Re: [7mmnga] new member

  • John Clover
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 13, 2002
      I went to the railway and measured the ballast, then then scaled it down, Next I go to my local quarry and get 'quarry dust D5' which I sift to get the appropriate size.  Though of course a 'sausage' shaped stone 5mm in diameter will slip through the 5mm mesh and be quite inappropriate for our purposes.

      Others I've heard of go out into the street after the road has been gritted and sweep up a small quanitity from the side where the traffic has pushed it. :-)

      I work in various scales from 1:24 downwards so need a selection of sizes.  Although small stuff helps to bind the larger stones so a sifter giving you the largest 'scale' size is what you want.  Mesh comes in various grades though if you are lucky a common and garden household sieve could give you what you want.  It does for me.
      johnclover@...
      Dunedin   New Zealand

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 14, 2002
        Hi John,
        I too, use N gauge ballast, from Greenscene.
        Sorry, I meant to check the numbers, but the main one I use
        is a grey-brown-ish colour, which stays that colour when
        soaked in glue (just goes a bit darker). I mix in other
        colours, plus a bit of sawdust and grey flock, to make it
        look old and a bit tatty.
        Take care with what is sold as "granite" ballast,
        it looks the right grey colour in the packet, but takes on
        a blue-ish tinge when soaked in glue.
        There was a long discussion on this site about
        ballasting a few months ago, which may be accessible from
        the website archive.
        Dave.T

        On Wed, 13 Nov 2002 18:21:56 -0000 howardmartin
        <howardmartin@...> wrote:

        > John
        >
        > I use N gauge ballast. Everything else is too chunky
        >
        > Howard

        ----------------------
        David Leslie Taylor
        University of Exeter
      • P-J Sanders
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 30, 2007
          hello Peter
          I am another peter j, but normally refered to as P-J Sanders and am a
          Junior member (the!). Im glad to see another member of the commity is
          now online! anyway i am a ready contributor when needed which reminds
          me to send those photos off to mike for Narrow Lines!
          welcome from P-J