Baldwin On30 Gas Mechanical (On30)

  • charles schuster
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 22, 2008
      Seasons Greetings to NGa Guys!

      What is the diameter of the wheels on the 0-4-0 Baldwin 50hp[Gas
      Mechanical 60cm gauge ~ WW1 ntrench railway locomotive?

      Is this the same dimension/wheel diameter as FR's "Molwyn"?

      Is there any adaptable RTR OO/HO mechanism that might suit?
      See... <http://www.009gasmechanical.co.uk/history.html>
      From the OO9 web-site.

      Cheers,

      Has from Oz
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 23, 2008
        --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "charles schuster" <chasschuster@...>
        wrote:

        > Seasons Greetings to NGa Guys!
        >
        > What is the diameter of the wheels on the 0-4-0 Baldwin 50hp[Gas
        > Mechanical 60cm gauge ~ WW1 ntrench railway locomotive?
        >
        > Is this the same dimension/wheel diameter as FR's "Molwyn"?
        >
        > Is there any adaptable RTR OO/HO mechanism that might suit?
        > See... <http://www.009gasmechanical.co.uk/history.html>
        > From the OO9 web-site.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Has from Oz

        Chas,

        The FR's Moelwyn IS/WAS a Baldwin 45hp Gas Mechanical to 60cm gauge
        for French Artillery use during WW1 - in other words, exactly what
        you are asking about!!

        Driving wheel diameter is 2ft 2in (say 15mm in 7mm scale) and with a
        short wheelbase of only 4ft I have never yet managed to find a
        suitable donor mechanism.
        In any case, as the tractor has very distinctive and airy bar frames
        installing a donor mechanism would significantly detract from the
        appearance of any model, IMHO.

        Hope that helps!

        Adrian - FR Archivist
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 23, 2008
          Adrian,

          Unless David Butler has got them all, have a look at Underground Ernie. WB
          maybe a smidgen short, but I reckon a bit of ingenuity might make something
          out of it.

        • martincoombsuk
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 23, 2008
            --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Sharp" <robertfairlie@...> wrote:

            > Adrian,
            >

            > Unless David Butler has got them all, have a look at Underground
            Ernie. WB
            > maybe a smidgen short, but I reckon a bit of ingenuity might make
            something
            > out of it.
            >

            > Frank

            Wheelbase is 25mm, if you check out this thread you can see pictures
            of one I hacked up.

            http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=4603&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=50

            Martin
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 23, 2008
              Martin,

              I've only had a quick look, but I'd twigged that the outside frames could
              go. Have you (or David) found out how the metal wheels fit in the nylon
              axles. I'm wondering if you can remove the wheels, fit either longer axles
              to the wheels or rewheel it with extended axles and fit outside cranks?

              Frank

              _,___

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 23, 2008
                wrote:

                > Adrian,
                > Unless David Butler has got them all, have a look at Underground
                Ernie. WB
                > maybe a smidgen short, but I reckon a bit of ingenuity might make
                something
                > out of it.
                > Frank

                Not for me Frank. If I'm ever going to build Moelwyn I'm going to do
                it properly - 14mm gauge to start with which rather precludes a bodge-
                up from an RTR chassis.
                Lurking in the "One Day Drawer" is a BE Models, 1:48 scale etched kit
                with a set of profile milled frames produced as a test piece by John
                Taylor (advertises in NGIRM).
                John's frames are exquisite and I heartily recommend his profile
                milling service if anyone ever needs such a thing.
                Sadly the rest of the kit is far less inspiring - but it is all there
                is as there was virtually nil reaction to Pete McParlin's (Backwoods)
                call for interest in a truly 7mm scale, RTR model of this fascinating
                prototype.

                Regards,

                Adrian
              • martincoombsuk
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 23, 2008

                  The wheels have a small metal stub axle attached to the back of the
                  wheel which is a push fit into the hollow plastic tube axle.
                  How long the stub axle is I don't know because I have only pulled it
                  out a bit to see how it was fitted.

                  The only problem I can see with gauge narrowing or widening is
                  adjusting the wheel holding/pick-up arrangement.

                  Martin

                  --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Sharp" <robertfairlie@...> wrote:

                  > Martin,
                  >

                  > I've only had a quick look, but I'd twigged that the outside frames
                  could
                  > go. Have you (or David) found out how the metal wheels fit in the nylon
                  > axles. I'm wondering if you can remove the wheels, fit either longer
                  axles
                  > to the wheels or rewheel it with extended axles and fit outside cranks?
                  >

                  > Frank
                  >

                  > _,___

                • Brian Millar
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 23, 2008
                    Charlie,
                    You might be better off talking to Geoff Baxter at Hollywood Foundry, and
                    use one of his mechs, or check the wheelbase on Bachmann's Gas mechanical
                    loco, you may be able to add larger diameter wheels.
                    Cheers
                    Brian Millar
                    Qld. Aust.
                    > The wheels have a small metal stub axle attached to the back of the
                    > wheel which is a push fit into the hollow plastic tube axle.
                    > How long the stub axle is I don't know because I have only pulled it
                    > out a bit to see how it was fitted.
                    >
                    > The only problem I can see with gauge narrowing or widening is
                    > adjusting the wheel holding/pick-up arrangement.
                    >
                    > Martin
                    >
                    > --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Sharp" <robertfairlie@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> Martin,
                    >>

                    >> I've only had a quick look, but I'd twigged that the outside frames
                    > could
                    >> go. Have you (or David) found out how the metal wheels fit in the nylon
                    >> axles. I'm wondering if you can remove the wheels, fit either longer
                    > axles
                    >> to the wheels or rewheel it with extended axles and fit outside cranks?
                    >>

                    >> Frank
                    >>

                    >> _,___

                    11:23 AM
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 23, 2008
                      Adrian,

                      John only lives a good mile from me. We often share transport to the NGRS
                      meetings in Leeds.

                      I've heard nothing but praise for his milling service, though I haven't used
                      it (yet)

                      Frank

                      P.S. I've had better look at Ernie, it will do 14mm without much problem,
                      the 'block' might be narrow enough to do 12mm as well. It might make a
                      gravity train!

                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 23, 2008
                        Martin,

                        I've had a look now. The stub axles are about 1mm diameter. I reckon you can
                        push off the wheels and put an extended 1mm axle through the wheel. You can
                        then drill right through the pickup/retainer. A thin wire could be soldered
                        to the p/r and bear on the axles for pickup. You then sleeve the extended
                        axle with a bit of brass and put cranks on it.

                        Mind you at present rate I'll have forgotten that and have a completely
                        different use for it when I get to use it.

                        Frank

                        P.S. hold an axle up to a good light, you'll see the axle inside the plastic
                        well enough to estimate the length.

                        _,___

                      • bill ferguson
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 24, 2008
                          Hi all,
                          I think a chassis made for the mule would be better and not cutting
                          up a rtr type as it would take away from the model.
                          I was thinking of making a ready to run model if there
                          was enough interest.
                          Does anyone know where i can get suitable wheels.
                          I might get this chap you seem to be talking about to do the chassis.
                          I could cast the chassis in resin with nickle rods.
                          This would bring down the price by alot.
                          Your thoughts please.
                          Festive regards
                          Bill

                          > Martin,
                          >

                          > I've had a look now. The stub axles are about 1mm diameter. I
                          reckon you can
                          > push off the wheels and put an extended 1mm axle through the
                          wheel. You can
                          > then drill right through the pickup/retainer. A thin wire could be
                          soldered
                          > to the p/r and bear on the axles for pickup. You then sleeve the
                          extended
                          > axle with a bit of brass and put cranks on it.
                          >

                          > Mind you at present rate I'll have forgotten that and have a
                          completely
                          > different use for it when I get to use it.
                          >

                          > Frank
                          >

                          > P.S. hold an axle up to a good light, you'll see the axle inside
                          the plastic
                          > well enough to estimate the length.
                          >

                          > _,___

                        • martincoombsuk
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 25, 2008
                            You could try Kay Butler at Keykits.

                            She milled me a chassis and rods, also supplied wheels and axles for
                            my Chivers 2-6-2 body kit and made a lovely job of it.

                            Martin

                            --- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, "bill ferguson" <jw.fergusonky11@...>

                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 29, 2008
                              wrote:

                              > Hi all,
                              > I think a chassis made for the mule would be better and not cutting
                              > up a rtr type as it would take away from the model.
                              > I was thinking of making a ready to run model if there
                              > was enough interest.
                              > Does anyone know where i can get suitable wheels.
                              > I might get this chap you seem to be talking about to do the
                              chassis.
                              > I could cast the chassis in resin with nickle rods.
                              > This would bring down the price by alot.
                              > Your thoughts please.
                              > Festive regards
                              > Bill

                              I get the impression Bill is talking about a one piece casting, about
                              which I would say, "Only if you can ensure that the chassisis
                              ABSOLUTELY square and true and accurately representing the bar frames
                              of original would it be worth trying to cast in resin."
                              Frankly (and I don't mean this as a personal comment about Bill) I
                              cannot see that being possible.
                              In an ideal world someone far cleverer then me would write the
                              digital programme to have the chassis produced by 'rapid
                              prototyping', but I doubt it could be justified!

                              For my money (but I ain't paying!!) profile milling is the perfect
                              answer and, as I wrote earlier, John Taylor has already done the hard
                              work for that. His original production is 1:48 but, as I understand
                              PM techniques, once a master/pattern has been made it is possible to
                              adjust the ratio at which the output is produced so milling frames at
                              1:43 should not be a problem.
                              I also forgot to mention that the 1:48 side frames also came with PM
                              rods, so the job really IS done - if only we could find the means to
                              produce bodies to match their quality!

                              To be really worthwhile the bodies need to have a good representation
                              of the louvred doors of the engine compartment. This is where the BE
                              Models etched kit falls down as it merely has half-etched lines to
                              suggest the louvres and they don't give the relief essential for a
                              convincing model.

                              Adrian
                            • bill ferguson
                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 29, 2008
                                Aiyup Adrian,
                                I would have made the chassis as sides to glue together, but this
                                kit you talk about.
                                Is it possible to talk to this gentleman and maybe get something
                                organized?
                                Certainly the top is dooable quite easily.
                                Cheers
                                Bill

                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 29, 2008
                                  Adrian,

                                  I've found Bill John's phone number, I don't believe in posting someone's
                                  details on an open forum.