RE: [7mm NGA] metal cleaning [Scanned]

  • David Hughes
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 10, 2008
      George,

      There's the killer for me: "but it does show up any bad soldering on a model in a real hurry as that preciousdetail vibrates off to the bottom of your acid bath ..."

      Thanks,

      David

      To: 7mmnga@yahoogroups.comFrom: drcassiar@...: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 19:11:33 +0000Subject: Re: [7mm NGA] metal cleaning [Scanned]

      Unfortunately most of the bits of our current 12":1' kit are a wee bitbig for the sink, and the swedes don't really go in for baths. We usean old 45 gallon drum instead (for the train bits. The bi-peds get ashower!)An ultrasonic bath works a treat for cleaning things up. We use oneall the time as a first stage for cleaning up labware, but it doesshow up any bad soldering on a model in a real hurry as that preciousdetail vibrates off to the bottom of your acid bath ...George! #2493--- In 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com, David Hughes <formerchurchwarden@...>wrote:>> > George,> > Re "Speaking as a railway preservation volunteer, soaking in a weakacid for a couple of days is great for loosening the crud" - don'tyour family complain about not being able to get into the bathroom?> > Seriously, for small pieces of stuff would the physical method of anultrasound bath work? I bought my wife one for cleaning jewellery, andthe thought of (mis-)appropriating it just crossed my mind.> > David H> #1603 (nothing like 3402: where did I get that from!)

    • Brian Rumary
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 14, 2008
        Drcassiar wrote:

        > An ultrasonic bath works a treat for cleaning things up. We use one
        > all the time as a first stage for cleaning up labware, but it does
        > show up any bad soldering on a model in a real hurry as that precious
        > detail vibrates off to the bottom of your acid bath ...

        I understand that it also destroys "super-glue" joins as well.

        Brian Rumary, England

        www.rumary.co.uk