RE: [7mm NGA] Re: UK Visit

  • Nigel Ford
    Message 1 of 64 , Aug 19, 2008
      Ha,ha now I know why I go by car!

      Nigel

      http://www.rabble-7mmfigures.co.uk/

      From: 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com [mailto:7mmnga@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
      David Woodcock
      Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 9:32 PM
      To: 7mmnga@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [7mm NGA] Re: UK Visit

      Nigel Ford wrote:

      "yes you can get there from London (to Telford) by Direct
      inter-city."

      Don't be silly, Nigel, the O gauge convention is on over a weekend,
      and we don't seem to be able to manage DIRECT INTERCITY travel by
      rail on Saturdays and Sundays anymore! It is "round the houses" on
      infrequent packed-solid services using a slower diversionary route if
      you are lucky, on-and-off rail replacement buses if you are not.

      If Russell wants to travel to/from Telford by rail, he would be well
      advised to see what is possible by using the rail journey planner on

      www.nationalrail.co.uk

      inputting his precise desired dates and times of travel.

      Remember too that affordable tickets are only sold in advance.

      David Woodcock

      (who gave up on weekend rail travel ten years ago despite getting it
      for free!)

    • Andrew Young
      Message 64 of 64 , Sep 17, 2008
        Russell,

        Glad you enjoyed yourself, though I doubt you're the only one who lost a few ounds that weekend.

        I visited on the Saturday, making an idealstop off point on the way from home (near Burton) to spending a week in Wales by the coast. For once though, as I approached Telford the rain actually stopped and the clouds cleared, making a change to the normal gathering gloom. The weather got better during the week, the weather on Friday and Saturday was more beach than steam railway weather.

        Regarding your question about class 67s. The 67s and coaches are I believe being used until their own rolling stock is built, running them in top and tail mode is caused by a lack of run round crossover at Marylebone.

        Cheers,
        Andrew