
                            Vince

                            Don't forget that Porters as built had bar fames and the UK sort of beastie
                            would have plate frames. Just extend those on the Bachman forward and
                            backward with styrene strip. Doing this makes a big difference to the look.

                            Let us know how you do.

                            Brian